SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Genoa Tracks on Cap Rail

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  johnbanfield 
#1 · (Edited)
The Schaefer genoa tracks on Crazy Fish are looking pretty beat up, particularly when sitting on a freshly varnished cap rail. Also with 9 initial coats of varnish and a few maintenance coats the buildup of varnish under the T-track is such that the cars are very difficult to move, particularly without a rubber mallet.

The solution I am thinking of is to replace the track with Harken track that supports ball-bearing cars - where the base of the cars don't ride directly above the cap rail surface.

It looks like a major job to replace the genoa tracks
1.) Unbolt and remove the current track
2.) Bend the new track to the curve of the existing ones and end up with the curve and the holes lining up or filling the current holes and drilling new ones.
3.) Install new ones so that they remain as water tight as the factory installed ones.

So I was wondering if anyone else has experience with such a project and/or any recommendations on how to get the job done or alternatives.

Thanks

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
You slide a hex head bolt into the underside of the track.
The bolt will not be able to rotate - just screw the nut onto the bolt :)

From the catalog (source: http://www.lewmar.com/downloadcatalogue.asp?lang=english&id=7598&lid=0)
Sliding bolt track have a smooth clean profile
with no visible fixings and can be retro-fitted
using original bolt holes - no need to worry
about old track pattern holes matching up
with a new track. The track is designed to
permit a washer to fit on each bolt between
the track and deck to ensure a secure seal.

#6 ·
No the project is still in the queue.

Currently rewiring the solar panels, installing a Blue Sky MPPT charger. Using Buccaneer Water Proof connectors (available at Downwind Marine and various electrical suppliers) to enable quick disconnects on the panels so they can be removed for periods when I will only be day sailing or other reasons.

The former Solar Panel charge controller had a built in display and was mounted behind the navigation station above the quarter berth. This was an area where PS installed a couple of chart tubes above a flat shelf for additional chart storage. This go converted to be the home for a dimmer switch, the charge controllers and the Kenwood Ham Radio. Tight run for all the wires and to and from the charge controller. The Blue Sky MPPT has provisions for a remote display so I was able to mount the controller at the aft end of the quarter berth closer to the panels which when mounted are located on the radar arch. At some point I will acquire the remote display and mount it somewhere around the nav station.

Regards

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37

#11 ·
By the way we were experiencing leaks in the area, even in rain. So we pulled the bolts and resealed them from the top with sikaflex.

The leaks are gone, which is a relief as we worried it was a hull and deck leak. A surprising amount of water can sneak down the bolts!

Cheers,
John and Alison
Sv Liberty
1981 PSC 37

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.