Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2007

rsford is on a distinguished road
reduced exhaust water

Any ideas about cleaning out the Yanmar diesel heat exchanger on a PSC 37? When the engine is running, seawater still come out the exhust, but it's a lot smaller volume than formerly. I've cleaned out the thru-hull for the seawater intake as well as the seawater strainer. With the seawater pump cover off and the intake line open, seawater flows out freely at the open pump. I've also replaced the seawater pump impeller even though the old one looked fine.

I'm concerned that, despite the above actions, the volume of exhaust water remains diminished, even though the engine has not yet over- heated. In case marine growth built up during a period of disuse, I've wondered about pumping Liquid Plummer into the seawater inlet of the exhanger for a little while and then flushing it out. Removing the heat exhanger looks like rather serious engine work to me, so I was hoping for a simpler fix. Thanks.

Bob Ford
s/v Talos IV, 1995 PSC 37 #306
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
First step is making sure you have full flow of water between the through hull and the perko filter. Often barnacles, kelp, plastic can restrict water flow. Liquid plumber won't help...but often a dive overboard with a long screwdriver and/or coathanger can dislodge whatever is restricting the flow.
If that is not the problem...and you think the impeller is good...check the flow by removing the connecting hose for a few seconds with the engine running. If that check out...it is on to the heat exchanger I'm afraid but it is NOT that difficult a job. Alternatively to removing the exchanger if you are pretty sure the blockage is NOT a piece of impeller...is to use muriatic acid solution at the engine intake and let it run through until you see it coming out the exhaust...let it sit for a few minutes and then flush it thorugh by running the engine normally. That will often clear the pipes. Otherwise they need to be reamed out physically.
Good luck.
Old 07-27-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Discharge of which upon the navigable waters of the US will earn you a $10,000 fine. But it will probably work.(g)
Old 07-27-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
There also could be a blockage in the exhaust elbow. Need to remove and clean that if you have no idea when it was last done. I'd check that before I'd check the heat exchanger.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 08-07-2007

rsford is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the suggestions.