SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Gudgeon

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  DaveMancini 
#1 · (Edited)
The owners manual says that the rudder gudgeon needs to be regreased with a waterproof axle grease. Has anyone done this, and if so, how did you do it. Do I need to support the rudder, remove the gudgeon, grease it and then reinstall it or is there an easier way?
The gudgeon came off and went back to the shop for a good wire wheeling and inspection. After all of the bottom paint was removed from it and the bearing surface cleaned up it appears to be in fine shape. Not sure why there isn't a grease zirk installed in the gudgeon as this would make the maintenance much easier. Not sure why the owners manual says to regrease it as the wear is quite minimal.

I went on and drilled and taped for 1/4 x 28 zirk fitting. Then pluged it with a brass plug as the regrease this year was done before the gudgeon was reinstalled. All back togeather, no problem. In late May there will be a new bottom coat but not on the gudgeon this time.

See less See more
#5 ·
DaveMancini said:
Rick,

Good picture. Nice to see the gudgeon in such good shape. How were the bolts? Hold old is your boat, and is it in the water year round?

Dave
Dave,

Bolts were in pretty good condition. They are silicone bronze and were bedded thru the strut very well. It's a 97 and for the past 6 years sits inside during the winter and I don't know before that as it was in the Annapolis area as far as I know.

Rick

#7 ·
No doubt that you could drill another hole through the new zinc to acquire the same bolt pattern as the original zinc. This stuff can be agrivating, can't it? That's a problem with mail order, often times not all the information is available online. However West Marine does have an available technical staff. It's your opinion here as to drill another hole you are wasting zinc, but to send the new zinc back to West Marine you will probably pay way more in postage than the zinc that you waste that will be drilled out of the anode to secure a proper attachment.
Defender is a good company but they can also be agrivating at times. I have sucessfully used one mail order company against another to obtain lower prices on major items, but that takes perserveance and patience, but can save major boat bucks.

#8 ·
Hi all. I am a new owner of a 1988 PS34. Love being part of the community. I am looking the replace the bolts holding the gudgeon to the skeg. I have found they are of a silicone bronze, is this correct? I am yet to draw the bolts and was wondering whether anyone knew the bolt dimensions? This would enable me to source replacements prior to removal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.