SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

am I the only person who wants shades/curtains?

7K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 ·
I know I've posted a previous thread about curtains/shades for the portlights, and thanks to those who responded with ideas. Truth is, I've never needed to sleep aboard since I live very close to my marina, so figuring out a solution for window shades was not high on the project priority list. That has changed, as I'm planning a multi-day trip for later this summer, so it has moved to near top of the to-do list. I need something to effectively block the orange sodium lamp light streaming in from the dock lights at night so I can get some sleep!

I've looked at quite a few different varieties of shades and curtains, but none so far seem to viable options (other than custom solution) because none that I have found will fit over the two dogs on bottom of each portlight.

I contacted Pacific Seacraft and asked what sort of shades/curtains are installed on new boats they are building, but the response I got implied that they don't put them in their new boats at all. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person who would want shades, but it certainly seems that way.

One idea I have is to have rectangular covers made using the same Sunbrella canvas that my dodger/bimini are made of, with velcro strips sewn at top and bottom, and placing adhesive velcro strips above and below the portlights to stick them to (with cut-outs for the dogs to fit into so the fabric can be stretched tight across the glass). I'm not sure it would look very nice though. Worse come to worse, I know I could the two ports in the forward cabin with sail bags or something, but that isn't a long-term solution.

If anyone would like to respond and include of photo of curtains/shades you have on your boat, that would be very helpful!

See less See more
#3 ·
I would suggest you go online and check out just plain old curtain hanging systems. There are an infinite variety available that would be much cheaper than custom made individual covers. Then you just need some cloth with the whatever they are called that run in the track, sewed in. Very easy and inexpensive.
Pictured are ours.

Attachments

#6 ·
X....Then you just need some cloth with the whatever they are called that run in the track, sewed in. Very easy and inexpensive.
Pictured are ours.
Good on ya - You used the correct marine term: whatevers
Yes, this wheel has be invented and reinvented many times.

Years ago, bead curtains with some incense was pretty cool...:)
But...they tend to sway on a boat...

#5 ·

One idea I have is to have rectangular covers made using the same Sunbrella canvas that my dodger/bimini are made of, with velcro strips sewn at top and bottom, and placing adhesive velcro strips above and below the portlights to stick them to (with cut-outs for the dogs to fit into so the fabric can be stretched tight across the glass). I'm not sure it would look very nice though. .....
My wife must have dark at night, and she has done what you've suggested above with dark material (not Sunbrella, but similar) and velcro tabs to cover an aft cabin cockpit portlight and a small deck prism above our berth.

Not terribly nice to look at but they are stowed during the day and only in the aft cabin.

We have dark smoked plexi ports in the main cabin, of course they offer no privacy at night so we have curtains there, using a pretty nice system sold by Sailrite.

Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969

#7 ·
We used "Peek-a-Boo" blinds made by Zarcor on JUNO, our Pacific Seacraft 40, during the years we owned her and cruised. They fit inside the port's trim ring (so there's no issue with the dogs) and attach to the glass using small Velcro dots. You have the option of sliding them open or closed or simply removing them completely from the port. There's a pretty neat little gif at the Zarcor website that demonstrates how the operate. I tried to upload it, but I'm not sure it worked. If not, here's a link: CloZures privacy shutters for sailboat portlights and hatches.

The company had templates for a lot of boats on file and we found them easy to work with.

Not sure that's what you're looking for, but they worked for us...

Fair winds,

Roger Lopata

Attachments

#8 ·
My boat came with curtains. Then I was on a boat that had taken them down, and it felt roomier inside. My curtains are now stored securely in a bag at home. We have external covers that we sometimes use (they also protect the windows and keep the heat out), and we have a shade for the head.

#9 ·
We have used the same system on most of cruising boats we have owned. Simple and cheap were the specs! We have 4 S/S cup hooks on each window with stretch type curtain wire fitted top and bottom. Curtains have a hem top and bottom are ruffled and made from a sheer type fabric that cuts visibility through windows yet still allows light in to keep boat bright.

#10 · (Edited)
Do a search for blackout fabric.
We made a rectangle with velcro for our V berth hatch and two side portlights.

Or get a BB gun for that lamp.
JUST KIDDING ! (sort of)

Edit: We used neodymium magnets for our main portlights (aluminum extrusions on the inside and outside of the hull)
We installed long skinny magnets behind the inner extrusions and sewed in magnets in the covers as well.
They matched up by installing the magnets behind the aluminum AFTER making the covers.
Hot glue is your friend.
We just toss the covers on the portlights and they stick THROUGH the aluminum.

