Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2008

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
LAVAC Head in PSC 34/37

Well, it looks like my first job in our "new" PSC 37 will be to replace the Head. Oh Joy. Has anyone installed a LAVAC Popular model on a PSC 34 or 37? I'm wondering how you worked out the placement of the pump and the hose runs. Thank you in advance and Happy Holidays to all.

Jay

PSC 37 # 171, KenLanu
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2008

johnbanfield is on a distinguished road
Hi,
we just did this. We went with the top-lever pump, not the through-bulkhead type. . We ended up with putting the pump inside the locker, screwed to the fwd wall of the cabinet next to the head.
We managed to get it so that the full throw of the pump handle just misses the sink pipe, but the door still closes.
Height-wise, we put it as low as we could on the wall section above the lip - it needs to be above the waterline.
This job took all day - we used white sanitation pipe for the 1st time and either it is a pain to work with, or i'm doing it wrong. Now we have it in it works very well - it was worth it. We have a 3 way valve to a holding tank as per the Lavac instructions. Just take your time and it'll go OK.
John

PSC37 Liberty
Old 12-27-2008

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
LeVac Head Install

Thanks, John. I can well imagine it was an all day project wrestling that reluctant pipe. If you have pictures that would be fabulous!

Thanks again, Jay
Old 12-29-2008

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road
A previous owner of my 34í removed a Lavac toilet and installed a Groco Type K. The Lavac was gone and the Groco in place when I got the boat. The Lavac hand pump had been mounted in the head compartment on the surface of the bulkhead with the vee berth just below the height of the counter top. The hoses to and from the pump passed out of holes drilled in the cabinetwork between the cabinet door and the bulkhead, one high near the top of the cabinet door and one low nearly level with the bottom of the cabinet door. I know this because I completed the transition from Lavac to Groco by filling the four screw holes in the bulkhead with colored compound to match the laminate and plugging the two large holes in the cabinet face with varnished teak disks.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Old 12-29-2008

svjobeth is on a distinguished road
We're looking at doing this on our boat. The Groco-K has been a workhorse, but the tired old pump casting needs to be replaced - and the darn things cost about $1,300 - just for the pump assembly!

I've been puzzling over the plumbing aspect of the LaVac, so this helps out alot -
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain