SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Calling all crapper experts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/144346-calling-all-crapper-experts.html)

Hush34 06-03-2014 07:56 PM

Calling all crapper experts

Today we went to Hush to start what I would classify a very unpleasant job. REBUILD THE GROCO HEAD! Wound up disassembling the entire unit and taking off the boat. Seems easier to do at my shop. Anyway, while working I noticed that the hoses were shot. I spent nearly 4 hours pulling all but the macerator hoses from the boat. What a job!

Here's my questions. Am I doomed to try and replace the old hoses with the same hose used by the factory? It would be nice if the rubber hose actually bend into place.

The macerator installed is the whale manual one. Anyone replace with an electric version? If so, how did you mount?
Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Multihullgirl 06-03-2014 08:13 PM

Re: Calling all crapper experts

You don't have to replace with the exact factory hoses, but you would be well advised to use hoses designed for head-to-holding tanks, as they are resistant to smell permeation

pdqaltair 06-03-2014 09:09 PM

Trident 101 is considered the best value in a durable hose, but if you want something that will bend, you can't beat Raritan Saniflex (bend radius about 7"). It is also MUCH easier on and off the fittings, but will not leak. The permeation resistance is quite good, better than the white hose.

That said, any hose will kink if you force it. If it looks like it is starting to pin, insert a PVC fitting.

johnharch 06-03-2014 10:31 PM

I used Trident 101 when I did mine. What a pleasant surprise. I found it very easy to use and to fit to the fittings. It easily made all the turns on my 34. The last time I had done a head, I used that white crap they sell at West and it was an absolute nightmare.

The Groco head was a different story. Turns out the cylinder was so deeply grooved I had to buy a new head.

sailak 06-04-2014 01:18 AM

I haven't worked with the Trident hose but have used the Saniflex in two boats…very easy to work with, slides right on the fittings, bends easily.

The Groco I replaced in Elnora was badly scored -- like they had been crushing rock with it. :) It was recirculating bowl contents back into the bowl from the rim….not at all pleasant.

SVAuspicious 06-04-2014 07:14 AM

Use a heat gun to warm up the hose where you have to bend it or get it over a fitting.

CLucas 06-04-2014 09:44 AM

I re-plumbed the head on Grey Goose in 2013 using Sealand Odorsafe hose with some hard PVC in places. Very happy. The hose is not cheap. Getting it on fittings was a LOT easier with heat and a finger-smear of dish soap. If you use PVC, be sure to use primer and cement to get a good seal.

Best thing I did for my head setup was to plumb the head sink drain to allow the head to be flushed with fresh water from the head sink. Decaying sea critters really smell. A small ball valve gives me the option of flushing with raw water if I choose.

RainDog 06-04-2014 01:37 PM

For sure heat up the hose before fitting. It is a nightmare otherwise. Either the heat gun, or dip in boiling water. I have replaced all my hoses 3 times. It is always a nightmare, but once I learned the heat trick it went from a 5 hour job to a 3 hour job.

sailak 06-04-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainDog (Post 1899698)
or dip in boiling water.

This works better than the heat gun…..right up until you pour it on your foot. The blisters have mostly healed now.

RainDog 06-04-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailak (Post 1899930)
This works better than the heat gun…..right up until you pour it on your foot. The blisters have mostly healed now.

In addition to the burns, you also are assured of deep puncture wounds from the wire reinforced hoses. I am usually a bloody mess by the time I finish. At least you have the comfort of knowing the wire that gave you the puncture wound is coated in sewage.

Make sure you tetanus shot is up to date.