Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2014

jvlassak is on a distinguished road
Re: leak from rudder stock

It looks like the leak is coming from the gas locker after all. I'm having the bulkhead sealed and hopefully that will take care of it. I'll post another update once we've gone for a test run and we know for sure this fixed the problem. Thanks for all the suggestions!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft 34
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2014

Hush34 is on a distinguished road

Today, I noticed the same darn leak coming from somewhere around the rudder post. (Occurs when motor sailing) I had read with acute attention the posts prior to our sail today and immediately removed every thing from the propane locker. What I found was about 4 to 5 inches of water and what looked like tape from the PO that I guess was supposed to keep the water out...it didn't work. Anyway, I have some more investigating to see if the water is coming from the rudder post or the propane locker.

My question for now is...what is everyone else doing about the two stupid holes in the propane locker that convert the locker into an aquarium. Did they have to make the holes so close to the water...I know propane sinks but really????? I cannot surrender storage space on a boat so lacking in that department.

What to do about the holes??? Aside from converting to alcohol stoves is there another solution?
Old 08-15-2014

Sounds like the same issue - it happens when motor sailing. I had the yard seal off the bulkhead between the locker and the rest of the boat. Apparently they dumped a few buckets of water into the locker to find out where the leaks were. I haven't been able to inspect exactly what they did as I've been traveling most of the time since I first noticed the problem, but I'll get a chance when I take out the boat tomorrow.

It does make you wonder about the design, though. If water can leak into the bilge from the propane locker, so can propane...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft 34
The Following User Says Thank You to jvlassak For This Useful Post:
Hush34 (08-16-2014)
Old 08-17-2014

Hush34 is on a distinguished road

I went to Hush yesterday to investigate the possible rudder post leak. I put water with red food color in it into the propane locker to see if it was leaking onto the rudder post. As luck would have it, there was no red liquid to be found leaking into the boat from the locker. I inspected the locker really throughly and found the locker to be structurally bullet proof. If I wanted I could convert it into a water tank.

Now my problems. How do I get my 6 foot frame into the engine compartment? Can I repair the leak in my slip? What exactly is beneath the rubber hose held together by four hose clamps? How do I fix the problem?

David from Swan indicated he has done this twice and it wasn't hard. Any other bold boat mechanics with ideas. They would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2014

When I talked to PSC about the packing gland they recommended to haul the boat - I suppose they're playing it safe. On the other hand, David has done it twice with the boat in the water.

I've tried to access the aft part of the engine compartment, but I'm just not flexible enough. Some people have installed a hatch for easier access, maybe that's the way to go.

Pacific Seacraft 34