Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: leak from rudder stock

Ask your surveyor if the packing material can be replaced while the boat is in the water. If it can, make friends with a small agile, mechanically adept person who wants to sail. (wouldn't that be nice?)
John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2014

jvlassak is on a distinguished road

I talked to Thumper at PSC a few days ago and he strongly recommended hauling the boat if I wanted to change the packing - that's what they do at PSC.

It turns out that the stuffing box is not the problem - water is leaking into the boat between the hull and the rudder bearing. I had the boat hauled out yesterday and the yard will drop the rudder to find out how to best fix the problem. I'll post an update for future reference once I know more. Raindog - if you get water coming in and it's not the packing gland - it may be the same issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft 34
Old 06-13-2014

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road

I had the same leaking on Kenalnu which is a 1985 PSC 37. Tightening the bolts on the stuffing box helped but they worked loose in a matter on months. Next time I did the job with a bucket of locktite (well not a bucket, but you get the idea) and they are still in place. AND I still have water coming in from back there which I finally traced to the holes in the Propane locker. All this is to say it can be just the rudder stuffing box, it can be the propane locker, or, because it is a boat, it might be both!

Of course nothing should be able to leak from the propane locker into the rest of the boat so the real "solution" is to seal that bulkhead more effectively.

Hope you figure yours out without too much contortion

Jay
SV Kenlanu, PSC 37 # 171
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdBrain333 For This Useful Post:
jvlassak (06-14-2014)
Old 06-13-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I would suggest having a child now. They will still be small enough to fit in there in about 5 years, and if well trained from birth they will be able to handle a wrench by then. So just make sure you have a good bilge pump for the next 5 years and you are golden. Big question is what to do with the child after that? You definitely don't want to keep them much longer than that, have you seen the price of college? My oldest son is starting and $64,000 a year. Heck that used to be a jackpot on a game show, now it is a year at college!
Old 06-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I would suggest having a child now. They will still be small enough to fit in there in about 5 years, and if well trained from birth they will be able to handle a wrench by then. So just make sure you have a good bilge pump for the next 5 years and you are golden. Big question is what to do with the child after that? You definitely don't want to keep them much longer than that, have you seen the price of college? My oldest son is starting and $64,000 a year. Heck that used to be a jackpot on a game show, now it is a year at college!
I had twins about twelve years ago, so the first thing I did was send one of them in there to take pictures of the rudder post - not something I'm willing to do with the engine running, though...

If sending one kid to college is bad, imagine sending two at the same time...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft 34
Old 06-18-2014

DaveMancini is on a distinguished road

You can change the packing in the rudder packing gland with the boat in the water because the gland is above the waterline, unless you have the boat so heavily loaded astern that the boat is severely below its lines there—not likely. If the leak does not occur except underway while the boat is squatting in its wake, that's your clue that you are good to change it in the slip. I have done this twice. Piece of cake.

I don't understand the issue with the water leaking into the boat between the hull and the rudder bearing. The lower bearing is not water tight anyway. The packing gland, hose and clamps are what prevent water ingress, not the bearing. So, some clarification there would be nice.

Dave Mancini
PSC 34 #305 "Swan"

Last edited by DaveMancini; 06-18-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: error
Old 06-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMancini View Post
I don't understand the issue with the water leaking into the boat between the hull and the rudder bearing. The lower bearing is not water tight anyway. The packing gland, hose and clamps are what prevent water ingress, not the bearing. So, some clarification there would be nice.
That's a good point - I was relying on the yard when I made that statement. The problem is that I'm just too big to get in there and find out for myself what is going on (not for lack of trying). Meanwhile, I am starting to think that the water is coming in through the gas locker and the bulkhead and that should be easy enough to check (and fix).

Pacific Seacraft 34
Old 06-24-2014
scuppersinspired

scuppersinspired is on a distinguished road

I just found this issue yesterday while out sailing. Mine is definately bubbling right up around the rudder stock. This looks nothing like the packing gland on the drive shaft. Anyone want to key me into what i'm going to find when I open this thing up. I used the goretex packing material when I redid the drive shaft and have been very happy. It is basically dripless. When I reach down there things are just damp not dripping and cool enough that I can wrap my hand right around it. (After engine has been turned off). Is it the same type of packing material for the rudder post?
Old 06-25-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlassak View Post
My surveyor told me it was one of the funniest things he'd ever seen.
Says more about the surveyor than the PO....
Your surveyor lacks imagination and knowledge.

Building dams like this is not a solution but it's an effective way to isolate the source of a leak.

If you empty the dam for water, pump you bilge dry and go for a short sail.
And find water in the dam without it overflowing and your bilge is dry.
What do you conclude from that?
Old 06-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
Says more about the surveyor than the PO....
Your surveyor lacks imagination and knowledge.

Building dams like this is not a solution but it's an effective way to isolate the source of a leak.

If you empty the dam for water, pump you bilge dry and go for a short sail.
And find water in the dam without it overflowing and your bilge is dry.
What do you conclude from that?
Actually, that was exactly the purpose of the dam - and we were both quite aware of this - it just looked really funny. The PO did a terrific job maintaining the boat and documenting everything he did. Except the paint on the mast, she's in great shape.

Pacific Seacraft 34