SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Dodger

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  steneck 
#1 ·
I am having a new dodger fabricated and was wondering if I could get some input about what does and does not work with a dodger on a PSC34. I understand the clutches and cabin top winches have to be considered but I was wondering if anyone else has ideas to make the dodger really functional. Things you would and would not do if given the opportunity. Pictures would be great!

#3 ·
Of course everyone has their "must haves" for dodgers. Personally, I really like sailing with the dodger down when conditions permit. You can't beat the view and it helps with main sheet fiddling. So my dodgers collapses to a low profile. I can send you photos (inserting photos here seems a hassle) showing it up and down. For the rope clutches, I have a stainless steel rod to keep the dodger from impeding their function. Hope this helps.

Bob Steneck
Alaria PSC 34
sailing in the Antilles: Antilles 2013 - 2014

#7 ·
Bob, I love your dodger. It is exactly what I want for Rain Dog. We want to weld the main part of the dodger to make a really strong frame. We also would like a hard(ish) windshield material. The canvas will be removable but frame will be welded and through bolted( except the folding part).
Cheers
Erika

#5 ·
We're also doing a new dodger on Jo Beth. Our biggest issue was/is visibility when standing. With our existing dodger, the back bow crosses right at our line of sight. The new one will be slightly higher, and have grab rails installed on the sides and in back.

Our control lines aren't run aft, so we don't have clutch issues, etc. The mainsheet and staysail sheet winches have never been in the way with ours. the traveler lines and mainsheet/staysail sheets all pass through cutouts in the front panels. it's pretty basic and functional. There are pics where the dodger is visible on the blog.

#6 ·
Our area in the Gulf of Mexico we noticed that it was stifling behind the dodger in the summer heat. I would recomend a smile opening in the window that lets air movement in times of fair weather. You can view picks on Yacht World where my 37 is listed. Doug Griffith PSC 37 #249 Kindred Spirit

#9 ·
We built a solid dodger a few years ago, best thing we ever did. It not only takes huge waves, it also houses the solar, also I can stand on it... the track is on the outside, clutches winches etc inside... not a problem with heat as we spend a lot of time in the tropics... also hove to, the corners break up waves... can send photos if you want..

#10 ·
Yes, all pics posted very much appreciated.

*bob, I see you have an instrument panel just forward of the companionway. Can you elaborate a bit on it. ( sorry for thread drift). Plus, your blog is crack for the underwater nerd :). Thanks.

**Also, has anyone incorporated a boom gallows into the dodger? I'd like one (Boom Gallow) aboard Rain Dog and thought to look into designs that simply used the Boom Gallow as part of the forward dodger structure.

#12 ·
Hi Ocean Girl,

Sorry for the delay. I just spent the last 13 days sailing from St. Croix to Norfolk Va. I arrived today.

I too have been thinking about my next iteration of my dodger. I really love collapsing the dodger for the panoram visibility it gives.

I like your idea of having hard plexiglass panels. I've been considering that too. I'll talk to my canvas guy when I get back from this 8 month odyssey in the Caribbean.

The other question related to the instruments I have mounted on a bar above my companionway. I have my seatalk depth, wind (direction and speed) and in water speed displayed there. This gives me a nice heads up as I'm creeping into shoal water so I can look around and watch my depth and wind etc.

Hope this helps.

Leave tomorrow for Maine so I'll be off line again for a week or so.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.