Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2006

Companero is on a distinguished road
Dana 24, Orion, Nor'sea

Hi,
We've been looking at used Danas, Orions, and Nor'sea 27s and hopefully plan to buy one this year. Any and all opinions are welcome, including of course any leads to boats. We'll be doing mostly 1 day trips out of Homer AK, but want a good sturdy traditional-styled boat that could take us on longer trips down the road.
Thanks,
Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2006

jknight611 is on a distinguished road
Dana, Orion and Norsea

I own a Orion, so you can tell my bias, the Dana is a little short on the water line, if you plan any extended crossings that may be a factor. Both the Orion and the Norsea are 27 feet, waterlines are close enough not to be a factor for this conversation, the Norsea sails fine, but is tight in the cabin. The Orion has better engine access, really nice chart table, good tankage, main salon is larger, also has circumnavigated, and I have a goose neck trailer for mine, so it is also trailerable but is a major project with the permits for a wide load. But the real test is which one "boils" your water. All 3 are very fine boats and a guy could be very proud to own any one of them!!
Dats it from the 3rd coast!
Jay
Old 04-21-2008

pelantz is on a distinguished road
Nor'Sea

It's been a long time, but my family lived aboard a Nor'Sea for six years Southern California. Apart from the headroom, always a compromise, it was more than adequate. Cruised to Acapulco in '85. One of the first hull, #007, which we finished from a hull, deck and engine. Used the old Lyle Hess rig with short mast and 5' bowsprit - cutter rig. Cruised for 6 months with two little kids, 7 and 3, with no problems at all - carried plenty of stores. Good times. If you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to reply. Overall, the Nor'Sea was an excellent boat, and we miss her (sold her for a house, old story, the kids are still mad...)

Good luck,
Phil and Gay

Would love any info about the boat: Nor'Sea #007, BEAR, originally dark green with red trim, distinctive built-up cockpit, wood stick and bowsprit, cutter rig. Sold in the Bay area in 1987 or so.
Old 04-22-2008

Alocus is on a distinguished road
Hi,
I bought an Orion just over a year ago. It is a 1979. It is very comfortable sailer. You might try to get the later version with smaller head (bigger V berth) more ports and maybe a few other enhancements. My scuppers are in the stern and let in water in a following sea. Beam is 9'3", I believe the Nor'Sea is only 8'. I am looking to replace the yanmar 2qm15 - with something larger. Right now I use a 15hp outboard. I would also like to install a heater. I have the A plan, and not sure where the best place to install. I am in BC, I am sure it is colder where you are. Anyway these are my concerns. Happy Hunting! ~Ross
Old 07-17-2008

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Orion 27 Owner

Hi:
I too am a little biased since I own a Orion 27, but when I was looking for my Pacific Seacraft sailboat I checked out used Flickas, Dana24s, and PS31s. I am a big guy and the Orion 27 fit the best. The Flicka lacked 6'+ headroom, and the Head in the Dana24 and PS31 was small, and the doorway narrow. The galley was small as well. The layout of the Orion 27 offered plenty of headroom, a Head I could manuvere in and a galley that is stretched out with plenty of room. I also liked the fact that the table could be dropped and a cushion added to make a nice double berth in addition to the v-berth. Can't do that on a Dana24 or PS31.
Old 05-28-2009
New Fast Passage 39 Owner

NorSea509 is on a distinguished road
Hi,
We have a 2000 model NorSea 27. The last two winters we have spent three months in the Florida Keys for a total of six months living aboard. We now have decided that we need more room if we are going to spend a lot of time on our boat. My wife is little but I am over 6'2" and 225 lbs and am finding the NorSea uncomfortable, 8' beam and inadequate headroom. The NorSea does not provide room for guests which is a bit of a problem for us. I first sailed a NorSea in 1980 and always felt they are great boats, still feel that way, they sail well and are very seaworthy but, I'm getting old and want more comfort. We trailer the boat from Iowa to the Keys which, requires a large pick-up (F350 diesel). If you are on the water the cost of tow vehicle and trailer are not an issue but should be considered if not.
The boat is currently on the market in Annapolis, MD and when/if it sells we will move up to a PS Crealock.