SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Mast Pulpit on a 34

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Hughmac12 
#1 · (Edited)
As part of our refit, we ordered a set of mast pulpits from PS. They are three legged, with a teak crossbar - massive, sturdy, and gorgeous, just one would expect. However...

The third leg on these is placed in such a way that would appear to interfere with the sheeting angle of the staysail sheets. In actuality, I'm reasonably confident it won't; the staysail is typically quite high cut and I'm fairly sure the sheeting angle is quite steep. The admiral is not so sure.

To add to this quandary, I have not been able to find one single photograph or video of a 34 out there with this three legged configuration, aside from one, and that 34 is at a dock. The vast majority of boats I've found with the pulpits have the inverted U shape, with the same teak crossbar, but with bracing legs coming off at each base to provide lateral support. See the photo below.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=3133&c=member&imageuser=2162

The third leg is placed in the middle of the top of the inverted U, and is bolted to the deck between the handrail and the dorade box. Anyone have the three legged variety on a 34 or 37?

P.S. Apologies if I put a forum member's boat pic up without permission - I found it on the Cruiser's Forum board. I'll remove the link if needed.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello Bill,

I have not posted before so I am not clear on the proper technique. I wanted to tell you that PSC mounted new mast pulpits on my 34 last winter. They are rugged and very we'll made and the do not obstruct the staysail sheets. I have a picture of the staysail up and under sail that shows the relationship. Unfortunately I have not been able to load the photo. Is emailing the photo directly to you an option?

Jim Converse
Scout 34 PSC 98

#5 ·
Hank -

Those are the pulpits we've seen on all the other 34's and 37's. The ones we have are built with a third post coming off the center of the top tube, which bolts between the dorade box and the handrail. Its this leg that's causing us concern.

Jim, PM sent with email info - thanks!

#6 ·
Here's a shot of the pulpits lying in the V-berth. It's that third leg - the one sticking up with the oblong mounting base - that has us concerned.

EDIT: Never mind - the pic was GINORMOUS!

If anyone wants to see it, let me know. I'll shoot some better pics today.

#7 ·
My Annie, a 37, got her three-legged mast pulpits a couple of years ago. Factory supplied; self installed. No conflict with stays'l sheets at all. I opted to do without the teak crossbar simply to keep things simple. Huge improvement in every respect. Even on a 37, the 4-legged version would have been just too big visually and no better functionally.

#8 ·
Thanks for the information.

No new pictures to share; the weather here went downhill again with the passing of yet another deep cold front. (THIS surely will be the last one for this winter!) Lots of wind and rain and temps into the low 30's. Still, I think we're good. Lots of questions asked and answered here, and much help by the good folks on the forum.

#10 · (Edited)
Al,

There are two primary reasons why we're putting them on Jo Beth:

1. Safety. They give us a strong point to lean against when working at the mast. Our control lines aren't led aft, so whenever we're raising/lowering the main or staysail, reefing, making outhaul adjustments, etc., one of us is at the mast. The pulpits will supplement clipping in.

2. We're short. Those who are not vertically challenged don't have to deal with this, but with both of us standing under 5'5", it's tough for us to scramble on and off the coachroof at times. The pulpits give us a solid handhold for stepping up onto and down off of the cabin top.

Another benefit is they give us a place to stow halyards and other lines and create alternative lashing points for...whatever may need a good lashing. ;)

They also serve as line guards to protect the dorade cowls from flailing sheets. We're adding dorade boxes and heavy cast bronze vents as part of the refit. More than once, we had to chase down the plastic Vetus cowls when flailing genoa or yankee sheets sent them into the air.

I'm sure others can add their own reasons for having them, but for us, that's the gist of it.

#11 ·
Sounds very reasonable. I have everything led aft for Singlehanding but I still have to go forward to address Murphy's law quite often, like reefing, and batten, lazy jack fun.I totally get the plastic dorade thing. Thanks for the insight. Al:)

#12 ·
Bill,
I fabricated a set this winter with the third leg and have no issues with staysail even reefed. The lines lay across the pulpits when fully furled but no issues. We love them for the reasons you listed. They are also great handholds when moving forward or back on the side decks. I have also been playing with laying the jacklines between the pulpit and the mast keeping them closer to the boats centerline instead of laying on the side decks.

You will like them a lot and won't be sorry.

I have more detailed pictures on our website at Mast Pulpits - Cruising Indigo

Attachments

#14 ·
Hush doesn't have the three legged crutches you speak of. I thought the sheeting for the staysail would create a problem but it doesn't you have to watch out how much stuff you tie off to the crutches though. They seem the perfect size to hold fenders, a stand up surfboard and a scuba tank...had to stop myself from storing everything lashed to the crutches. They are GREAT for moving around the deck in heavy seas and I would not have another boat without them (this is our first). Kept me from being flung into the lifelines already.

#15 ·
These will be the first set we've had on our own boat, but we've sailed on other boats fitted with them. The addition of the pulpits - or crutches or 'sissy-bars' - is something we've wanted to do for a long time.

#18 ·
Hi JoBeth

You may have already got your answer, and you will have seen these in person if not made a note of them, but in any case here are a couple of pics on my 1992 which I assume were standard at the time. The teak rails have been removed for refinishing.

Tried to send a photobucket link but no links allowed until you reach a 10-post limit (why on earth???) but I'll email them to you anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.