SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A couple of plumbing questions

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  elliowb 
#1 ·
I just replaced the port scupper line on my PSC34 and noticed something that is probably unique to my boat, but thought I'd ask anyway. The handle on the thru-hull for that scupper line does not fully close the ball valve. It hits the inside of the liner, just underneath where the two drawers in the galley are located. I'm guessing that this is probably because either the hole for the thru-hull got drilled too high or that the liner was installed a bit too low. I think that I can trim the width of the handle by about one-half and get it to close completely, but just curious if anyone else has run into this issue.

The second question relates to the aft water tank fill. My fitting has been leaking for some time. It appears that someone had previously tried to repair this by simply rotating the fitting by about a quarter inch and then re-bedded and drilled holes for new screws. This was unsuccessful, so I'm filling in all the old holes and hoping to do the job correctly. My question is whether anyone has tried to replace the fill hose. Mine is full of crud, not unlike the crud I cleaned out of the tank. I'd like to put in a new line, but the space is very tight and that line passes by the scupper line on the starboard side, so it appears that there is virtually zero space between the hull and the liner, beyond that required for the two hoses to pass each other. How big a pain is it to do that job?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Is it possible that your scupper valve was R&R along the way and put back in the wrong plane (eg. perpendicular vs parallel to water line)? Put some pipe dope on the threads and you can often adjust a bit.

Can't say I'm familiar with your deck fill set up, but when working with hose, it's best to have a heat gun available.

#3 ·
Is it possible that your scupper valve was R&R along the way and put back in the wrong plane (eg. perpendicular vs parallel to water line)? Put some pipe dope on the threads and you can often adjust a bit.
No, that's unlikely. At that point the liner has a horizontal shelf (which makes the bottom of the drawer area), the thru-hull is below the liner and the scupper hose goes through a hole drilled in the liner. So, I don't think that could explain it. I've seen worse get through QC at other boat plants and this is a thru-hull that is right at the waterline, so it might be that no one has ever tried to turn it off.

Can't say I'm familiar with your deck fill set up, but when working with hose, it's best to have a heat gun available.
I'll bring one along. This run is in a very difficult to access place. Most of the run is between the hull and the liner, with limited access to that space and two places where the hose goes through a 2" hole, and one 90 degree turn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.