SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   PS News (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/38352-ps-news.html)

RickBowman 11-09-2007 07:04 AM

PS News

edited out

AjariBonten 11-09-2007 07:09 AM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh My Frikkin WORD!!!!!!!!

He paid $85,000 for the entire company!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Brodie spent $85,000 at the auction to buy the company name, boat molds, tools and five sailboat hulls.
I wanna cry, :(

Talk about an opportunity!

BaliBlue 11-20-2007 07:55 AM

We are one of PSC's creditors!

We bought our Pacific Seacraft 40 in April 2003. It was delivered to England with a liturgy of problems neccesitating refunds from PSC and warranty claims, all of which were accepted by Don Kohlmann, the MD at the time. Despite making contact to the various management teams since put in place, all we received were promises and "financial difficulties" mooted as an excuse for the delay in reimbursing us.

In 2005, we wrote to yachting press in the UK and US advising that they warn prospective buyers to investigate a builders financial position before making a committment; and at the very least to ensure they purchase the hull to ensure ownership in case of insolvency. None did this, although we were put directly in contact with Nigel Calder and suggested he include a section on due dilligence in his articles on his Malo build. I can therefore empathise with the concerns of buyers whose hulls were transferred to the new owner at a fraction of the amount they have paid to date!

We have just ended our sailing season and had booked flights to California to confront PSC personally - unaware of recent developments. We will still make the journey and if anyone can provide more information on whom to contact regarding creditor's claims, we would be most grateful.

On a positive note - over the summers since 2003 we have sailed Bali Blue 5000nms from England around the northern countries of the Med and she is now overwintering in Cyprus, where we live. She is beautiful to sail and live in and although better suited to Blue Water cruising, she has seen us safely through the sharp seas and various winds of the Med and commands a lot of attention wherever we go.

JohnRPollard 11-20-2007 12:02 PM

Peter and Carol,

As a fellow PSC owner, I am very sorry to hear of the difficulties you experienced with warranty issues on your boat. The former MD, Don Kohlmann, departed the company three or so years ago when some new owners took over. It sounds like your warranty claim difficulties coincide with his departure and their arrival. Many owners experienced a serious decline in customer service at that same time. Not surprisingly, it was under those new owners that the company was eventually forced into bankruptcy and subsequently auctioned. You are absoluteley right about the importance of doing due diligence prior to placing an order on a new boat -- and I commend you for taking your bad experience and trying to help others by sharing what you learned.

Unfortunately, I do not see any point in flying to California to demand satisfaction. The company that was there is GONE. All the ASSETS (but not the liabilities) were sold at bankruptcy auction, and subsequently moved to North Carolina, where different owners have incorporated anew with the hope of reviving the brand. Whether you have any further legal recourse for your warranty claims is a question for an attorney. But I'm fairly confident that the new owners have no financial obligation to you and that your claims should go to the bankruptcy trustee. Note how little they got for the assets at auction -- I doubt there's much to share given the number of creditors.

That is not to say that the new owners might not be sympathetic to your predicament.

Best of luck to you, and if you would like to confer with a broader group of Pacific Seacraft owners including many PSC 40 owners, I would encourage you to join Sailnet's PSC e-mail list-serve, found here:

http://list.sailnet.net/read/?forum=pacificseacraft

- John Pollard

niko 11-21-2007 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRPollard (Post 225662)
Not surprisingly, it was under those new owners that the company was eventually forced into bankruptcy and subsequently auctioned.
- John Pollard

Speaking of those unspeakable owners, does anyone know whatever happened to Saga???

Someone buy those moulds too?

Just curious

snider 11-26-2007 10:22 AM

Low Overhead!

Talk about no overhead! The guy sells a couple new boats and he's already in the black. I wonder how this will affect the purchase price of new and used boats?

I have been looking at the 34 for years now and would never be able to afford a new boat, and if I could why buy new when I could get a 80's model for a fraction of the cost. I prefer a tiller steered deep draft cutter anyway.

I'd love to see A no frills bare bones winches on the mast no electronics version of the 34 for a discounted price. I think the new boats were well overpriced.
Maybe this would be a good time to upgrade the mold a little. I myself prefer the current canoe stern 34, but it would be nice to see a little lighter version with a more modern sten, and a little more sail area. Get the DLWL to 280-300 by extending the waterline a little.

I can't wait to see some more news and would like to go see the new plant and operation. GoodLuck PSC. Brandon