Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2014
Mondofromredondo

mondofromredondo is on a distinguished road
Sheets for a PSC 34 V berth

Gonna break down and purchase a set. Short of having them custom made does anyone know of high quality 300 thread fitted lower with flat upper set out there for the V berth of a PSC 34 ? I know there are companies out there that make V berth sheets but would like to know if perhaps any of you have first hand knowledge of who makes a quality set that fits well. Also features to want and or not need.

I saw that one company attaches the upper to the lower which sounds like a very smart way to go as well.

Also a side note: Have any of you upgraded the V-birth cushions to a higher quality bedding type mattress? Pros / Cons and did you likes ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2014

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road
Re: Sheets for a PSC 34 V berth

My wife and I spend around 150 nights a year on the boat, so the vee berth matters. [www.irish-eyes-to-the-bahamas.blogspot.com]. When we bought Irish Eyes in 2004, the vee berth foam was shot, the covering fabric was worn, and it all stunk. It needed to be replaced.

Sea Ray had a plant near where we live, and we went to their upholstery supplier and bought new foam. I cut it to the size of the old foam and covered it myself. That was not hard to do with an electric knife and a home sewing machine. Sailrite has books with excellent instructions.

For the first year or so we messed with folding and tucking standard flat sheets and blankets to fit. That was just not satisfactory. They came loose, the bunk was hard to make up, and the excess was a pain.

I made my first attempt at fitted linens. I made two kinds of fitted lower sheets with pockets at all four corners. One kind of fitted lower sheet had elastic around its lower edge and the other kind had a drawstring around its lower edge. Both kinds caught all four corners of the mattress. I also made a spread, sheet, and blanket. These were a pentagon (nearly a triangle) with a pocket formed at the apex that fitted over the foot end of the vee berth cushions. I trimmed and hemmed a quilted cotton mattress pad to fit under the sheets and protect the new cushions. While all of this worked, we weren’t happy. There were problems. The fitted lower sheet tied all three cushions together. That made it difficult to raise the cushions individually. We needed to do that to look through the clear deck plates to judge the level in either the holding tank or the forward water tank, to get access to the covers over the two storage areas under the vee berth, to pump out the holding tank, or to remove the spacer in order to either access the drawers or gain a little more room in the boat. In addition, the edges of the fitted sheets under the mattress got wet in the almost unavoidable condensation that we have when we are on the boat in the winter. Lastly, we decided that the foam we had bought was too hard, and we wanted softer. We needed something different.

Here is what we did. We bought a foam mattress topper and were given a memory foam mattress topper. Both were simple foam sheets an inch or a bit or more thick and larger than the vee berth. I cut them to size, sprayed them with spray glue, and laminated them together. I made a cover for them. The cover has a muslin bottom, a polycotton quilted top, and a zipper around two of the five sides. The cover can be removed to be washed. Assembled, this all makes a tick to go on top of the three vee berth cushions. I have made two fitted bottom sheets to fit the tick. I just laid a king sheet on the floor, laid the tick on top, drew a chalk line around the tick a foot or so away from the tick, hemmed the edges, folded it neatly over the tick, then pinned and sewed the corner pockets. I have similarly made two top sheets that are tapered with a pocket to fit the tick at their foot. We also have a spread, blanket, and quilt all of which were made from standard linens from WalMart cut and hemmed all with a similar pocket to fit the tick at their foot.

After the bunk is made, the entire assembly of tick, sheets, and spread folds either left or right down its center to allow either the port or starboard cushion to be lifted or to lift both cushions to get to the water tank or center access cover. The front edge can be folded back to remove the spacer, and if we want to leave the spacer out, the bed can be remade with the head end of the tick left folded back.

We have lived with the solution for at least five years and are happy with it.

Bill Murdoch
Irish Eyes
1988 PSC 34
The Following User Says Thank You to wsmurdoch For This Useful Post:
Hush34 (06-03-2014)
Old 05-31-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

We just use regular king fitted sheets and tuck the extra under. Works great for us. It only rarely needs to be re-tucked between washings.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-03-2014

cheoah is on a distinguished road

Bill that's cool. Sounds comfortable. I'm ready for a nap after hearing all of the work you put into it though! That's a big project. My cushions have a couple of years left in them and all is fresh, so I can put that one off... I've noticed the vinyl bottom of the cushion has helped to seal in a little bit of holding tank odor coming through the wood. I need to replace that with another kind of material sooner than later.

We also just use sheets and tuck them in, and they seem to work fine. my wife handles the bedding in there most times and when singlehanding I use the other double with flat or fitted.
Old 06-03-2014
Mondofromredondo

mondofromredondo is on a distinguished road

Bill, thanks so much for that explanation. I can tell you put alot of thought and effort into your sheet solution. I'm afraid I'm not quite that industrious and may go the route of King sized sheets for a starter and sew them together at the foot. But the idea of a topper makes great sense and I may very well look into one as I think the cushions could be improved upon.
Old 06-03-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

here's how to make custom fitted sheets:

Sleeping preference?
Old 06-04-2014

Hush34 is on a distinguished road

I am in the process of replacing that cover now. Using 1/2 inch ply with a formica bottom covering. Much better than the sprayed gel coat they used originally. Cannot use starboard because the silicon will not stick to it for the tank seal.
Old 06-05-2014

MarcHall is on a distinguished road

The original mattress on Crazy Fish was replaced a number of years ago by one made by Handcraft Mattress Company (Custom Made Yacht & Boat Mattresses, Sheets & Bedding 800-241-7751).

Very well made and very comfortable. A split in the mattress running the length of the mattress allows the mattress to be folded back on itself for access to the locker underneath (Crazy Fish is a 37).

HMC also made the first couple sets of custom fitted sheets from queen sized supplied to them. Subsequent sets of sheets have been made using these as a pattern, but at times we have just used standard sheets and tucked in the excess.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37
Old 06-08-2014

Mythago is on a distinguished road

Multihull girl,

I just finished making fitted sheets and mattress covers as you described. Lots of straight edge sewing but easy because the manufacturer has done the attachment of the elastic to the material for you. In the past, my cheap and super easy solution to keeping all the excess material when using purchased queen sized sheets under the mattress on our 37 was a pair of fabric clips with a piece of appropriately sized 1/2inch elastic in between. Both these items are available at fabric stores. Attach one clip to a "bunch" of fabric under one side of the narrow end of the mattress, run the elastic under the mattress and attach the clip to another "bunch" of excess fabric on the other side. A second set of clips positioned in the middle of the mattress helped keep the fitted sheet in place.
S/V Mythago 1995 PS37 #301 ON831667
Old 06-22-2014

svjobeth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush34 View Post
I am in the process of replacing that cover now. Using 1/2 inch ply with a formica bottom covering. Much better than the sprayed gel coat they used originally. Cannot use starboard because the silicon will not stick to it for the tank seal.
We replaced ours with a FRP one straight from PS. The old wooden one was shot.
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain