Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2006

DaveMancini is on a distinguished road
Rick,
I am a worrier by nature. My stress comes from making sure everthing is comming together timewise. We have sold our house to afford this and are living in a hovel month to month. We are arranging storage for everything we own that's not going on the boat. We are collecting all the bits that will go on the boat and they are piled high in the hovel (chain, anchors, stove, etc.). We live 1000 miles from where the boat will be launched, so we are having to organize getting all the bits we have collected for the boat to the boat after having sold our cars. We are both still working so we have the timing associated with leaving our jobs involved. We are having to rearrange all our finances for an extended stay out of the country, including international health insurance, etc.. All of this revolves around when exactly the boat will be ready, which is a moving target, although PSC has done their best to pin it down to within a few weeks plus or minus. This launch date is muddled by all of the custom stuff I've thrown at PSC to do/not do to the boat. Finally, we are trying to get everything done/installed before May 1 and the start of the hurricane season so we can squeeze by to the South Pacific. You probably get the picture.
Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2006
Senior Moment

RickBowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Dave,
Indeed I do understand. It's a tremendous effort that you are putting forth. My challenges pale when compared to what is in the works for you. I wish you the absolute best and God's speed.
Rick
Old 01-15-2007
Senior Moment

RickBowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Are there any other Pacific Seacraft Sailors that are having good results with replacement parts ordering? I ordered directly from Robin almost 4 weeks ago using a credit card to secure the order. I still have not received anything nor is he returning my phone messages.
Old 01-15-2007
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
Wow. I agree you are putting in a monumental effort to get going. That kind of organization and planning is exactly the kind of thinking that is necessary for successful blue water cruising. It reminds me of Shakleton.
Old 01-16-2007
Sometimes a Member

richnren is on a distinguished road
Customer Service

I called in looking for a pair of midship cleats (never originally installed on my 34) and got a return call from Robin after 3-4 days.

He promised to let me know if they still stocked them and to get me a measurement for where the factory installs them. He also gave me a source if I wanted to order them direct. I told him that I would prefer to get them through PSC (if they're going to the trouble to look them up, they should make a few dollars).

I have not heard back for several weeks now, and will call back.

Last year, I had to call in about 3 times to get an answer, but when I ordered and paid for a fuel tank, they made it and shipped it very promptly. My yard will install it this winter.

I don't know how this experience compares to those of others on the list, but I'll post if anything unusual happens.
Old 01-17-2007

Sparrow409 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sparrow409
Customer Service/Warranty Issues for New Boat

We have had difficulties getting payment for warrantied parts for our boat—a one-year-old Saga 409 (Allan Poole, former owner of the now-defunct Saga Marine, now heads up Pacific Seacraft, where he continues to build Saga boats). We had to re-bed all the windows in our new boat early last summer—the original installment was extremely sloppy and leaked like crazy--and Pacific Seacraft assured us that they would take care of the bill for the job. Six months and many phone calls later, we still had not received any payment (we were even told once that ‘the check is in the mail’). Finally, last month, we were told by Pacific Seacraft that they simply didn’t have the money to pay us. Earlier this month, we did receive 50 percent of the cost for the rebedding, but we have no idea when or if we’ll ever see the remaining balance, given what appears to be the shaky financial health of the company.

The whole process of buying a brand-new boat was unexpectedly difficult for us, both time- and cost-wise. We learned the hard way that purchasing a new boat is not like purchasing a new car, and any prospective boat buyers out there would be well advised to have a lawyer perform due diligence on any company they’re planning to do business with. If anyone is considering the purchase of either a new Saga or Pacific Seacraft, I spent a long time last winter at Saga yachts in Canada trying to get my boat off the factory floor and I am very familiar with the management team that is now in place at PSC. I welcome any questions to the good, the bad and the ugly of our experience.
Old 01-17-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Sparrow 409,

Your experience seems to mirror mine when I bought a CS36 Merlin from CS Yachts many years ago. To have to pay most of the money before your boat is built is an unnerving process. Constant delays, rumours of insolvency and excuses from the manufacturer make for a lot of worrying. I got my boat out of the yard as soon as possible (some of the trim was unfinished) because if the boat's still in the factory it belongs to them even if you've paid 90% of it and can be seized by the sheriff if the company goes tits up. As it happened CS did not go bankrupt but stopped production soon after. Mr. Poole (General Manager at CS then I believe ) went on to build boats at Saga. As for my latest boat, I bought it when it was sitting in the dealers lot, new and complete. A much less stressful process. Good luck with your 409. Another Tony Castro boat like the CS34, CS36 Merlin and CS40.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2007
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
No more thant 10% of the purchase price should be paid before delivery of the vessel and if they insist on more money than the additional funds should be held in an escrow account and not released until delivery and a satisfactory inspection by a marine surveyor. That way you have plenty of leverage over the process. If your funds are needed to get the work done that would indicate the company is on a shaky footing and you would be best advised to have the boat built elsewhere.
Old 01-18-2007

Sparrow409 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sparrow409
Pacific Seacraft & Saga

Thanks for your replies: Rick, your experience certainly does mirror mine, and Long Waterline, if I had had your advice before I signed the contract and forked over lots of cash I would have put it to good use.

Ironically, after I had pretty much paid for the boat entirely, a friend referred me to a thread on this website (see the Buying a Boat forum, and go to the SAGA YACHTS thread, then read post #11 by Reg Bates dated 12-12-2004). In hindsight, it is interesting to see this post (and the spirited defense of Saga that follows it). Reg's assessment of the situation seems spot on. I hope this doesn't presage for PSC what has happened to so many other builders: Saga, CS, Hinterhoeler...

Best,

Bert
Old 01-18-2007
Sometimes a Member

richnren is on a distinguished road
Customer Service

I got a call back from Robin and a price for the cleats. He sounded frazzled, but was very courteous.

Hopefully they should be on their way.

I'll follow up if I don't have them in a couple of weeks (allowing for ground shipping to the east coast). If I don't post, you can assume I got them and that everything is fine.