My wife and I spend around 150 nights a year on the boat, so the vee berth matters. [www.irish-eyes-to-the-bahamas.blogspot.com]
. When we bought Irish Eyes in 2004, the vee berth foam was shot, the covering fabric was worn, and it all stunk. It needed to be replaced.
Sea Ray had a plant near where we live, and we went to their upholstery supplier and bought new foam. I cut it to the size of the old foam and covered it myself. That was not hard to do with an electric knife and a home sewing machine. Sailrite has books with excellent instructions.
For the first year or so we messed with folding and tucking standard flat sheets and blankets to fit. That was just not satisfactory. They came loose, the bunk was hard to make up, and the excess was a pain.
I made my first attempt at fitted linens. I made two kinds of fitted lower sheets with pockets at all four corners. One kind of fitted lower sheet had elastic around its lower edge and the other kind had a drawstring around its lower edge. Both kinds caught all four corners of the mattress. I also made a spread, sheet, and blanket. These were a pentagon (nearly a triangle) with a pocket formed at the apex that fitted over the foot end of the vee berth cushions. I trimmed and hemmed a quilted cotton mattress pad to fit under the sheets and protect the new cushions. While all of this worked, we weren’t happy. There were problems. The fitted lower sheet tied all three cushions together. That made it difficult to raise the cushions individually. We needed to do that to look through the clear deck plates to judge the level in either the holding tank or the forward water tank, to get access to the covers over the two storage areas under the vee berth, to pump out the holding tank, or to remove the spacer in order to either access the drawers or gain a little more room in the boat. In addition, the edges of the fitted sheets under the mattress got wet in the almost unavoidable condensation that we have when we are on the boat in the winter. Lastly, we decided that the foam we had bought was too hard, and we wanted softer. We needed something different.
Here is what we did. We bought a foam mattress topper and were given a memory foam mattress topper. Both were simple foam sheets an inch or a bit or more thick and larger than the vee berth. I cut them to size, sprayed them with spray glue, and laminated them together. I made a cover for them. The cover has a muslin bottom, a polycotton quilted top, and a zipper around two of the five sides. The cover can be removed to be washed. Assembled, this all makes a tick to go on top of the three vee berth cushions. I have made two fitted bottom sheets to fit the tick. I just laid a king sheet on the floor, laid the tick on top, drew a chalk line around the tick a foot or so away from the tick, hemmed the edges, folded it neatly over the tick, then pinned and sewed the corner pockets. I have similarly made two top sheets that are tapered with a pocket to fit the tick at their foot. We also have a spread, blanket, and quilt all of which were made from standard linens from WalMart cut and hemmed all with a similar pocket to fit the tick at their foot.
After the bunk is made, the entire assembly of tick, sheets, and spread folds either left or right down its center to allow either the port or starboard cushion to be lifted or to lift both cushions to get to the water tank or center access cover. The front edge can be folded back to remove the spacer, and if we want to leave the spacer out, the bed can be remade with the head end of the tick left folded back.
We have lived with the solution for at least five years and are happy with it.
1988 PSC 34