Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2014

MarcHall is on a distinguished road
Re: Calling all crapper experts

On Crazy Fish I have replaced the head 3 times and replaced the sanitation hoses a few times.

The biggest issue with the hoses is the time it takes for the hoses to break down and the sewage smell to begin to penetrate them.
Other issues are the time it takes for the hoses to clog (my always smelled first) and the difficulty of installing them.

Trident 101 have a 5 year warranty, I believe some sanitation hoses I looked at had a 2 year warranty.

Shields Marine Poly X Sanitation Hose has a lifetime warranty, is not cheap and was not available locally, but I would rather not do this job again in the foreseeable future. Amazing how much of this hose is in the boat.

The current head is also an electrical one with an electrical pump to pump the seawater into the head and a macerator adjacent to bowl to chop everything up and pump it overboard or to the holding tank. No more flapper valves, no more pistons etc. I do need to carry a spare pump and a spare macerator but they seem to be easier to replace then tearing down the manual head - although I have yet to have to do it. There is an increased electrical consumption but I figure the replacement of the anchor light with an LED (1 Amp to 0.1 Amp) probably covers the added consumption of the head use. With the electrical pumps its probably easier to fill the holder tank but it also easier to make sure the lines get flush with water and raw sewage does not sit in the hoses.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to MarcHall For This Useful Post:
Hush34 (06-07-2014)
Old 06-06-2014
Mondofromredondo

mondofromredondo is on a distinguished road

Side note to the Hose issue. I sent my Groko back to the Manufacturer in Maine (I think it was). Sent to have it rebuilt. Got it back about 3 weeks ago. Wound up using the old hoses as they were fine even though they were 25 years old.

Long story short. Cost me $300 to be rebuilt by the same guy that built it back in 1988.
The unit flushes beautifully both #1 and #2. Anyways he said a new lower unit would be about $600 new. or of course $300 rebuilt. If your cylinder is too badly scored u have to go with new. Not bad either way cuz these toilets are like industrial quality. And for the darned thing to work for 25 years says something for Groko quality
svjobeth likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to mondofromredondo For This Useful Post:
Hush34 (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014

Hush34 is on a distinguished road

I just finished doing the rebuild on the Groco Head. I was a bit intimidated at the start but simply followed the instructions and finished it would a minimum of complications. Fortunately, the cylinder and piston were not scored and the new rings did the trick as far as the seal. I would do this again (hopefully not for a while) and am glad that I did it. I now understand completely how the head works and will be able to diagnose problems in the future. Thanks everyone for you input. All I have to now is wait for my hose and finish up. Me and my heat gun have a date next week.