Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007

Mortimer49735 is on a distinguished road
Janet and I are respectively 58 and 60. We sail Yabba-Dabba-Doo, a PSC 31, on Lake Charlevoix and Lake Michigan. We plan on visiting all the Great Lakes when Janet retires in 19 months. If you see us sailing don't be afraid to hail us.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2009

kquist is on a distinguished road
My husband is 63 and I am 50. We are buying our first sailboat and we are planning on enjoying his retirement. Age is just a number as long as you are proactive with your health, diet and exercise. We decided to do this after taking sailing lessons and I saw the look of contentment on his face. We don't want to have regrets at the end of our lives and too many people get hung up on age. Go out there and enjoy yourselves now while you are able... You only get one short walk around this block of life. Make it a good one.
Old 07-28-2009

jubliado61 is on a distinguished road
We have PSC 31 26 in Florida. I am nearly 63. My spouse is 57. Last year we brought the boat from Galveston Bay to the Florida Pan handle via the Gulf ICW. From there we made our way off shore to the keys and then thru the Bahamas as far as Georgetown in the Exumas before returning the vessel to east coast of Fla . We were aboard three months on that cruise.

Ed & Patty PSC 31 # 26 "Patty Ann"

Last edited by jubliado61; 07-30-2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-29-2009

unomio is on a distinguished road
We are 67 and 63 and although we feel great today, it takes quite a few meds to keep us that way. Our biggest "senior" issue is how to get our medications when we cruise outside the US. Our insurance will help to pay for foreign meds--70% of "reasonable" charge for the location--but we must have a local doctor's prescription in the local language, filled by a local pharmacy. This means matching our meds (all but one are generic, so hopefully this will be helpful) and communicating with a foreign doctor in a language in which we are not fluent. It may mean traveling to bigger cities in order to find doctors/pharmacies that can help. It might even mean flying back to the US every few months in order to get refills (you can't ship drugs across international borders). And oh, yeah--we have to pay for the meds up front and the insurance will (eventually) reimburse us for their portion of the cost. Current total costs for our (mostly generic) meds in the US would be around $1000/month--in the US the insurance pays 80%.

Currently our cruising plans center around being in Hawai'i when we will need refills, then in Guam, and after that possibly flying back to the US both for meds and for full health checks on our various conditions.

My meds give me some balance problems, and Bob's have other side effects. We may need to consider looking for volunteer crew on ocean passages--crew with real bluewater sailing and navigation skills in case one of us is incapacitated.

It also means facing the real possibility that one of us may be coming back from cruising alone, another thing we'd rather not think about.

Still, the alternative is not to go, which is not an alternative at all. One day at a time, we'll get as far as we can.

Sue
Old 07-30-2009

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
This is a Great Thread. My wife and I (both 60) just returned from a week cruising with my step-father, age 80. He got cranky if we said "Here, let me do that" so we quickly learned. He may have gotten in that 150 Genoa a bit slower than I but he did everything on the boat that I usually do plus taught us how to use the traveler more effectively! I was impressed and inspired. He works out at the gym most days which he thinks is a big part of the reason he can still solo-sail his 27' boat which he does year-round in Florida. So I guess I would echo the comment that staying active seems one key to staying able to keep on going. I hope we can do as well!

Jay
PSC 37, # 171, Kenlanu
Old 07-31-2009

unomio is on a distinguished road
So, do any of you senior sailors have any experience with obtaining medications in foreign countries?

Sue
Old 07-31-2009

niftynickers is on a distinguished road
Cruisers age

My wife(66) and I (69) have been cruising for 5 years on our PS Crealock 37 Niftynickers.We cruise the Atlantic coast from Maine to The Bahamas with the seasons.We have just returned from the Bahamas and are presently in Newport RI on our way east .
This winter we will be putting the boat on the hard for some much needed maintenance which we will do ourselves and try to replenish the cruising kitty then we,ll be off again next summer to New England and south in the fall ,probably to the Keys.
As long as our health remains good we'll continue to cruise,cautiously.

Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139