SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bronze Hawse Pipe Covers...Sources??

8K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  wsmurdoch 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'd like to find replacement covers for our bronze hawse pipes on Jo Beth. She's an '84, so these are the 'old style' types. I hesitate to call them 'oval', but I believe that's how they're identified. Specifically, I'm looking for ones with hooks to hold the end of the rode up and ready.

Anyway, I've looked all over - Spartan Marine Hardware, Bristol Bronze, Buck-Algonquin, and so on...but no luck. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
I've found plenty in SS and chromed bronze, from Hamilton marine, West Marine, Defender, etc. Finding them in good ol' bronze seems to be the issue - and Spartan Marine does have them in bronze, but not the correct size...

#6 · (Edited)
True, true enough...

I also looked around without success. I'd bet they were a ABI part.

The closest I found was the round thing at Round Rope Chain Deck Pipes, Investment Cast 316 Stainless Steel Oval Hawse Pipes, Oval Hawse Pipes by Sea Dog , but they are round.

This one on ebay looks similar, but is not hinged. VINTAGE ROPE DECK PIPE BRONZE ANCHOR HAWSE With LID | eBay

I wonder if Thumper has a source.
I haven't looked on E-Bay yet. I did send Thumper a note, but he's not answered.

I'm wondering about taking the covers and cleaning up the undersides of each with a wire brush/grinder wheel, and tack-welding (or 'tack-brazing') a new hook on them...then attaching new chains...or figuring out another way to secure the rode end to the cover.

#12 ·
I know that you are looking for replacement covers for the hawse pipes on your PSC 34. But, if you still have the original covers, and all you want to do is add a hook... on my PSC the original covers have a little raised and drilled tit on the inside bottom of the hinged cover. I tapped the hole and screwed in a bent stainless eye bolt. I did it on both the hawse pipe cover on the bow and the similar cover in the stern. On the bow I now use the eye bolt to hold the end of a bungee cord that keeps the cover closed with the starboard side anchor chain passing through the notch in the cover on its way to the anchor. On the stern the end of the chain is tied with a little piece of 1/8" cord to the bow shackle at the end of the chain so that the weight of the chain keeps the cover closed and so that I can find the end of the chain when I need it.

Are your hawse pipe covers smooth on the inside, or do they have a raised bit? I don't have a photo of mine and will not be back on the boat until mid January, but I will take a picture when we return to the boat.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

#15 ·
I've thought of this as well. I'll take a look when I'm home this afternoon. My cover's aren't hinged though, they are/were secured with chain lanyards, which I believe were of brass...but yes, the hook is primarily what I'm after.

#14 · (Edited)
I've made many bronze parts from cleats,rode pipes to anchor rollers from bronze. Make a pattern (plaster, plywood, it doesn't matter) or if you have another of the same part take it to any local foundry (every city has at least a couple) and have it sand cast. I had some done last year and was charged $6/lb.

Lots of stuff on Youtube about how you can even do this at home.

#17 ·
It's possible a Westsail 32 hawse pipe & cover is the same as a Crealock since Bill Crealock did both of them. If that's the case the main resource for W32 parts is Bud Taplin, ex-general manager of Westsail. His site is: www.westsailparts.com - About Us. I checked his parts listing and he shows this item: DKPIPOVL Oval Deck Pipe for anchor chain - SS AA56005 40.00 each.

Here's the link for his parts listing: www.westsailparts.com - About Us

John Newcomer
s/v Pelagic
1980 C37 Yawl (#22)
Lying Lake Union, WA

#19 ·
I had the same issue with my cover on my Cape Dory 30B. The starboard cover was missing and using tin cans and plastic was just not cutting it. I looked into having one made and it was going to involve providing the other cover for a period of time as well as $200 or so in cash.

Based upon recommendations I stopped by at Bacons Sails (I have no association with them other than being a satisfied customer) and asked about available covers. I was directed to a box of various covers and in about 5 seconds discovered the exact match for my missing cover. It was a complete set to include the thru deck fitting so it likely cost me a bit more but for the grand cost of $10 the set was mine.

I took off the deteriorated chrome with some sandpaper and the results turned out so nice that I went ahead and put some clear coat on it. Now I have to do the port side!

I would recommend giving Bacons a call, they seem to be very helpful. Their number is 410-263-4880. Even with shipping costs you might save a few bucks.

I've added a couple of photos of what I got, you can see what the cover looked like prior to cleaning off the chrome:2 boat: by looking at the deck fitting.

V/r

Pete

Attachments

#20 ·
I should have noted (since some folks might, especially not in the Chesapeake bay area and may not be familiar with Bacons) that the establishment has sailing "junk" like what someone would have in their basement after sailing for 50 years but multiplied by a million. I spent half a day there just looking and couldn't depart without spending a lot more than the $10 for the cover...many other treasures. I understand they got their start by recycling used sails and then expanded.

Great resource for Sailors!

V/r

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.