Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009

billbalme is on a distinguished road
And the answer is.... YES!
2 8D's and Heart Inverter fit snugly in the the locker just aft of the head. No opportunity to put battery boxes in as well though. (There's no requirement that says Thou shalt store all batteries in a battery box, is there?)

This opens up two great lockers - one at the head of the quarterberth - which used to house a battery and inverter and one beneath the new nav station seat... Excellent! :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2009

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Bill - look forward to seeing your pics. Ours only has 2 Group 31's abaft the head, would love to get more Ah for the house bank.
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 03-01-2009

Seems there IS a requirement that says Thou Shalt store batteries in Boxes capable of dealing with electrolyte...

Now thinking that I might use just a single 8D this year - weekend cruising and the odd week - and then switch to 4 T105 Trojans which I think will fit in that locker - and in a box...

Questions:
Reasonable to live off a single 8D?
Anyone got 4 (or even 6) Trojans aboard a 37?

Bill
Old 03-01-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I have found that the trouble with most of the battery boxes you can buy is the height of the box it's self, it is hard to fit them in many lockers. That forced me into making my own battery boxes.

Quote:
Seems there IS a requirement that says Thou Shalt store batteries in Boxes capable of dealing with electrolyte...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-01-2009

Trying for the first time to upload some pictures...

If it comes out you should see a before and three in progress photos of the nav station change I'm making... Really excited to bring my boat to a more standard configuration...

Nasty looking wiring eh? Most of the bad stiff is already gone - going to make her look realy pretty...
Attached Thumbnails
Navigation Station on 37-nav-station.jpg   Navigation Station on 37-img_0029.jpg   Navigation Station on 37-img_0033.jpg   Navigation Station on 37-img_0041.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbalme View Post
Trying for the first time to upload some pictures...

If it comes out you should see a before and three in progress photos of the nav station change I'm making... Really excited to bring my boat to a more standard configuration...

Nasty looking wiring eh? Most of the bad stiff is already gone - going to make her look realy pretty...
Wow - Bill. Looks like the surgery was a success. Congratulations and keep up the good work.
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 03-06-2009

discoverer37 is on a distinguished road
Bill,
where is your starter battery, and what size do you use?

Paul
Old 03-06-2009

Paul,
Currently using a group 27 gel, located in the big cockpit locker - on the shelf. I'll probably swap it for the Group 31 I have and move it to behind the new nav station seat.

Trying very hard to map out my charging circuit - not easy - very convoluted. It's all well put together - but since I don't know which wire goes to what - including all the battery cables, it's rather difficult.

Bill
Old 07-13-2009

johnbanfield is on a distinguished road
Looks good - we are very interested because we are in the same boat (so to speak), except ours tapers down towards the centerline.

We might go a step further and take ours apart entirely, so we could come further into the passage.

Does anyone out there have the dimensions for the stock fwd looking desk?
Old 07-14-2009

When I started the Nav Station revamp, I also wanted to take it apart completely - not so easy.

The bottom of the station extends right to the hull - under the sill which houses most of the electronics. Therefore difficult to remove. This also makes it unappealing to run flush with the sill - since you'd be exposing a raw edge of plywood - hence I developed the small aft storage box - which is actually proving to be really useful!

The other problem is that the forward side of the nav station also extends to the hull - and again would be very difficult so simply cut out and replace.

What I don't like about the new station is that it is flat - not tapered - but again, to accomplish a taper would have been very difficult - trying to get a good line on the forward side and being able to then cover the raw ply edge.
However, it turns out that having a flat table is actually of huge advantage - we find ourselves using the table from both the new seat and from the passageway - I guess I got really lucky.

The only thing I think I did wrong - easily fixable - is that the new seat (not shown in the photos (which only show the mock-up version) is a little low - but then I needed another project for next winter! :-)

The whole project turned out to be much easier than I had anticipated - though I still have to do the final finishing - next winter!

The improvement to access in the quarterberth is absolutely fantastic - storing the folding tandem there is now really easy.

Bill