Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
Question Pumping out the Ice Box on a Orion 27

Hi Everyone:
My 1980 Orion 27 didn't come with a manual pump on the drain of the ice box to pump out any moisture or fluid spills. All I have is a moderately sized red hose that runs from under the ice box and end under the sink in the galley and supposedly drains to the bilge. I have seen pictures of other Orion 27s with various foot pumps under the sink door that are either for fresh water to the sink, or possibly to drain the ice box. Does any Orion 27 owner out there have the ice box drain pump installed on their sailboat and would be willing to share a picture of the installation or recommend a pump to do the job?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2008

jknight611 is on a distinguished road
Ice Box Pump

You know how bad spoiled milk smells in the bilge? My Orion hull #33 had the same red hose to the bilge sump and I have a small sump in a tupperware box and a very small electric pump. I used a 3/4 hose with a very small Rule pump/switch. It is wedged fwd in the bilge. Because it is a occasional pump it has a "T" and a check valve to another small Rule pump/swith in the bottom of the bilge sump to evacuate that last splash of water that the big pump can't seem to get up. I am probally very near to your boat by s/n so it would be doable on your boat for < $50.

Jay
Orion #33
Old 07-23-2008

Ice Box Pump Idea

Thanks for the input. I guess I could rig up a container under the galley sink where the red hose just terminates, with a small electric pump and run a hose to the sink via a small faucet type fixture. That way I just pump any spills or fluids to the sink and then out the drain. I guess I can terminate the red hose to a manual foot pump as well, or hand pump also. I have seen pictures on the web of later generation PSC boats that apparently have a pump installation, and was hoping to get a picture of that, but your idea sounds very good. Do you know if there is access to the bottom of the ice box if I ever have to replace the red hose? I haven't found it yet if it exists. The only thing I have found is a round cut out hole under the sink where the hose runs through but no ice box access. Would hate to develop a leak at the ice box fitting and not be able to get at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California
Old 07-24-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
LittleWing,

I can't recommend the best approach for a icebox drain pump, but I just wanted to comment that when you see a foot pump in the vicinity of the galley sink, it usually is for fresh water (sometimes for salt water). I've been aboard many dozens of PSC boats, including quite a few Orions, and never seen the icebox plumbed with a footpump. I'm not saying "never", but it would be uncommon in my experience.

I do agree it would be wise to keep the icebox liquids out of the bilge, no matter how you do it!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 07-24-2008

I was starting to think all the Orions just drained to the bilge, then another PSC Flicka owner sent me an electronic copy of the Orion 27 sales brochure that he had from the 1980's that mentioned it being a standard item. I have heard of people using manual foot pumps for fresh water or salt water supply to the galley sink to save battery power while underway by not driving a pump. I assume most of the pictures I have seen are for that purpose, but I thought I would see if anyone out there might actually have a boat configured with the ice box drain pump as mentioned in the brochure.

One solution might be to use one of those hand held oil change pumps to do the job when needed, with it being clipped to the inside of the storage space under the sink until required.

LittleWingCA
Old 07-24-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWingCA View Post

One solution might be to use one of those hand held oil change pumps to do the job when needed, with it being clipped to the inside of the storage space under the sink until required.
Our current boat has a separate dedicated electric pump for the icebox/fridge, but our previous Dana 24 was plumbed exactly as you described above. It was hard-mounted under the sink, with all plumbing attached, and we just opened the cabinet door and hand-pumped from right there.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 07-25-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Do you have an "A" or "C" plan? I have a "C" with the icebox just inside the companionway where the nav station is on an "A".

Being that the icebox is next to the engine compartment on a "C" plan, the drain line is plumbed inside the engine compartment. I flip up the top step where the drain plumbing terminates. I have a jabsco hand pump that connects to the ice box drain line, and just hand pump it into the cockpit.

This is the jabsco pump i use:

I also have two foot pumps, one fresh and one sea water. If i wanted to, i would plumb a "T" and a ball valve into the suction side of the sea water pump. Then to drain the box, just shut the sea water seacock, open the drain valve and pump. I would not plumb to my fresh water pump though because that might contaminate the fresh water supply with rotten nasties from the icebox.

I'll take some pics and post them soon.

Last edited by Sapperwhite; 07-25-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2008

Sapperwhite:

I have the "A" plan with the navigation station just inside the companionway. My icebox is next to the hanging locker.

LittleWingCA