Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006
Senior Moment

RickBowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Poor 'none' Factory Response

Has anyone tried to get assistance from the factory recently? I can not get anyone to return calls or emails concerning needed replacement parts. Is Pacific Seacraft in financial trouble? I am looking for the standard cabinet doot locking latch that was used in the head in 1997. Can anyone help with this? Thank you.
As a follow up to the previous posting, I have received a phone call today 19Jan07 from Robin at PS. I certainly wish him and the PS Company the best and have no ill will towards them. I have cleaned, polished, cut holes into, maintained, replaced, tuned, etc. my refurbishing of the PS32PH this winter while it's in heated storage. There isn't one place on this boat, well maybe one, that I havent stuck my head into or camera into for a capture that hasn't impressed me. After owning 2 production boats, one new, it is absolutely enjoyable fitting out this outstanding vessel knowing that it is going to be enjoyed for years to come. PS did it right on my PH and Robin states that this is still their goal. I like him and wish all at PS a great year. Happy New Year Pacific Seacraft!

Last edited by RickBowman; 01-19-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2006
Senior Moment

After posting the previous message online I did receive a followup call 'naturally I missed it' and an Email from Robin at Pacific Seacraft. I tried twice unsecessfully to return the call before closing time and never got through, and I replied to the email. My inquiry process started 12/02 and there has been a rumbling from the west but still nothing concrete has occured. Sure am glad that I am not stranded somewhere waiting for this factory to deliver.

I finally gave up on PS ordering and receiving the requested parts from a different company. What a waste of my time dealing with them over these.

Last edited by RickBowman; 02-24-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-16-2006

gpeacock is on a distinguished road
Something is going on. I was speaking to John at PS about a different latch and some other items, and he sort of ignored me. He'd talk to me on the phone when I called, but just not do what he said he would. Then, just last Friday a week ago, I was informed that John was gone, that they'd had some problems, and a new person for customer service was to start the following Monday.

I have not tried to call the new person back since then. Has your poor experience been recently, last week, for example?

gary peacock
S/Y GLORY
PSC#& hull161
Old 12-17-2006
Senior Moment

Gary,
Yes, last week and the week before that and the week before that. I must not be an important customer to Pacific Seacraft. I purchased a used, somewhat neglected, but little used Pilothouse and am refurbishing it to the highest standard, hence even the broken catch on the cabinet door in the head is important. I am impressed with the construction of the Pilothouse and when I called PS 3 years ago, I was put in contact with the President which really surprised me. He was a very warm and friendly fellow and I decided, because of him that I would look further into his companies vessels. His attitude towards PS was impecable...he impressed me. I can't believe that my recent and second experience is but a misnomer; a fluke in the system. The PS website has been recently down, or most of it has been. That is the reason for my comment on an earlier posting if they might be in financial trouble? I certainly have no ill will for PS or John or Robin, I just need parts for the boat that they built. I will keep this group abreast of any new developments.
Rick
Old 12-18-2006

DaveMancini is on a distinguished road
Rick,

I was at the factory two weeks ago in connection with the boat they are building for me. John was replaced by Robin Bradshaw. There have been major changes at PSC recently, including personnel. Robin is a welcomed addition (worked there previously for many years). The website, apparently, is to be upgraded. Unfortunately, big changes can sometimes lead to a little confusion in the middle of them. Hopefully, that will smooth out soon. What follows is a press release explaining a lot. I got it off the sailnet list for PSC.

Dave

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Sept. 8, 2006, Fullerton, California USA

MAJOR COURSE CHANGE FOR PACIFIC SEACRAFT CORP.

At the August dealer gathering in Fullerton, Pacific Seacraft Corporation unveiled a bold initiative that promises to put the California yacht manufacturer at the forefront of the cruising sailboat market. In addition to their own Pacific Seacraft traditional-style cruisers, they now manufacture and market the Saga brand of high performance cruisers. The recent addition of Saga models to its line optimizes Pacific Seacraft’s production efficiency and also attracts a fresh new sailing clientele to its expanded line of products. The company’s new business strategy is designed to capitalize on the synergies between the brands.

A key element in Pacific Seacraft’s future plans is the recent appointment of Allan Poole to the CEO position. Mr. Poole is a life-long industry veteran with solid management credentials from executive stints at several leading North American and European boat builders. He began his career in Great Britain as a boatbuilder immediately after graduation from Strathclyde University in Glasgow with a degree in engineering. Subsequently, he has held high level positions at several US and Canadian firms. A lifelong sailor, his sailing resume ranges from world championship IOR “Ton Cup” racing to cruising around the Caribbean with his wife and family.

At the recent Pacific Seacraft Dealer meeting, Poole advised the dealers, “Pacific Seacraft is committed to expand on its 28 year record of building ‘America’s Best Cruising Sailboats’ (Editor’s note: according to Fortune Magazine) and not just rely on a well deserved reputation.”

(continued next page)

“I do see a golden opportunity to enhance the quality, durability and value of the Pacific Seacraft line by embracing technical advances made available to us in the 21st century.” Poole added, “The addition of Saga to our product line earlier this year introduced an array of modern materials and methods to our plant and its employees. The Pacific Seacraft line can profoundly benefit from this synergy as we apply these advances to our Pacific Seacraft brand. In the same vein the current Sagas we are now building have already been blessed with a myriad of refinements in specification and quality upgrades taken from the Pacific Seacraft legacy as we have adapted the Saga product to suit our standard in-house practices.”

Although the specifics were not made public, Poole indicated planning for business through 2008 was well developed. Production capacity has recently been increased with new additions to the shop staff to meet the orders already booked for fall through early spring and to accommodate the new Saga product. Further plant hires will be required by year end to accomodate the fall boat show order influx. Soon announcements will be made of new additions to customer service, product development, and marketing departments. And finally, two completely new Pacific Seacraft models are now under development with one just handed over to Bill Crealock this past week.

Poole concluded, “I am excited and invigorated by this challenge. The strong history and time-honored traditions of this company will be respected. It’s an honor and an opportunity to take the helm at this time in its history and guide it to a new level of prominence in this millennium. I sense the same kind of excitement as the thrill of taking departure for a long ocean voyage --- it’s the beginning of a great adventure. I invite our dealers, our owners and fans, as well as industry observers to pay close attention to Pacific Seacraft. We have a lot of news forthcoming.”

BACKGROUND:
Pacific Seacraft Corporation is a luxury yacht manufacturer located in Fullerton, California (Los Angeles area). The company handcrafts and markets two lines of yachts, Pacific Seacraft (Dana 24, Pacific Seacraft 31’,34’,37’, 40’ and 44’, all designed by William Crealock) and Saga Yachts (Saga 409 a Tony Castro design; Saga 43, and 48 both by Robert H. Perry). The Pacific Seacraft line of yachts is marketed to discriminating cruising sailors desiring “retro” styling and traditional features. The Saga brand is marketed to technically savvy sailors desiring high performance in an offshore cruiser with up-to-the-minute features and styling.

Pacific Seacraft has been twice cited by FORTUNE MAGAZINE as “The 100 best products of their type, built in America.” Pacific Seacraft was also featured in volumes I and II of the bestsellers, The World’s Best Sailboats, authored by Ferenc Mate. The Saga 48 was named “2004 Boat of the Year”. The Saga 43 was also Boat of the Year, First Runner-up in 1996.
Old 12-19-2006
Senior Moment

Dave,

Thanks for your reply/post. I did read part of the news release in a recent sailing magazine. Which model are you having built and how long will it take to build it? How has your experience been with PS? HAve you asked about customer support and parts availabilty after the sale?

Have you read about Robert Egg and the Norsea brand of boat that is built in California? Many complaints which have been well documented in court hearings and posted on the net are still viewable. None the less, it's a stout and beautiful boat, "lapstrak hull" and can even be trailered. "well, transported by a capable tow vehicle."

Rick
Old 12-19-2006

Rick,

We are having a PS34 built. It should be done around the first part of February. I first went to the factory in June. On this last visit, I saw big improvements. The place was very busy. There were a lot more people working on boats. Allan Poole is making big changes in every facet of the business from marketing to production and, of course, this takes some time. He has plans for an online store for aftermarket stuff. He is a very personable and energetic guy with lots of experience organizing boatbuilding companies for success.

