LPG solenoid switch by Newmar - replacement? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-07-2016 Thread Starter
Banned

LPG solenoid switch by Newmar - replacement?

My Pacific Seacraft 37 has a fused LPG solenoid switch that I'd like to replace. It works most of the time, but the fuse holder has a tiny piece that's broken so the fuse won't stay put. Alas, the maker of this panel (Newmar) doesn't make it anymore, and a company that did make a replacement (Seaward) apparently went out of business. There are some similar switches out there, but I cannot find one that's close to the same size (mine is 3 1/4" x 4 1/2").

Has anyone with a Pacific Seacraft (or anyone else reading this) replaced this unit or found an alternative approach? In my ideal world, I could replace just the fuse holder, but I'd be happy if I could find a whole new panel of similar size.

Now for a bit of ranting: I won't go into detail about the trials and tribulations of LPG cooking, but a warning to folks sailing to far corners of the planet: some governments don't allow you to refill your boat's LPG bottles, and some of the same places don't allow use of alternative bottles that will fit into a PS37 gas locker (and good luck finding gas fittings to hook up the fat alternatives). Have a backup plan, or steel yourself to eat cold food straight from a can (which is probably fine, but I'm old enough to remember the days when that was considered extremely risky to one's life).
Attached Thumbnails
LPG switch fuse holder.jpg  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-08-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Re: LPG solenoid switch by Newmar - replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantau View Post
In my ideal world, I could replace just the fuse holder...
Try Googling "panel mount fuse holder" or "panel mount square head fuse holder" and look at the images. If you can't find the square holder locally, it looks like it fits in a 1/2" diameter round hole, and any common fuse holder for glass fuses would fit in the hole.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-08-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Try Googling "panel mount fuse holder" or "panel mount square head fuse holder" and look at the images. If you can't find the square holder locally, it looks like it fits in a 1/2" diameter round hole, and any common fuse holder for glass fuses would fit in the hole.
http://www.amazon.com/Seachoice-Squa...re+fuse+holder

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!

post #4 of 15 Old 01-08-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantau View Post
Now for a bit of ranting: I won't go into detail about the trials and tribulations of LPG cooking, but a warning to folks sailing to far corners of the planet: some governments don't allow you to refill your boat's LPG bottles, and some of the same places don't allow use of alternative bottles that will fit into a PS37 gas locker (and good luck finding gas fittings to hook up the fat alternatives). Have a backup plan, or steel yourself to eat cold food straight from a can (which is probably fine, but I'm old enough to remember the days when that was considered extremely risky to one's life).
Take a look at posts 83 and following of this thread. Propane Solenoid experiences , good/bad/best - Page 6 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums I've had trouble filling tanks even here in the US. Having the ability to decant one tank into another is a handy skill.

Last edited by wsmurdoch; 01-08-2016 at 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 15 Old 01-08-2016

I know of this switch panel with a circuit breaker, there may be other sources.
005-805 Propane (LPG) Solenoid Control Switch

"Just call me TB"
post #6 of 15 Old 01-09-2016 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions to find a replacement fuse holder. Alas, I haven't found one that looks like it'll fit. The holder on the Newmar panel has a little plastic nib (or had it; it broke off) that secures the holder inside the switch box. The switch works fine if the fuse holder his held in place. (If I can find a three-handed cook, he/she could to hold it in place and use the stove at the same time.)

In one of the threads that was recommended in another reply, someone does mention the problem with this switch: Whale bought out Seaward (who started making it after Newmar stopped doing so, for lack of parts) and then discontinued the product. Such is the world today.

Alas, the new panel that I'll probably have to go with (pointed out in another reply) is much smaller than the Newmar panel. It'll work fine, but I'll have to fabricate something to cover the hole in the boat's woodwork. This is going to be one of those super simple jobs that takes at least a whole day, but only after I gather up all the parts and materials (that is, weeks/months away). As I often remind myself, it's a boat!

Last edited by Lantau; 01-09-2016 at 06:20 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-09-2016

Hi
Are you a little bit of a handyman ?
take that panel off , and look at what is behind , where that fuse is , can you replace that set -up with a new fuse holder or an in line fuse ?
that would be the easiest , and cheapest for you , and very safe as well
good wind
post #8 of 15 Old 01-09-2016 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioux.lm@bell.net View Post
Hi
Are you a little bit of a handyman ?
take that panel off , and look at what is behind , where that fuse is , can you replace that set -up with a new fuse holder or an in line fuse ?
that would be the easiest , and cheapest for you , and very safe as well
good wind
Good idea; you were reading my mind! If the internal wiring allows for this, I can simply glue the (empty) fuse holder back in place for aesthetics. I tried once already to get the panel off, but it didn't come out easily. It may be glued in as well as screwed. I will make another try but must be prepared for something to get damaged in the process. My first choice was to replace the fuse holder, thus avoiding all of this.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-10-2016
s/v Pelagic

Sure Marine in Seattle makes their own small, fused switch panel for LPG solenoids as well as selling Seward and Trident panels. Since they make their own they may have some parts you could use to repair yours. Sure Marine Service, Inc. * Since 1972 * Webasto Marine Heating, Air Conditioning, and Galley Equipment

John
s/v Pelagic
1980 C37 Yawl
post #10 of 15 Old 01-10-2016 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewcomer View Post
Sure Marine in Seattle makes their own small, fused switch panel for LPG solenoids as well as selling Seward and Trident panels. Since they make their own they may have some parts you could use to repair yours. Sure Marine Service, Inc. * Since 1972 * Webasto Marine Heating, Air Conditioning, and Galley Equipment

John
s/v Pelagic
1980 C37 Yawl
Many thanks John. Alas, I tried Sure Marine previously. They had the Seaward panel I want on their website, but when I tried to order it they came back with apologies that it's no longer produced. As you say, they do make the smaller panel.

I haven't used Sure Marine, but they look like a good source of cooking-related parts I will want to buy eventually.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.