Chainplates - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Chainplates

Just acquired a 1978 Crealock 37. Chainplates look good but I know they are going on 40 years old. Is it possible that they could still be trustworthy?
Markwesti likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Chainplates

At 40 years old not really. Even if they aren't corroded they have been work hardened to the point I wouldn't trust them anymore.
olson34 and svjobeth like this.

Greg
The Following User Says Thank You to Stumble For This Useful Post:
Koukla (4 Weeks Ago)
post #3 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Only way to know for sure is to pull them off. If you have any design on offshore sailing then it is prudent to replace them. Standing rigging as well. All this before the huge inverter, watermaker, A/C, and the other luxury items. Might pull the mast too and give it a good going over. How's that rudder doing? Thru hulls? Sails? The important stuff that will keep you out here. Good luck.
svjobeth likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to aeventyr60 For This Useful Post:
Koukla (4 Weeks Ago)

post #4 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

That's a item that is addressed in the Westsail maintenance manual and like aeventyr60 says pull it and find out . However , are there rust stains around the chain plates ? If not I wouldn't worry about it to much . Does the Crealock 37 have a history with problem chain plates ? Westsails have problems with the boomkin tangs for one thing they get under water and the early ones weren't wide enough they rusted and cracked around the thru bolt . But you just got the boat , enjoy it and watch stuff .
Awesome boat ! CREALOCK 37 (PACIFIC SEACRAFT) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

PS welcome to Sailnet hope to hear more about you and the boat .
fallard likes this.

Westsail 28 , Patricia A

Last edited by Markwesti; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Markwesti For This Useful Post:
Koukla (4 Weeks Ago)
post #5 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I have a 38 year old boat with extremely solid chain plates, and supposedly a reputation for bad chain plates, but she has spent about 28 years in fresh water, hauled out and covered for 6 months a year for most of those 28. I think it depends.

Bay Hen 21, Prindle 16, Walker Bay 8
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
Koukla (4 Weeks Ago)
post #6 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Replace them. Be safe. Its a seriously fantastic boat. I'm envious. But don't risk your rig on 40 year old bits of metal that have almost certainly brittled over the years. And as others have noted...check out those thru hulls, seacocks, and of course the standing rigging.

1. Make sure it keeps floating.
2. Make sure the rig doesn't fall down.
3. Make sure the keel doesn't fall off.
4. Sail.
5. ???
6. Profit!
svjobeth likes this.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
The Following User Says Thank You to amwbox For This Useful Post:
Koukla (4 Weeks Ago)
post #7 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Enjoyed your response. The plan is to leave in four years. In the meantime, I spent all my money and more, so I have to enjoy it. Eventually, I will heed advice and pull plates. I will sail it in SF Bay and thereabouts to get my skills down and to see what falls apart. It is dry and solid thus far and manageable for me.
aeventyr60 likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

You might want to open the Search This Forum box, type in chainplates, and look at some of the past Pacific Seacraft threads on the subject. Among them is chainplate followup

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Irish Eyes to the Bahamas
post #9 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Daniel - Norsea 27

I replaced 9 chainplates from my boat. Not because I saw anything bad, but other owners of similar boats have and I wanted to make sure mine were good. When I went to remove the last one from the boat, it bent in my hand and cracked wide, at a point where only one bolt was essentially holding a stay to the boat.

Once off the boat, I bent it a little more and it broke. 1/4" thick piece of metal.

Here, you can see how bad it was, and there was no visible sign of failure before it was pulled.

Replace and have piece of mind. Better than having a failed rig while at sea.
aeventyr60 likes this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #10 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

The stainless steel typically used for chainplates has a 'severe' lower limit of fatigue endurance. Most 300 series stainless will have a fatigue endurance limit of 30% ultimate tensile strength ... UTS at about 90,000 psi. OR a Fatigue Strength at only 30,000 psi.
What this means is that if the chainplate is strained beyond/above 30% of UTS (loading to or greater than 30,000 psi), it will begin to rapidly fatigue; if kept below 30% UTS it will be virtually indestructible vs. 'fatigue'. If possible, always 'oversize' (thickness) when possible.

For the "blue water" typical design which (should) includes an inbuilt 3:1 Safety Factor ... historical 'scantlings' will show that NEW chainplates should have a high probability of successful service for ONE circumnavigation - about 25000+ sea miles.
For the typical 'coastal' design with a 2:1 inbuilt factor of safety - about 2/3 of ONE circumnavigation or 17000± sea miles, then a high probability of failure thereafter.
Fatigue Endurance limit for 300 series stainless is: 1,000,000 'load cycles' that exceeds 30% of Ultimate Tensile Strength .... on a blue water boat this load cycle max. occurs at ~40-45° angle of heel. On a 'coastal' design ... about a ~30° heel angle.
Even with new chainplates, once you accumulate 1 million load cycles at or above 30% UTS, there is a high probability of sudden catastrophic fatigue failure.

Crevice corrosion - an ADDITIONAL failure mode that WILL shorten the service life and reduce the load bearing value. Even when the stainless is being formed in the mill, micro-cracks will be formed. These cracks, plus cracks due to additive fatigue cracks will begin to form internal corrosion of the metal - thus an additional weakening and besides any simple accumulation of developing fatigue.

Suggestion for long distance sailing:
• For any boat with an unknown in-service life ... replace the damn chainplates.
• For any boat with chainplates over ~12 years old ... replace the damn chainplates.
• For any boat with chainplates - that have a 'designed' KINK or 'bend' in them ... replace at ~8-10 years.
• For any chainplates that have 'multiple' holes for bolting to knees, hull, etc. ... pull them off and inspect them for small/teeny cracks inside the bore holes that emanate perpendicularly from the axis of strain (looks like a 'smiley face' ... | -O- | ) replace immediately.
• Immediately replace any studs or bolts that have developed 'rusting', especially 'blackish'/dark rusting. Ditto, any chainplate that has developed 'zones' of black rusting. Ditto, for any polished chainplate that has developed a zone of noticeable 'dullness'.
• Inspect 'old' chainplate studs/bolts with a torque wrench ... torque to about 60-70% of the maximum torque value for the bolt or stud. If any 'break off' at or below ~60-70% torque value ... replace ALL of them for that 'station'.

Life extension of new chainplates.
• Suggest that you use 316 SS .... if you can afford it, get your 316 with "MILL SPECIFICATIONS" for 'chemicals and physicals' (so that you're 'sure' that you're not buying 'crap').
• POLISH the entire chainplate to a mirror-like surface. If you have the extra-$ available, then have the already mirror-polished chainplates - 'electro-polished'.

hope this helps.
amwbox likes this.

Last edited by RichH; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.