I think you got caught in between the change in the customer service person. I think you'll find Robin much more helpful. If you check the PSC list you'll find a bunch of responses to the announcement of his coming aboard with very positive comments. Many of the comments had to do with how helpful Robin had been finding obscure parts. I'd give him a try. Also, you might try posting on the List. There are a lot more people frequenting it, and PSC marketing and sales people monitor it and have responded to issues frequently. Good luck with your boat and I hope you find your part.

Dave
Old 12-21-2006
Senior Moment

Robin found

Dave,
I was finally able to catch up to Robin and I have ordered the needed parts. Thanks so much for your up to date information on PSC. I bet your new boat is going to be marvelous. Are you going through a dealer or directly through the factory? February 1 is not that far away, it's got to be exciting for you anticipating the new arrival? Where will you be sailing her and have you picked a name yet? What sort of accessories have you ordered to be included? What electronics have you chosen?

I have installed a rather inexpensive compaq laptop at the inside helm on a west marine adjustable swing bracket using maptech software with a wass enabled usb gps. It is a sevicable arrangement. I finally figured out that there are different light intensity settings and even day/night/fog/etc screens that are software adjustable that will produce different colors "even a nice dim red for night ", of course after I sailed into Tawas harbour at night being throughly light blinded by the screen. I am looking at installing an XM weather system but am still hunting for the best price and will wait untill after the Strictly Sail show in February before I purchase it. The best price I have found to date is $675.00, new. There was a private owner from California that was advertising a used unit that was never installed for I think $500.00 but I am hessitant on purchasing electronics in that fashion. The XM weather will connect to the laptop through usb. I have seen this in use and it's awesome. I am still looking for the right supplier for an autopilot, maybe at the boat show in February?

After owning one new boat and working on it for 5 years and selling it for what I paid for it, plus sailing the dog breath out of her, keeping her up to the highest standard, including inside heated storage, I discovered that there are sailors that will pay top dollar for a vessel that is ready to go in bristol condition. It's darn near as enjoyable to work on a boat as it is to sail one.
Rick
An update on ordered parts secured witha full credit card payment placed with Robin at PS. I ordered 2 kits 3 weeks ago and as of this date, 9Jan07 nothing has arrived. An inquiry call has been placed to Robin at PS.

Last edited by RickBowman; 01-09-2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2006

Rick,
I'm glad you were able to connect. I went through the factory only because when I called there in April, they took the ball and ran with it. I think it would be different now because Allan Poole is more dealer oriented and would probably have directed me to a dealer. Yes, we can barely contain ourselves and the stress. Allan says having a boat built is like having a baby, joyous, but stressful.

The boat's name will be the Swan. We will immediately prepare her for a circumnavigation beginning in May or November depending upon whether we can beat the hurricane season or not. Having cruised bluewater before, I am a fan of going light on the systems. In fact, I have ordered the boat sans some of the stock systems (pressure/hot water, shower, wheel steering, etc.). Allan jokes that he has never seen anyone go into the negative on the options.

We will have a Furuno GPS and backup with simple lat/lon readout and rely on paper charts, many of which I have leftover from the last voyage. We will also have the good old Plath sextant aboard, just in case. We will use a laptop weatherfax from NOAA SSB (ham) transmissions. Other than a handheld VHF, that will be it. The West Marine arm is good. The autopilot will be a Monitor vane steering system.

I totally agree with you about keeping a boat up to stock. Not only will buyers appreciate it and pay extra, but anything else is sacrilegious.

Dave
Old 12-23-2006
Senior Moment

Dave,
I Never had a boat built, but I have built homes. The stress in building homes for me was caused by sub contractors that didn't do what they agreed to or would cause a problem with other sub contractors that were trying to do their job. Firing a hot head is not my favorite thing to do especially when he has a hammer in his tool pouch. Why did I post all of this? Because I am curious what stress you are experiencing having a boat built for you?
Rick