Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Water/Holding Tank Lids

I replaced all of mine with the PVC lids that seemed to be what the factory used until recently. I had to buy a whole sheet, but only used half. If anyone wants the other half it is yours for the taking. Must pick up in Huston or Austin. I could also most likely have it delivered to Oriental NC for free.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2014

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road
Re: Water/Holding Tank Lids

My water tank lids were PVC, but the holding tank lid was plywood with fiberglass on the inside surface. I replaced the holding tank lid with 1/2" gray PVC from McMaster Carr. I then used the PVC scraps to make replacement cover plates for the battery box in the port locker. The PVC was easy to work with wood working tools. I just cut out the new parts slightly oversized, clamped the old part to the new, ran a router with a copying bit around the edges, drilled the new holes through the old, unclamped the new part, and rounded off the edges with the router. Perfect copies.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Old 06-23-2014

Hush34 is on a distinguished road

I made mine from 3/8 inch plywood and laminated the underside with formica... Seem to be working fine. Not a hard job just a pain when dealing with the poopy tank
Old 06-26-2014

MarcHall is on a distinguished road

So how did you seal the PVC to the fiberglass ?

CrazyFish was one of the first boats to PVC lids rather then the plywood lids but the seal between the fiberglass the PVC has been less then satisfactory. Have the the handwritten instructions on how to seal then and did this twice on both water tanks quite awhile ago, but they still leak a bit. Have to be very careful that I don't overfill the tanks.

For some reason the holding tank has been solid and the lid has never been off.

Also get leakage around the inspection port.

PSC is selling fiberglass lids for the tanks but the cost is what you would expect for a $300,000+ boat.

Have been thinking of building my own fiberglass lids or just replace with a marine plywood+glass+resin lid.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37
Old 06-26-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

When I got the boat they leaked. Resealed following the factory instructions and they still leaked. Had new ones built from pvc and they still leaked. Had a pro redo them following the factory instructions and they still leak.

I have given up. Going to leave them as is until we get the boat to the factory, then will have them fix them, or try at least.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-26-2014

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road

My two water tanks with PVC lids have not leaked during my ten year ownership of Irish Eyes. I routinely fill them until water stands in the fill pipes and on occasion loosen the inspection ports to let out some of the air in the tops of the tanks to get couple more gallons of water into them. I have no idea what they are sealed with. It is white.

The holding tank lid that I made does not leak either. It was installed following the handwritten factory instructions except that I used "GE 100% Silicone Sealant for Plastic Sheets and other Plastic" in a red and white tube. It was what they had at Lowes with the pexiglass on the day that I needed it.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.