Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008

discoverer37 is on a distinguished road
Wind vane self steering

I would like to add a wind vane self steering unit and like the look of the Cape Horn model. Anyone have any experience of this unit?

Paul
C37 #135
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2008

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
Dear Paul, I had a Cape Horn unit on my last boat (Pearson Vanguard) and LOVED it. The engineering is superb with a very clean installation. Drilling that honking big hole takes some guts but once I did it the rest of the installation was done in about a day. I recently spoke with Yves Gelinas, the inventor and manufacturer who reports that he did the installation on a PSC 37 recently and that it was "sweet" and no problem.

If anyone else is interested it is possible to get a group together for a discount. I got four people together from the vanguard group and got a significant discount.

Shall we try to get a group order together?

Jay

PSC 37 # 171

Last edited by BirdBrain333; 11-08-2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: clicked wrong button!
Old 11-08-2008

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Before you commit to a Cape Horn or similar windvane, check out a Hydrovane. Not a cheap windvane, but to me cost isn't the deciding factor on this type of equipment.
Old 11-09-2008
"OLD SALT"

easygoing is on a distinguished road
I also had a Cape Horn windvane on my last boat Alberg 30'. I sailed for 18 mo. in the Crib. strong and light air held course. I've sold my Alberg and now have a 38' Hughes witch I am outfitting to cruise again. I will have a Cape Horn again. You get more for your money with Cape Horn system then other wind vanes. BirdBrain I am interested in your offer. Put me down in your group. Let me know what type of discount is offered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Bill"
S/V "Silly Bette"
1968 38' Hughes
Old 11-10-2008

discoverer37 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the feedback, it's very encouraging. I looked at my boat this weekend, and it looks like the finished install could be very elegant and neat.
Birdbrain333, did you do the installation yourself, or get professional help? Where are you and your boat located? I am in RI. I would be interested in a group purchase and it would be nice to see pictures of the Yves Gelinas installation.
Regarding the Hydrovane unit: I used one of these (at least I think it was one of these) 30 years ago! (not my boat). I seem to remember it took a bit of setting up, but then worked fine. The extra rudder causes extra drag and is well suited to catching fishing gear as it has no "kick up" mechanism. It's also tricky to get on and off (not that you should need to remove it other than to reduce drag). It also has no servo effect (wind power turns the rudder), but on a well balanced boat like the C37 that should not be a problem. I like the redundant steering gear it offers, and the fact that the wheel isn't turning back and forth in the cockpit (a potential safty hazard if someone inadvertantly put their hand in the wrong place). It also looks pretty good, not too many appendages.
They both look like fine units, each with their compomises.

Paul
Old 11-11-2008

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
Dear Bill and Paul, I did the installation of the Cape Horn wind vane myself and found the directions to be very clear and easy to follow. As I mentioned, I measured MANY times to make sure everything was right before drilling that hole. But they even set up the quadrant with a temporary derlin plug with a 1/4 hole in its center so that after you drill the pilot hole you can check yet again this time with the quadrant in place, to make sure everything will clear and line up perfectly. Once the hole was drilled the rest of the installation took about a day.

Unfortunately Yves reports that he lost all of his pictures of the PSC 37 insallation he did when his computer hard drive died. Regarding the installation Yves wrote:
"I have personally installed a CapeHorn gear on a Crealock 37 and there is no problem to it. The mounting tube passes all the way through the gas locker, between the two tanks; since the tube is sealed at both ends, the locker remains airtight. The CapeHorn quadrant is immediately in front of the locker bulkhead, above the boat's steering quadrant. You can purchase this boat in confidence. In my opinion, the Crealock 37 is the best boat for voyaging. It has only one fault : it does not steer itself, fault that is easily corrected with the addition of a CapeHorn gear" This from a man who singlehanded an Alberg 30 around the world.

Bill and others who may be interested, last time I checked with Yves he said that the discount was 15% for 5 or more orders, 20% for 10 and, for a recent order of 25 units (Westsail 32 owners) 20%. I fear, however, that the dimensions must all be the same so am not sure, Bill, how this might work out with your 38' Hughes. I'll check on the dimensions later this week or early next and get back to the group then,

Jay

PSC 37 # 171
Old 12-04-2008
"OLD SALT"

easygoing is on a distinguished road
Thanks BirdBrain, I contacted Yves and he is helping me out on a discount with my Cape Horn. Yes you are right I would need a longer shaft. Sorry but it will all work out. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Bill"
S/V "Silly Bette"
1968 38' Hughes
Old 12-05-2008

DMD is on a distinguished road
Cape Horn Steering

Jay
I have been researching the Cape Horn System since this thread appeared, and have found very positive reviews. I really like the clean installation and simplicity of the gear itself (though making that big hole won't be easy!). Please let us know what you find out about a group discount, I'm definitely interested.

Dave
Crealock 37#151
"Eowyn"
Old 12-13-2008

cyndimarcus is on a distinguished road
I would be interested in the group discount. Looks like I'm the proud new owner of a Fuji 32!!
Old 12-17-2008

okapi3 is on a distinguished road
Great thread! I, too, am interested in the Cape Horn, and in the discount if a smaller boat could be included in the group rate. But also, does anyone have experience, or thoughts, about installing a windvane self-steerer on a PSC 31 (flat vertical transom with swim ladder in center), and the pros and cons of off-center installation vs removing the swim ladder and using some alternative means for getting back on the boat from the water? The windvane manufacturers all say off-center is fine, but I would still rather have it centered if possible. Can one use the mounting bars of the self-steerer to climb in and out of the boat??
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.