Awl Grip - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-10-2016 Thread Starter

Awl Grip

I'm considering Awl Gripping my hull. Thoughts/advice?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-11-2016

Re: Awl Grip

We switched from AwlGrip to Alexseal about 4 years ago. Current product, made by the inventor of AwlGrip, after his non-compete ran out from selling AwlGrip. Both are good products, but Alexseal is supposed to be more easily repaired (I have infact had it repaired and it's undetectable). Some say AwlGrip really can't be repaired.

Both really need to be professionally applied, but there are some brave souls out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (02-15-2016)
post #3 of 8 Old 02-11-2016
Just another Moderator

We did our own Awlgrip paint job.. certainly didn't turn out "Pro" but it was a huge improvement nontheless. We had a bit of a team, with spouses mixing whilst spraying. I'd say the biggest 'downfall' (which was mostly only visible close up and in certain light/angles) was amateur prep.

Based on what I've heard since, like Minnie I'd probably give Alexseal a go next time.

But it's a ton of work, and had we been smarter/more meticulous about prep it would have been an even better result. Also highly suggest, if you DIY, you pick a light, forgiving colour.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (02-15-2016)

post #4 of 8 Old 02-11-2016
ASA and PSIA Instructor

My last boat was painted with Imron and I found it much easier to maintain over time than my experience with AwlGrip, your could compound and buff the finish just like gelcoat. My underastand is that the AwlCraft product has more the properties of Imron, perhaps a local materials scientist will chip in on this.

For AwlGrip versus AwlCraft, see Repairing Topcoat, Awlgrip vs. Awlcraft and Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000? which is best?

Regardless if you want a yacht-quality finish, have the boat professionally sprayed, and for long-term appearance, use a white finish and it will less show damage over time.

Certified...in several regards...
The Following User Says Thank You to sailingfool For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (02-15-2016)
post #5 of 8 Old 02-11-2016

Darker the color, the more unforgiving this is. Preparation is everything. Do it wrong, and you're boat will look like a funhouse mirror. Do it right, and you can shave in your reflection. From my friends in the business, I believe Mini's advice on Alexseal is correct.

I wish I didn't like dark colored topsides.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (02-15-2016)
post #6 of 8 Old 02-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
My last boat was painted with Imron and I found it much easier to maintain over time than my experience with AwlGrip, your could compound and buff the finish just like gelcoat. My underastand is that the AwlCraft product has more the properties of Imron, perhaps a local materials scientist will chip in on this.

For AwlGrip versus AwlCraft, see Repairing Topcoat, Awlgrip vs. Awlcraft and Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000? which is best?

Regardless if you want a yacht-quality finish, have the boat professionally sprayed, and for long-term appearance, use a white finish and it will less show damage over time.
Just be a little careful of the 9 year old threads. They are worth a read to understand the basic paint differences between Awlgrip and Awlcraft style paints (although I glanced by one post that was factually incorrect....... hint-give more credibility to MaineSail descriptions that others).

Quickly, the Awlgrip is much harder paint, therefore more durable, The pigment and clear coat separate while it's hardening, creating the outer layer that protects and shines. The Awlcraft has pigment throughout the paint and, while more prone to wear and tear, can be compounded back to a fresh layer. You can't compound Awlgrip, because you'll just remove the clear coat.

Since these dated threads, enter Alexseal on the scene. It is a paint that is forumlaicly tough, like Awlgrip, but has the pigment throughout. Best of both worlds.

Captain's choice. I do think the Acrylic Awlcraft is easier for a DIY project. We're happy with Alexseal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-14-2016
Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

Just had my 30 year old PS done. It was originally dark green, but years of baking in the sun caused the mat to print through in spots. If you boat is showing any print through you really need to do a light color. I chose whisper gray for the topsides and it came out beautifully.

This is definitely not a do it yourself job if you lack auto or boat painting experience. Due to the extreme gloss, any imperfections stick out like a sore thumb. This means, proper prep, proper spray technique and you need to do it indoors as any dust or dirt will show from several feet away.

Note that new paint will probably not increase the value of your boat a nickle, but it will look brand new.

CS

S/V Wayfinder - 1985 Pacific Seacraft 34
The Following User Says Thank You to cshrimpt For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (02-15-2016)
post #8 of 8 Old 02-15-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks to all. If I am going to do it, I would definitely have it done professionally. I would want it to be dark green though, and from what people say it may make any flaws in the hull really stand out. Sure would look nice though...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.