Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009

billbalme is on a distinguished road
Navigation Station on 37

I tried to find the old thread about this but couldn't...

I am trying to modify my Nav Station - which is a custom stand up unit, which unfortunately blocks access to the quarterberth.

In making a mock-up of the fiberglass that's in my boat - same as normal except the standard nav station seat moulding is not there, it appears that the whole area is very tight. Can someone tell me if the standard nav station is a tight seating arrangement. I am (was) considering putting a rotating rally seat in (much like Evans Starzinger for those familiar) but it's apparent that there's simply no room.

Is the fiberglass pedestal that the standard (and my) nav station stands on structural? Could I perhaps cut away the aft wall - which would make the whole area considerably more roomy?

Is the standard nav station good? Should I being trying to retofit such an arrangement - or do you have other thoughts that you wish you could incorporate in your 37?

Your thoughts appreciated...

Bill
s/v Toodle-oo!
PSC37 #148
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2009

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Bill:
On our standard setup (PSC37 #359), I find myself more often sitting on the forward edge of the "quarterberth" rather than on the nav station seat (I am 6'0"). So I'd agree it is rather tight and too low (for me).
Let us know how your "Starzinger" mod goes.
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 01-26-2009

Ted,

Thanks for the input - I'm 6'0" too so it's especially helpful...

What's too low - the table or the ceiling? As you sit on the quarterberth, are you able to relax - or are you forced to lean forward?

On our trip to Bermuda a couple years ago, my wife complained that she had nowhere comfortable to sit while on watch. Hence the thought of getting the rally seat in place - which would have the potential benefit of seat belts too - but the space is so tight that I think to do it I'd have to cut away at least a portion of the pedestal.

Maybe there's a way I can utilize the front quarterberth better...
Old 01-26-2009

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Bill:

By "too low", I was referring to the stock nav station seat. I wish it were at the same height as the q'berth.

Not sure there is enough room there to fit what Evans did on his 48' Van de Stadt:

V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 01-27-2009

Thanks Ted,

I am loath to cut into the fiberglass of the pedestal to gain more room in that area in order to fit an Evans type seat - so I have come up with a new solution - which I'm pretty excited about...

I'm now thinking of extending the quarterberth forward a little - sufficient to allow easy access to a small nav table atop the pedestal - therefore fixing the height issue you describe. (It would also allow the creation of a small cabinet beneath.) Then, thinking of attaching part (half?) of a hammock - the wide bit would be attached to the front of the new extension, the pointy end would go to somewhere on the rear bulkhead or ceiling (possibly either) - thereby providing a secure, comfortable backrest to the 'chair', which can be "reclined" by lengthening the attachment point. It can also be removed and stored under the seat cushion, providing easy access to the quarterberth. This 'part hammock' will no doubt have to be custom made - but that should be easy.

What does the group think?

Bill
Toodle-oo!
PSC37 #148
Old 01-27-2009

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
Nav Station Seat

Dear Bill, I designed and built custom furniture, including a lot of dining room chairs for 14 years. Chairs are Very Tricky in that small changes in angles or proportions can make a huge difference in comfort. I agree that a comfortable seat in that area would be a boon. If it were me I'd go with a highly sculpted seat (think old fashioned tractor seat) and lumbar back support that could swivel to face amidships or face forward. I KNOW I had a URL for a complany providing something that could be easily adapted but can't for the life of me find it now. I'll keep looking and post it if I find it.

Jay
Old 01-27-2009

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
I found the URL which is
BioFit for Healthcare | 1Y Stool Series

If you click on "Options" you will find versions with backs. Not sure this would work but worth pondering.

The other thing about seats is that any seat with a sloped back and flat (horizontal) seat is guaranteed to be miserable. Good seating requires a somewhat acute angle between seat back and the seat itself . When done right that angle holds you in against the back of the seat. But when held back into the seat the height and size of the lumbar support become critical and should be carefully mocked up and tried out by all who will use it to find a good compromise. Sometimes an eight of an inch is all the difference between "ahhhhh" and "argh!"

OK, enough from an old and cranky seating designer.

Jay

PSC 37 # 171, Kenlanu
Old 01-28-2009

Thanks for the link Jay.

I think I have to eliminate the idea of a separate seat - there just isn't enough room.

I've now developed my idea to extend the quaterberth forward 12" to create a seat - with storage below and also with a storage box/arm rest on the port side. I will mock up the hammock idea - but I'm pretty confident that with some trial and error, I'll be able to produce a comfortable arrangement for both sitting at the table and lounging, by changing the length of the attachment rope of the 'hammock" back - or moving that point fore/aft.

The nav table will be big enough to just accomodate a 23 x 18 chart book, slanted slightly downwards - but enabled to lie flat when required. I've also decided I'm going to put in three full extension drawers in the pedestal the table sits on - for better utilization of what is currently an open cupboard on Toodle-oo!

Also planning to add two cabinets on the port side of the quarteberth, reducing it's width to a single for passage making...

Quite excited about chopping up the boat!!!

Bill
s/v Toodle-oo!
PSC37 #148
Old 01-28-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbalme View Post
Quite excited about chopping up the boat!!!
Bill, You're braver than me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 02-28-2009

Old nav station is a thing of the past! New set-up is in progress - looks promising. I'm taking photos and will post as when I can. I've ended up with a seat position about 2" taller than the standard. Seems to fit right... now wondering how to manage the storage space...

Question: Does anyone with a 37 store 2 8D batteries in the seat locker aft of the head? I'm wondering if they will fet there. (I currently have one there and wonddering if both will fit - along with the inverter...

Bill
s/v Toodle-oo!
PSC 37 #148