SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How do the port light screens work?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Tanski 
#1 ·
All,

I don't know if these came with the boat or are aftermarket but I have port light screens for my 34. Trouble is, I don't see how they are used.

The dimensions of the screens are exactly the size of the port light outer opening, I.E., they fit the opening exactly to the outside of the rim. Therefore there is no way to attach them unless there is some kind of gasket or mount that I'm missing.

If you have these and know how they work, let me know.

As you can see from the attached image, there is nothing to hold them on.

Thanks,

Shrimp

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
As Lou Ann said, the portlight screens for the original ports go into the openings from the outside. The oval bronze ports are larger on their outside than on their inside. You can close the portlights with their screens still in place.

The screens for the Balmar hatches are the opposite. They go in from the inside because for the hatches the inside of the opening is larger than the outside. The screens for the three Balmar hatches must be removed when the hatches are closed because the latch knobs hang down where the screens go.

It takes two framed screens to do the companionway hatch -- one slides in where the dropboards go and the other rests on the moulding below the open companionway slide.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

#4 ·
Thanks all. It looks like they simply push on from the outside although that seems a little below average as they can pretty easily fall out. I also have the companionway screen set which is very nice.

Shrimp

#5 ·
Use a little bit of butyl tape to "stick" them in.
My v-birth screen had a fun habit of falling on your head at random times through the night, couple peas of butyl and now it stay in place but is easy to remove.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.