Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2014

muttskie is on a distinguished road
PS 37 boarding ladder size

Ahoy all,
I am considering mounting a Mystic Marine Foldaway ladder adjacent to a boarding gate on my, new to me, 1990 PS 37. I'm planning on using the track mount configuration, as there appears to be enough track forward of the gate to allow for a proper fit.
My question is about the correct length of the ladder. I understand that two steps should be in the water, when deployed, to allow for comfortable egress. The boat is not near me right now, so I am unable to measure the freeboard. Would anyone know the approximate distance from the caprail to the waterline in the area of a boarding gate? I'd like to know if a 48" ladder is long enough, or will I need to go up to the next size, which is 70".
Thanks,
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2014
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: PS 37 boarding ladder size

30 inches on my Crealock 37.
The Following User Says Thank You to brokesailor For This Useful Post:
muttskie (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
30 inches on my Crealock 37.
Thank you, brokesailor! I imagine the 48" version will suffice, then.
brokesailor likes this.
Old 07-06-2014
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road

I have a folding ladder that hangs from the track at the gate on my 37, I don't know for sure how long it is but I'm sure it isn't 70 inches long and it does have two steps in the water....48 inches sounds about right. Folded it is shorter than the mast pulpit.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-2014

arisatx is on a distinguished road

Bill:

When we had ours built for our former C37 by TIQ in Michigan, here are the specs we sent them.

V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 07-06-2014

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road

We also have a Tops in Quality boarding ladder. I just went looking for their web site

White Water Marine

but it now brings me to White Water Marine. There I can find the measuring guide for a midships ladder.

http://www.whitewatermarineinc.com/d...dder-guide.pdf

I got the three section one with teak treads ten years ago and have been happy with it. Having three sections put enough of the ladder in the water to make it easy to climb although the joint at the top of the third (lowest) section can be a pinch point when climbing the ladder. The teak treads are much more comfortable than the round ss tubing. I sized it so the standoff feet rest on the teak rub rail rather than on the painted hull. I also made a telescoping assembly of 1" and 7/8" ss tubing with a ss spring inside and pins sticking out at each end that fit in the holes half way down in the forward and aft sides of the gate. When in place it makes a better thing to tie the folded ladder to when underway than the top lifeline. We also bought two sets of the mounts that go on the sail track and keep one on each side of the boat so we can easily move the ladder from one side to the other.

The ladder does not usually bother the lead block for the genoa which is normally aft of the gate. But, sailing downwind with the whisker pole out on the ladder side, it would be nice to be able to move the lead block forward of the ladder to keep the genoa sheet pulled in and the genoa clew against the whisker pole end.

We have had some corrosion of the submerged welds, but aside from the pinch point mentioned above, no other problems.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Old 07-07-2014
Mondofromredondo

mondofromredondo is on a distinguished road

I just recently purchased the Mystic stainless boarding ladder for my PSC 34.

I ordered their longest length which I believe was 72".
I'm so glad I did because it makes getting upright on the ladder from the water so much easier. Imagine the first rung of your ladder sits 15 -20" below waterline. when your in the water your feet are a good 35-45" under the waterline. The 48" would make it hard to simply go from floating position to standing position. Take my word for it. The 72" is the way to go. Pay now or pay later. You won't regret getting the 72"
Plus the older and fatter you are the more you'll appreciate the 72" because you become less flexible, less strength in those legs at the extreme angle of trying to lift you foot up to your waist and stand from that position. Plus your going to be wet and tired from swimming.
Old 07-07-2014

Thank you all for the great information. I appreciate it very much.
I think the 70" length will be right for me.
I'm 60 years old and though I'm in pretty good shape, I like the idea of the added length below the water.
I think Bill's comment about having mounts on both sides is particularly helpful as I would like the flexibility of easily moving a ladder to either side of the boat.
I had thought about the genoa sheet block issue and would consider mounting additional blocks/cars forward of the ladder mounts for the times I would need more forward sheeting. Easy enough to re-lead the sheets, then.
Thanks again,
Bill
Old 07-07-2014
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road

When underway I lash the ladder to the mast pulpit which allows me to slide the mounts all the way forward on the track…only lose about 6-8 inches of track.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2014

MarcHall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttskie View Post
Thank you all for the great information. I appreciate it very much.

I think the 70" length will be right for me.

I'm 60 years old and though I'm in pretty good shape, I like the idea of the added length below the water.

I think Bill's comment about having mounts on both sides is particularly helpful as I would like the flexibility of easily moving a ladder to either side of the boat.

I had thought about the genoa sheet block issue and would consider mounting additional blocks/cars forward of the ladder mounts for the times I would need more forward sheeting. Easy enough to re-lead the sheets, then.

Thanks again,

Bill

I found when I mounted my similar ladder at the gate that the genoa sheet would frequently hang on it.
The ladder's home while underway is on the mast side of the port mast pulpit.
I also added a couple of feet of track at the forward end of the track to position the ladder a bit further forward then otherwise possible. The ladder tack cars reside there when not being used.

Mar Hall
www.svcrazyfish.com

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.