SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Thru-hulls for cockpit drains

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  elliowb 
#1 ·
All you PSC owners, have any of you tried to close the cockpit drain thru-hulls? On my PSC34, the engine start battery is amidships just behind the engine and the thru-hulls are just aft (and outboard of course) of the battery. Damn little space, especially if there is an emergency. I got to thinking about this because in the course of replacing the engine start battery, I noticed that one of the cockpit drain hoses looks like it needs some attention. I plan on fixing that, but ...

If ever one needed to close those thru-hulls, I don't think I could get to it in a reasonable length of time. It would require removing the cockpit floor over the engine and then crawling in the space and reaching over the battery. Very tough.

Has anyone considered putting an access hatch just aft of the pedestal steering? Two problems that I can foresee, one is that there isn't that much space there (about a 12x12" port is about all that could be fit) and it would still require some acrobatics to reach down into the space. Two, it would need to be solid enough to be regular stood on by the helmsman (I'm wondering if putting in a cockpit grate might reduce that problem, on top of the access port).

#2 ·
elliowb, my drain valves would be virtually impossible to reach, especially in an emergency. I put an access port in the aft end of the quarter berth. There is not much room there for the port and it is small, but it is now at least possible to reach the shutoffs, but still challenging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.