Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008

orientalnc2010 is on a distinguished road
mounting instruments over companionway

I am in the process of planning the location of new instruments on my PSC 31.
IMHO the wind depth and speed should be in a location where the entire crew can view the data. Having crewed on a few boats with bulkhead mounted displays I find that the data is more often covered by running rigging or a crew member. I have seen a few displays wiped out by a knee from an energenic crew member who braces himself against the bulkhead when trimming a line.
This is why I have decided that over the companionway is a good choice, problem is in routing the cables to the seahood. There is a wire chase above the hanging locker in the corner outside the head bulkhead. There does not seem to be enough room to drill over the top of the wire chase to drill into the headliner area.
Any ideas of how to route the cables over to the seahood area?
I am planning on fabing a teak housing that will mount over the seahood with a stainless steel tube wire chase comming from the both sides of the housing, making a right angle to the coachroof.
Thanks,
Steve
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Your plan sounds reasonable.. you may want to spend the money on having the SS chase bent rather than fabricated from elbows and straight bits of pipe. It will look better and ease the wire feeding chores.

I hear what you're saying about the bulkhead mounted instruments often being obstructed, but in our experience the companionway is another popular hangout, and anyone sitting/standing there will similarly block your view!

I'm waiting for the HUD option for my eyeglasses!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-17-2008

orientalnc2010 is on a distinguished road
Faster,
You must sail a dry boat, my glasses seem to attract salt water. Anyone hanging around the companionway will be forced to walk the plank. Thanks for the suggestion of bending the pipe. My biggest problem is getting cables out of the bilge and across the headliner, I'm sure someone has tackled this situation before.
Regards,
Steve
Old 11-17-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
On our last boat we had a similar situation vis a vis the wiring to the companion-way mounted instruments, and it had no headliner per se.

The wires were bundled and basically zap-strapped to the overhead, an eyesore that I always intended to address but never got around to it while we owned her.

My plan had been to rip some white PVC pipe in half on a table saw, clean it up and drill the edges to mount it around the wires as a half-round conduit. Another thought was to use the thinner walled plastic pipe like that supplied for those central vacuum cleaning setups. You could similarly cut the elbows if you needed to make some turns.. here's where the thinner walled product would result in a less bulky look.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 11-18-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
That's a tricky one.

I might bring the power and data cables up from the battery compartment, through the quarterberth overhead, then into the headliner just to port of the sliding hatch.

Would love to see photos of the finished product!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-18-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
If the goal is crew visibility, why not mast mounted displays? This would also simplify wiring, IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-18-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAsailing View Post
If the goal is crew visibility, why not mast mounted displays? This would also simplify wiring, IMO.
NOLA,

You are thinking like a racer!!

I haven't seen any photos of Steve's boat, but we cruisers typically have dodgers that rarely if ever get folded down!

Also, our cruising crew are in the cockpit, not on the rail!

P.S.

Steve, are you in Scituate harbor?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-18-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I must confess...I am a little puzzled by the need for crew visability on a cruising boat and all the attendant work required to get it.
Old 11-18-2008
Just another Moderator

Once a racer, always a racer, even when cruising, Cam. We raced for years but no longer race our current boat. Yet it drives me nuts that my first mate can seemingly always park herself in my line of sight to our knotmeter regardless of where I happen to be steering from... If I can't know I'm getting everything I can out of the boat I get antsy.

Old 11-18-2008
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
I'm seldom on the wheel as 90% of the time I'm on autopilot but I like to keep an eye on the instruments so I mounted mine on the coachroof with a Navpod. Works fine. Better than bulkhead mounted, better than pedestal mounted.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.