Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014

retomas is on a distinguished road
New 105% Sail...Three Sailmakers, one choice

I am planning to purchase a 105% roller furling headsail for my Crealock 34. I have gathered quotes form a number of lofts, but have narrowed the group down to Doyle Long Island, Ullman Latell, and Hood Rhode Island. All quotes are similar in sail detail and cost.

I have Doyle sails on the boat at this time. I do not have a headsail smaller than 135%, and after sailing this boat for three seasons, that sail can prove to have too much sail area in various wind conditions. I must have a smaller sail for certain times of the year and the new sail must be built to be aligned with the blue water capability of my boat.

I would appreciate "first-hand" comments regarding the various sailmakers I have mentioned, and would also appreciate first-hand comments regarding my choice of the size of the headsail I am planning on having made for my boat. I am going to request a higher clew on the 105.

I previously sailed a cutter rigged Robert Harris design (for 25 years) and the working sails were great to sail under in stronger winds where the gennys could be too much sail.

My boat is rigged as a cutter, and my staysail remains hanked on the deck. Each loft makes their sails at their location, and each loft has a good reputation. I am not predisposed to having to continue with supplementing my Doyle inventory with another Doyle, although my current sails are in excellent condition and originated from the fine Doyle loft in Marblehead, MA.
Attached Thumbnails
New 105% Sail...Three Sailmakers, one choice-anne-dock.jpg  
"The sea is dangerous and its storms terrible, but these obstacles have never been sufficient reason to remain ashore... unlike the mediocre, intrepid spirits seek victory over these things that seem impossible... it is with an iron will that they embark on the most daring of all endeavors... to meet the shadowy future without fear and conquer the unknown."

Ferdinand Magellan (c. 1520)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2014

Hush34 is on a distinguished road
Re: New 105% Sail...Three Sailmakers, one choice

During my search for sails I managed to speak with a very nice rep with Doyle. I purchased a main from Super Sails in Ft. Lauderdale. Apparently sails for the PSC are not so scientifically sophisticated to the point each loft has a "better" design. Lets face it we sail cruising boats. Anyway I saved nearly $500 by having he SuperSail logo on my main in lieu of having the Doyle name affixed in the same spot. The sail I have is outstanding and I would recommend SuperSail in Ft. Lauderdale to anyone. IMHO...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.