Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Flicka Production

Any chance of the Flicka going back into production? It seems there are very limited choices when one is searching for a true bluewater pocket cruiser. Who owns the productions rights to the Flicka? Can we make a business case to start production again?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Any chance of the Flicka going back into production? It seems there are very limited choices when one is searching for a true bluewater pocket cruiser. Who owns the productions rights to the Flicka? Can we make a business case to start production again?
Kwalt,

PSC owns the Flicka moulds (although there may be others). After a several year hiatus, PSC reintroduced the Flicka back around Y2K or so. Unfortunately, perhaps due to the small price spread with the Dana 24, no new Flickas were ordered. Apparently, there are enough of them extant to satisfy the current demand. I believe PSC built upwards of 400, many of them still in excellent condition.

I suppose it's conceivable the new owners would look at Flicka production again, but I very much doubt it. The reality is there's very little -- if any -- money to be made in super high quality 20-foot bluewater production boats.

I really love the Flicka design. But, having been aboard the Flicka many times, and having owned a Dana for a number of years, my sense is that most folks with the kind of money it takes to purchase either boat new will opt for the Dana. It is the difference between a micro/pocket cruiser and a tidy little ship -- and worth the modest price spread in my mind. Now a used Flicka is another story...

Maybe there's a sideline buisness of selling Flicka hul/deck kits. It's certainly a size of boat where a home builder might realistically expect to complete the project during this millenium.
Old 12-15-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
John...do you mean the NEW PSC in North Carolina that bought the OLD PSC assets at auction a month or two ago has the Flicka molds and transported them to the East Coast? I did not hear that...I thought they were sold elsewhere before the bankruptcy but I could be wrong. Do you have a source for that info?

EDIT: John...you are right...here's a link...see post #16 from a PSC dealer...apparently there is hope if there is enough interest! http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rupt-8460.html
Old 12-15-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
John...do you mean the NEW PSC in North Carolina that bought the OLD PSC assets at auction a month or two ago has the Flicka molds and transported them to the East Coast? I did not hear that...I thought they were sold elsewhere before the bankruptcy but I could be wrong. Do you have a source for that info?
I know Dana was sold to Cape George before the auction, but I am unsure of Flicka. As far as the used market goes, the price spread between Flicka and Dana are pretty drastic. You also have to take into account that not all Flickas are the same. Some Flickas are pre-PSC, some have a "real" head, some have different rigs, some are even ferro-cement. Dana is about the same any way you cut it, with the exception of a few factory options. Moral being there may be a very good reason for that big price difference in the used market.

As far as new goes, I think i had heard that PSC just couldn't fill enough orders to keep Flicka in regular production. They had offered her back a few times under the condition that there would be 5 orders lined up before they would start production back up, but I don't think those 5 required orders where placed. They reasoned that the cost of production was too high to just put out one or two per year to continue.
Old 12-16-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Cam, I didn't check the link, but I do know the Flicka moulds were included in the auction and went to NC.

Sapper, You're right about Dana, it was sold away prior to bankruptcy -- what a shame. But, actually, it did not go to Cape George. A small group in Seattle bought it, and hopes to offer it in the coming year for sale (I've had some correspondence with that operation and they seem to have a good deal of enthusiasm and knowledge). The confusion with Cape George arises because at about the same time the Dana was sold away, another venerable builder (Samuel L. Morse) shut down and sold the tooiling for the Bristol Channel Cutter and Falmouth Channel Cutter to CGM.
Old 12-16-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
John...yup...it was the Dana I must have been thinking of!
Old 12-16-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Cam, I didn't check the link, but I do know the Flicka moulds were included in the auction and went to NC.

Sapper, You're right about Dana, it was sold away prior to bankruptcy -- what a shame. But, actually, it did not go to Cape George. A small group in Seattle bought it, and hopes to offer it in the coming year for sale (I've had some correspondence with that operation and they seem to have a good deal of enthusiasm and knowledge). The confusion with Cape George arises because at about the same time the Dana was sold away, another venerable builder (Samuel L. Morse) shut down and sold the tooiling for the Bristol Channel Cutter and Falmouth Channel Cutter to CGM.
I knew the BCC and FCC both went Cape George, but I could have sworn that Dana did as well. Now that you mention it though I'll go back through the Yahoo Dana group and see where I got that bad info from.... maybe my memory just sucks.
Old 12-16-2007

Sapper,

The group that bought the Dana is called Seacraft Yacht Sales, out of Seattle. They are a longtime PSC dealer, and Najad too I think. I don't know where they plan to build the boat. Maybe they intend to subcontract? With CGM? Let me know what you find out...
Old 12-17-2007

Shoaldrafter is on a distinguished road
Flicka

The gossip on the internet is that the rights to the Flicka were sold to a company in the Pacific Northwest before the liquidation of Pacific Seacraft.

Ed K
Old 12-18-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
According to several online sources, Steven Brodie (new PSC owner) purchased either 5 or 6 molds. I've also read that the boats are from 31' and he plans to produce them from 31' up into the 40's. We know the Dana is elsewhere. But I still can't track down who owns the rights to Flicka (or Orion). Anybody know how to contact Brodie directly? I don't have the cash flow to purchase a new Flicka, but I would like to speak with whoever owns the rights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.