Engine mount - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-07-2016 Thread Starter

Engine mount

Engine mount is bolted to the raised bed. Noticed that one bolt was not seated. Marina raised engine when replacing transmission.....guess they didn't think it was important to tighten it. I tightened but it didn't resist when seated against the lock washer. I didn't keep tightening. Anyone know how the engine mounts are bolted to the raised bed? Is there a nut underneath, below the fiberglass bed?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-07-2016

Re: Engine mount

Maybe just a rotted beam of fiberglassed wood .Not to worry as long as you don't heel under sail and the engine falls over
post #3 of 8 Old 02-08-2016
Beyond The Pale

Um, going around and randomly tightening Engine Mount bolts is Not A Good Idea. A proper Marine Mechanic should chime in here, but when the Engine/Transmission is aligned to the Propeller Shaft, Mounts can look a bit odd. But there it is- Boatbuilding isn't yet an exact Science.

The important thing is that the Propeller Shaft is aligned; if it is not, all sorts of irritations will occur, like when on Rundown, the shift in the Engine Mounts may make the Shear Pin, if the setup has one, to... Shear. That is what it is supposed to do. (If CV Joints were commonly used, which they are not, this wouldn't be a problem.)

I went through half a dozen Shear Pins on my last Boat, a decade or three back, before I figured this out- The Mechanic who had reinstalled the Volvo MD2B for the previous owner, after an unfortunate intake of Seawater, just jammed everything down tight. (That wasn't the only thing done wrong...)
Raising the Starboard Rear Mount about 3/64 of an inch, the thickness of a SS Washer, was the solution, and the Packing Gland stopped leaking as well. And I eventually installed a CV Joint, from an old Audi Fox, just in case. (This set the Propeller back around three inches, which wasn't a problem.)

I don't know about the installation on your particular Boat...
I also don't know about the installation on my current Boat; it just works, and whoever did the installation knew _exactly_ what they were doing. There is some sort of Rubber Booted Thingie going from Aft Propeller Shaft to Fiberglass. I do know that the Thingie is French, and that there is a French Manual for it, which was included in the purchase, as well as some spare O-Rings.
If I ever have problems there, I shall have to brush up on my French.

It seems to me that you need a proper Marine Mechanic, which I am not.
I just muddle through problems, and trundle through waters.

Best of Wishes;

ČErindipity
post #4 of 8 Old 02-08-2016

Normally the bolts that hold the engine mounts to the bed-way will not influence propshaft alignment. If you resist fiddling with the bolts above that set the height the mounting (see thumbnail), the shaft will stay where it is. The other bolts/mountings will keep everything where it is.

Also normally, the bolts that are used are really just large wood screws with a hex head. It is quite rare for any form of nut or tapping plate to be embedded into the wooden beam. If it is stripped, there are two options - first is to increase the size of the bolt/screw. The second is to knock a peg of hardwood into the hole, cut it off flush and screw the original screw into it. The second would be my choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine mount.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
post #5 of 8 Old 02-08-2016

Omatako is right. One of our bolts(screws) was stripped and just spinning in the hole. I filled the hole with thickened epoxy and re-drilled the hole. That was two years ago and it has held fine. Because they are just giant wood screws they can easily strip if you really torque down on them.

Brian & Marya
S/V Indigo
Pacific Seacraft 34
Hull #281

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-09-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'll try the epoxy.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-09-2016

I ditto BMLipiec (Hi, Brian!). If the lag bolt is for one of the aft mounts (especially if it is the aftermost bolt on an aft mount), there is one big caveat: when you extract the lag bolt, measure the depth of the hole the lag bolt actually makes below the surface of the engine bed after going through the engine mount and washer. Then, be very careful not to drill any deeper than that into the new epoxy when you replace it. The hull is very close to the engine bed at that point. It is possible to drill right through the hull if you are not careful.

Dave Mancini
PSC34 #305 Swan

Last edited by DaveMancini; 02-09-2016 at 08:32 PM. Reason: error
post #8 of 8 Old 02-09-2016

Hey Dave! Good point, I should have mentioned that. The lag bolt you mentioned was the same one I had to fix.

On a related note and added caution: I almost drilled through the hull of my last boat (above the waterline) when the bit depth stop I was using backed off slowly after multiple holes. I kept drilling a little deeper each time and almost drilled through before I realized it. It was one of those metal collar stops that fit over the bit and tightened down with an allen screw. I no longer trust those things.

Brian & Marya
S/V Indigo
Pacific Seacraft 34
Hull #281

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.