SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Robert Perry Design P38 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/27040-robert-perry-design-p38.html)

arisatx 12-23-2006 02:34 PM

Robert Perry Design P38

Hi all - my first post here after lurking for some time.

I see that there is a Perry design "P38" in the works at PSC.

Here are some drawings at Cruising Yachts International and a mention of the project on Perry's website

At first I thought it was the "new" name for their 377 project, but as I understand, that was a WIB Crealock design

SailorMitch 12-23-2006 05:39 PM

Bob Perry first reported on the new project on Sailing Anarchy's Cruising Anarchy forum a couple of months ago. He posts there quite a bit, and it's great to have access to a legendary designer rather than just wannabes. He had a very good year for designs from the Far Harbor 39, to the Flying Tiger 10M to the new Pacific Seacraft 38 footer.

arisatx 12-24-2006 08:30 AM

SailorMitch:

Thanks for the tip on the SA cruising forum.

There's an even more recent post where Perry confirms he's also starting design work on a new Valiant 53'.

These are interesting times!:D

niko 01-08-2007 09:20 PM

So what happened to the 377??

Will this new P38 actually replace the 377? I mean, they seem rather overlapped boats, no?

Violent sort of changes at PS.. merger with Saga, new management and now a seeming breakup with Bill Crealock? You 're right, interesting times indeed.

Bob Perry is making a nasty habbit of moving into Bill Crealock's turf :-)
First Cabo Rico, now Pacific Seacraft..

camaraderie 01-09-2007 12:34 AM

Perry designed the Saga...so I guess it is pretty natural that PS should put him to work designing traditional looking boats that take advantage of modern technology and design principles. I think WIB must be nearing 80 by now so perhaps he doesn't want to go in another direction.

RickBowman 01-09-2007 10:02 PM

Hi Ted,
Are you considering the P38? Perry is an awesome designer, but weigh out of my LOA and BIB "Bucks in Bank". A 10,000 lb bulb keel with a 16' draft....ahem...got me there. Thanks for the posting; found your links quite interesting. Pray for our troops!
Regards,

Rick PS32PH
s/v JudyAnn

arisatx 01-09-2007 11:26 PM

Niko:
Not sure what happened to that 377. I had heard they were trying to show it at Annapolis, but I take it that never materialized. Saw some of the mockup photos on the pacificseacraft.com site, but I notice some of the references to it have been removed recently. I agree, I can't imagine they will go forward with both the Crealock 377 and the Perry P38. For that matter, I wonder if they will continue production of the venerable Voyagemaker 37 :( . Oh well, I got mine.

arisatx 01-09-2007 11:36 PM

Rick - nah - no serious considerations on the P38 at this time, we're still enjoying our PSC37. But it doesn't hurt to daydream - esp. for us Lake Michigan sailors over the winter months, now does it? :D

RickBowman 01-20-2007 10:32 PM

Ted,
How are you storing your PS this off season? Do you have any plans or current projects?
Rick

Vasco 01-21-2007 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=camaraderie]Perry designed the Saga...[/QUOTE

Saga turned to Tony Castro for their last effort. He's not noted for cruising designs. Although I have one of his designs (CS36Merlin) I think Perry is a much better choice.