Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2007

Philip Littman is on a distinguished road
Age and cruising.

I am 66 and my wife is 63. We are both in good health and in good shape. We have been sailing for about six years. Last year we sailed our PSC 34 to Turks and Caicos. How old are the older cruisers out there and where do they cruise? What are their concerns?
Phil Littman PSC317
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2007

engcon is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Age and Crusing

Phil,
My wife and I are in the senior category. I am 71 and she is 60. We recently bought a 40' Endeavour and will be crusing in it next year when I finally retire. It will be interesting to see the responses that your post generates. We'll be watching and reading.
Old 04-01-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Guys...I'm just a young whippersnapper still dreaming of social security checks and medicare (7 years to go!) <g> but we personally have met a lot of folks in tbeir 60's and 70's in our cruising including some circumnavigators. In fact...I'd say there are more "medicare" cruisers out there than people under 35.
I think the big deal as you get older is your health and fitness rather than your age. Concurrently...the biggest concern for cruisers with health issues is treatment availability and quality and cost, drug supplies, emergencies and spouses worrying what happens to them if the other keels over while at sea. On the other hand...just surviving to age 65 and being in a position to go cruising makes older cruisers rather special and bodes well for their sucess since they are generally prudent sailors.
Certainly also a loss of strength/agility as one ages converts many an older sailor to a trawler person. That's why I count trawler people as sailors!! I really do think that most trawler owners have the same approach to cruising as sailors.
Anyway...that's my opinion. Maybe I'll feel differently in a few years!! What do you guys think?
Old 04-01-2007
Senior Moment

RickBowman is an unknown quantity at this point
It gives me that "ceremonial chill" as the self proclaimed boating buceneer Wallace use to proclaim on his weekly radio boat show, to read this great thread. The mystery of the sea may cast a spell at any age, social condition, or economic class. It matters not as to the size of the vessel for all have the same view on the water. I have met some of the most humble and honorable sailors that are in the "Greatest Generation" on the Great Lakes, especially in the United States Sail and Power Squadrons. I am indebted for their willingness to share knowledge and first hand experience. Thank you Mr. Littman for this interesting thread.
Old 04-01-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
Sir,

I am in my mid-fourties and in denial. Near Ottawa, where I normally live, our local ski hill has a corner reserved for 60+, 70+ and 80+. The section is full! I hope to have the physical and mental abilities to join the likes of this group in such activities!

On top of that, I can think of no greater joy than undertaking such activities with your partner in life! How wonderful and special!

I've heard it many times...todays 60's are yesterday's 50s (or even 40s)...and so on. I believe it.

By the way, there is a charming couple, here in Guyana of all places, that were liveaboards until very recently (they built a house on the river). The boat is anchored off shore. They were on a long term cruise and "settled" here. If I'm not mistaken he is in his late 70s and she is in her early 60s.

My wife is an MD, and she treats many seniors. Anecdotally, she tells me that active adults, no matter what the age, have fewer chronic illnesses than younger inactive adults. They also heal faster!

Good luck with your adventures. Many have preceeded you..and many will also follow!

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Old 05-21-2007

ncMariner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBowman
It gives me that "ceremonial chill" as the self proclaimed boating buceneer Wallace use to proclaim on his weekly radio boat show, to read this great thread. The mystery of the sea may cast a spell at any age, social condition, or economic class. It matters not as to the size of the vessel for all have the same view on the water. I have met some of the most humble and honorable sailors that are in the "Greatest Generation" on the Great Lakes, especially in the United States Sail and Power Squadrons. I am indebted for their willingness to share knowledge and first hand experience. Thank you Mr. Littman for this interesting thread.

Here here and well put !
Old 05-22-2007

teejayevans is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waymar83
Sir,
By the way, there is a charming couple, here in Guyana of all places, that were liveaboards until very recently (they built a house on the river). The boat is anchored off shore. They were on a long term cruise and "settled" here. If I'm not mistaken he is in his late 70s and she is in her early 60s.
Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread...but
I haven't heard anything about Guyana as a cruising destination, care to
share you thoughts on the subject??
Tom
Cielo Azul
Old 08-19-2007

Antiquesailor is on a distinguished road
Antique Sailor's story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Littman View Post
I am 66 and my wife is 63. We are both in good health and in good shape. We have been sailing for about six years. Last year we sailed our PSC 34 to Turks and Caicos. How old are the older cruisers out there and where do they cruise? What are their concerns?
Phil Littman PSC317
Hello Phil,
At the age of 60 I sailed my little PSC Dana singlehanded across the Pacific Ocean. At 65, in New Zealand, I married and we sailed our PSC 34 together across the Indian and Atlantic Oceans. Finally moved to land at the age of 71 due to husband's injuries. I have a blog as antiquesailor if you want more info.
Mary
Old 08-19-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I have to echo Ricks thoughts. Having just turned 58, and being in good health, I fully expect to spend at least another 12 years cruising. Mostly though, I don't worry about anything beyond the next anchorage. I will keep at it until I am unable, or I tire of it.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread...but
I haven't heard anything about Guyana as a cruising destination, care to
share you thoughts on the subject??
Tom
Cielo Azul
Sorry Tom I just saw your post . PM me or we can start a very short thread on cruising Guyana. To put it bluntly, its about a 4-6 day sail from Trinidad to the "Essequibo", which is a beautiful and large river. If you are into the Amazon kind of experience, this is it!

When in Canada, I sail Lake Ontario and the Thousand Islands. It reminds me of the Islands (except that its like that 365 days a year).

If you read the thread PM me.

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia