SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

oil and water gauges

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  wmjr 
#1 ·
I want to add oil pressure and water temperature gauges to my Yanmar 3gm30f.
The oil housing area has a spare port available. The water thermostat housing area does not. (Yanmar made a thermostat housing with a spare port but mine does not have a spare port).

I have read all the nps, bspt, and bspp thread adapter facts and fiction on the web.

Does anyone with experience with this type of project have suggestions for senders, gauges and project steps and gotchas? All the oil drains out right?

John
Watermark
PCS 31 #28

#3 ·
Dave,

Thanks, I have only vaguely thought about the gauge location problems. That will be tough since I am nowhere near Brian's class in wood, starboard etc construction ability.

He has put together a beautiful and useful system.

I am still plodding through the senders.

John

#4 ·
John,
I bought the temp sending unit from catalinadirect.com. The sending unit they sell has the proper thread configuration. The gauges are from Teleflex. I removed my water heater and used one of the ports for the sending unit. However, if you have a water heater and want to keep it, I would think that you could tee off of the hose where it leaves the engine, but you may have to search around to find the right thread thread for the tee. Also, the sending unit has to be grounded to the engine in order for it to work. So if you tee'd it from the hose and not directly out of the engine you may need to jumper a ground wire from the sender to the engine.

I found that auto parts stores can carry the right thread configurations as it is common on Japanese made auto engines. The pressure sending unit needs an adapter for the Japanese threads but it can be found at the auto parts store. It is a standard pressure unit, but you need to make sure the electrical output matches the gauge.

As for an engine panel, you wouldn't have to get fancy and could make a standard flat panel out of 1/4" Starboard or Seaboard. It cuts easily with simple woodworking tools. I recently saw an add for a Panel Visor from SeaworthyGoods.com that would make waterproofing the thing pretty easy. I might have gone that route had it been available a year ago. Although, I don't know how much they want for it.

Shoot me an e-mail if you have specific questions. I'll help if I can.

#5 ·
Brian,

Thanks for the temp and pressure information. Yes I do want to keep the water heater so I am struggling with figuring out a tee configuration.

When you suggest starboard for mounting the instruments are you thinking of a helm mount? My instrument panel is the old B type with no room for any more gauges. It is mounted starboard below my knees. Very difficult to see from the helm.

The oil pressure and water temp should be always visible but very seldom looked at. Tough mounting decision unless I get elaborate.

John

#6 ·
John,
I was talking about replacing the B type panel with a custom made one made out of starboard. I also had the B type panel and moved the key switch and the horn to the interior just inside the hatchway, to make room for the temp and pressure gauges. It's easy to reach in and start the engine from outside, and I think it better protects the ignition switch from salt water intrusion. Everything is a tradeoff, and I think this setup works well.

Brian

#7 ·
Brian,

Ahh the panel, yes. I don't think I am ready to replace the panel. It is o difficult to see down there at ankle level but I don't see enough benefit for me to go that way.

I did follow up on your starboard suggestion. I am looking at buying a small piece, about 16 inches by 4 inches, just to mount the oil and water temp gauges on the helm.

I still have to see what it takes to mount them in terms of depth, width, angle etc.

Thanks,

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.