#13 ·
Edit: We used neodymium magnets for our main portlights (aluminum extrusions on the inside and outside of the hull)
We installed long skinny magnets behind the inner extrusions and sewed in magnets in the covers as well.
They matched up by installing the magnets behind the aluminum AFTER making the covers.
How do those magnets affect your compass? I always cringe when people talk of using magnets on boats. But then, being old school, I still use my compass ;)

#11 ·
I know I've posted a previous thread about curtains/shades for the portlights, and thanks to those who responded with ideas. Truth is, I've never needed to sleep aboard since I live very close to my marina, so figuring out a solution for window shades was not high on the project priority list. That has changed, as I'm planning a multi-day trip for later this summer, so it has moved to near top of the to-do list. I need something to effectively block the orange sodium lamp light streaming in from the dock lights at night so I can get some sleep!

I've looked at quite a few different varieties of shades and curtains, but none so far seem to viable options (other than custom solution) because none that I have found will fit over the two dogs on bottom of each portlight.

I contacted Pacific Seacraft and asked what sort of shades/curtains are installed on new boats they are building, but the response I got implied that they don't put them in their new boats at all. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person who would want shades, but it certainly seems that way.

One idea I have is to have rectangular covers made using the same Sunbrella canvas that my dodger/bimini are made of, with velcro strips sewn at top and bottom, and placing adhesive velcro strips above and below the portlights to stick them to (with cut-outs for the dogs to fit into so the fabric can be stretched tight across the glass). I'm not sure it would look very nice though. Worse come to worse, I know I could the two ports in the forward cabin with sail bags or something, but that isn't a long-term solution.

If anyone would like to respond and include of photo of curtains/shades you have on your boat, that would be very helpful!
There is an earlier thread... http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/211217-shades-old-style-port-lights-ps-34-a.html

#12 ·
On the last boat we made cheap sewn curtains pulled tight out of wee-eater string and electrical crimp eyes.. The stretch was just right. I try to look into my Boat now and even if you can see something you have to stare pretty creepily to make anything out. If you really need them you will find a way.

#16 ·
Hi, we have a 1987 with the bronze oval.
We made fabric covers with elastic (think shower cap) with dark blue nautical cloth.
To start we made two cardboard templates, one for the large and one for the small portlights.
Cut the material larger then the template, folded the edge and sewed in elastic.
They fit nicely and when not used we roll them up and use clothes pins to attach to each portlight.
Sorry we do not have any photos.

#19 ·
I had some plexiglas cut at the local plastic store, TapPlastic. They perfectly match the shape of the ports with radiused corners. The cost was minimal, I think the cutting charge was $1 each. I attach them to the port frames with sticky backed velcro and it works great, but after a three or four years, the velcro needs to be replaced on some of the frames. They are simple to put up and remove and, when they aren't in use, they are nice and flat and take up minimal storage space. The only down side is the appearance of the velcro on the frames.

#24 ·
Well sometimes popcorn is good with the movie!

We just finished pulling the trigger on coverings that someone else had mentioned earlier. They are not cheap but my they are the solution we sought. Zarcor, Closures. Nifty concept, multiple colors (we got the coffee colored but are white on outside) as they provide a darkening effect when closed and look great with the teak cabin sides. They can't collect mildew, easy to open or remove and most importantly attach to the ports so they do not hinder opening them. Great company to deal with. They will send free samples.

Again kinda pricey popcorn but we are pleased.

#25 ·
A non-boater friend of mine suggested cutting dark-colored felt fabric into shape of the ports and simply place them between the exterior screen and the glass at night and open the port and remove them in the the morning. I'd probably use Sunbrella canvas instead of felt, but the idea seems sound.

#27 ·
This is essentially what we did on JO BETH, our PS 34. Instead of using felt, we found some black foam pads at a Michael's store and cut them to shape. The thickness and rigidity of the material allows them to be pressed into place on the inside of the frame. They come in square pieces, with one piece needed per small portlight. The cost was about .50/each, if memory is correct. For the larger portlights, we ordered larger sheets of the same material via Amazon.

#28 ·
all of my boats came with curtains. hated em. they attract dust and grease. ok no mas. uninstallation was easy. when i want a cover over the port for a reason like too bright, i put a towel over that port or "window" for the duration of ultrabright lighting issues.
my favorite window solution was stained glass panes installed into the islander larger portlights--beautiful and functional. they were the inner of two panes., outer pane was the manufacturers pane, the inner one was stained glass. worked well for insulation and shade and privacy.
now my formosa windows are crazed plexi with fishing net inside and home depot garden screening outside. works for me.
if i really crave darkness i can make a blocker for inside the round portholes to keep out sunshine.

#30 ·
Back from my trip... never did get around to trying to make shades for the ports. Turns out I really didn't need them as much as I thought I would. The one night where outside lights were really shining in, I put a sail bag against each port in the v-berth and a cover over the hatch. No problem!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.