34 vs 37 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 12-11-2014 Thread Starter

34 vs 37

I'm looking to start a friendly 34 vs 37 discussion. I'm trying to decide between the two and here's what I've considered the positives for each. My use would be 50% coastal and 50% offshore.

PSC 34
Easier to singlehand, both cruising and docking.
Lower moorage costs
Lower maintainance costs
Less expensive to purchase or newer boat for same price

PSC 37
Larger cabin (occasionally there will be 4 adults on board for overnight cruises)
Larger cockpit (nice when those 4 adults want to sit outside)
More storage for longer cruises

Too be honest it may come down to the best deal available when it comes time to purchase. However I'd like some more input that may steer me in one direction or another.

Thanks
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 12-11-2014
4ksb expert.

Re: 34 vs 37

Do the 37, the 3 foot itis will bite you soon after you buy the 34, might as well start bigger, it'll certainly not get you again, if you do it right away...

This is my logic with the wife... so far she's not buying it.

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
post #3 of 40 Old 12-11-2014

Tin,
I dont necessarily agree with your decision points:
Maintenance costs are the same for either boat and either boat is easily singlehanded.Moorage costs could be less if costs are per foot but a mooring would be the same for either.Purchase prices are very similar and more dependent on age and condition.
Both boats are very similar in sailing charectaristics and only slightly different in size.The largest differences that I know of are the interior arrangement of the head,galley and chart table.As you noted the cockpit is smaller on the 34 and the propane locker on the 37 is very different on the 34.I own a 37 and have sailed quite a bit on a 34 and in my opinion either boat is a great voyaging boat with the 37 having a bit more room in every dimension.
Hope this helps,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
post #4 of 40 Old 12-11-2014

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

The side decks of the 34 are wider than those of the 37. For you all who varnish, you can sit on the 34 decks while you work. For those who carry jugs on deck, you can walk by the jugs on a 34.

I am a small and older person and the smaller sails of the 34 are easier to handle in a thunderstorm.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
post #5 of 40 Old 12-11-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
Do the 37, the 3 foot itis will bite you soon after you buy the 34, might as well start bigger, it'll certainly not get you again, if you do it right away...

This is my logic with the wife... so far she's not buying it.
I was going to point out the 40 is 3 feet bigger than the 37 but they start at 250k which is a quick cure for 3 footitis.
post #6 of 40 Old 12-11-2014 Thread Starter

Niftynickers, excellent points and exactly the input I'm looking for.
wsmurdoch, I'm going to have to look closer at the side deck room on both. I just turned 50 and plan on my next boat being my last so things like sail handling are valid concerns.
post #7 of 40 Old 12-12-2014
Not Finished Yet

I agree they are close enough in cost of ownership that cost of purchase and layout should drive your choice. I like the layout of the 34 (forecabin and salon) much better for a couple, but for sure the galley is a bit more roomy on the 37. Cockpit on the 34 is plenty big IMHO.

Nifty - what is the propane tank like on the 37? It for sure is a terrible design on the 34.

Pacific Seacraft 34 #142

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 40 Old 12-12-2014

The 37 was the first design, and the 34 came later. I have heard that Crealock said that he made some minor changes to the 34 design based on the 37 experience. If you look at overall length and the waterline length dimensions it appears that Crealock shortened slightly the overhangs.

Both the 37 and the 34 are very similar, excellent designs that we love. It does make sense though that an excellent designer like Crealock would have tried to apply what he learned from the first design experience (PS37) when he made the second design (PS34).

Brian Stipak
PS34 #67, 1987
S/V Ubiquity, Pacific Seacraft 34 Sailboat
post #9 of 40 Old 12-13-2014

Raindog,

The propane locker on the 37 is under the poop-deck lid.We have a lazarette behind the cockpit coaming that is where the locker is located large enough for 2 - 10# bottles.
I never noticed that the side decks are wider on the 34 does that mean that the interior headroom is less?Interesting.

Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
post #10 of 40 Old 12-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by stipakb View Post
The 37 was the first design, and the 34 came later. I have heard that Crealock said that he made some minor changes to the 34 design based on the 37 experience. If you look at overall length and the waterline length dimensions it appears that Crealock shortened slightly the overhangs.

Both the 37 and the 34 are very similar, excellent designs that we love. It does make sense though that an excellent designer like Crealock would have tried to apply what he learned from the first design experience (PS37) when he made the second design (PS34).

Brian Stipak
PS34 #67, 1987
S/V Ubiquity, Pacific Seacraft 34 Sailboat
Using the same logic the 31 was third design and the canoe stern was gotten rid of.
Just saying...

My understanding is that Crealock designed the 37 without pressure from a builder, it was the design he would go sailing in. Cruising Consultants picked it up and had the molds built, built a few boats and when they went under Pacific Seacraft picked up the molds. The 34 and 31 were done at Pacific Seacraft's request and their input. The Cabo Ricos were done with Cabo Ricos input and requirements. His biggest regret on the 37 seemed to be that he had not patented an idea that he had come up with a few years earlier that was very similiar to the Scheel keel.

When the 44 was introduced I never got the feeling Crealock was all that happy with the design. Too many comprimises to stretch the 37 to 44 and he actually expressed that at the Pacific Seacraft (Fullerton) introduction of the boat.

The 44 mold development and the move to Fullerton (satisfying the Air Quatlity Management District requirements) put the company into financial stress and they sold out to the Singapore based corporation. A few years later the founders left and founded Cabo Sportfishers and began production in the first town east of the Air Quality Management District.

The 40 had the benefit of everything that came before it, but it is a significantly larger (and more costly) boat then the 37 or 34.

Between the 37 and 34, I believe the biggest issue is the difference in storage on the boats and the propane locker. The aft propane locker on the 37 is large enough to store 2 10 lb tanks as well as a 5 gallon gasoline tank, diesel engine oil, hydraulic fluid(autopilot), 2 stroke oil and any acetone, etc fluid you may want to store on a longer range trip/cruise although for insurance purposes I only store propane in the propane locker.

I do like the shallow cockpit locker on starboard side of the Crealock 34 above the quarter berth. If I had the same on Crazy Fish I would modify it to make it a bit deeper to store a liferaft in a valise. Currently have a Switlick canister mounted just forward of where the dodger used to be and it just destroys visibility forward when seated in the cockpit.

Being used to the 37 the 34 down below just feels a bit pinched to me.

Having converted Crazy Fish from a wheel to tiller, in either the 34 or the 37 I would seek out a tiller boat. The wheel pedestal breaks up the cockpit and with the tiller you get to sit up forward in the cockpit rather then behind the wheel when driving the boat, there is a lot more feel with the tiller and at anchor the cockpit has a lot more space. Going to work on a solution where with the Monitor windvane or the below decks autopilot (WH) is engaged the tiller does not sweep the cockpit.

So I recommend going with the 37 but if you would be interested in a well-found 34 for under $100,000 there is one sitting across me. Boat was recently sailed down from the Pacific Northwest to San Diego and the owner was making final preparations to head south when family health issues caused him to alter his plans. Boat is ready to go.

Regards

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37 | SV Crazy Fish
brokesailor and 34crealock like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.