Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009
Coastal Carolinas

Norstar is on a distinguished road
Ground tackle upgrade

Considering upgrading our ground tackle on our 34. Leaning towards a Rocna 33 or 44#. Has anyone else out there put one a 34 bow roller. Interested on how it sits on roller and clearance from blade tip to topsides.
Thanks,

John S.
PSC 34 "Norstar"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2009

quanyin is on a distinguished road
We have a Rocna 25 on our PS40. The anchor has worked well, and we've had no problems. My main concern is that it doesn't readily allow having our CQR 45 in tandem on the bow.
You might want to check to see if the retaining pin on your anchor roller will fit the Rocna.

Paul
PS 40, "QuanYin"
Old 02-24-2009

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road
Don't worry too much about the retaining hole locations. I carry a 44 lb Bruce and a 35 lb Delta on the bow of my 34'. The retaining holes were not correctly located for either anchor. A couple of hours work fixed both.

I went to the junk yard and found a piece of 1/8" thick by 1-1/2" wide stainless steel flat that I suspect is 304. From McMaster-Carr, I bought a piece of 7/16" stainless round, some large split rings, and some safety pins. At Lowes I bought four short 1/2" bolts and nuts.

At the boat I measured the distances from the bolt that serves as the axel of the roller to the existing retaining pin hole and the distance from that hole to the hole in the anchor. In the case of both the port and starboard anchors the three holes were arranged in a straight line.

At home I marked the three 1/2" hole locations on the stainless flat and struck 1-1/2" diameter arcs around the first and third holes. Then I drilled the holes, cut off the piece with a hack saw, and ground the ends round. After I had made all four pieces (two port and two starboard), I polished then up on a buffing wheel.

The next time I got to the boat, I bolted the four parts I made to the bow; the lowest hole in each piece to the bolt that passes through the roller and the second hole to the existing retaining pin hole. I stuck the stainless rod through the topmost holes in each pair passing through the hole in the anchor between and marked the required length of the two retaining pins. I cut the rod to lenght then drilled a 5/32" hole through one end for the retaining ring and another through the other end for the safety pin.

I now have two oversized anchors nicely pinned to the bow of the boat.

Bill Murdoch
Irish Eyes
1988 Crealock 34
Old 02-25-2009

johnharch is on a distinguished road
I would love to see a picture of that.

Bill, I would love to se a picture of your anchor mount.

I have a picture of a Rocna on my 34, but it is currently just tied in place with a piece of rope until I figure out a permanent mount. I think I have a picture attached.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Ground tackle upgrade-rocna.jpg  
Old 02-25-2009

Here's a better picture

Better picture
Attached Thumbnails
Ground tackle upgrade-rocna2.jpg  
Old 02-25-2009
Coastal Carolinas

Norstar is on a distinguished road
John,
Thanks for posting the pics. I wanted to see how it sits on the bow roller. Looks like a nice fit and the pin location can maybe be drilled into the anchor stock to retain it. Looks like no room for a 2nd anchor as Paul indicated above.

Thanks,
John S.
S/V "Norstar"
Old 02-25-2009

billbalme is on a distinguished road
I have a 60# Manson Supreme (Rocna knock-off) on my 37 - and do I sleep well at night! :-) Works beautifully. No way could I also fit a CQR on the bow at the same time - but I'm really not sure why I'd want to anyway.

The Manson fits in the roller well but the retaining pin was never a good fit for the old CQR and indeed isn't for the Manson. I manage keeping the MS in place by tieing a line around the roll bar of the Manson and securing it to the Pulpit. It's quick and easy to tie and to undo and very secure. It also is used to tie the anchor upside down on the roller when on the mooring - to prevent chafing the mooring line.

The Anchor gets lots of comments and is one of the best upgrades I made to the boat!

Bill
s/v Toodle-oo!
PS37 #148
Old 02-25-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnharch View Post
Bill, I would love to se a picture of your anchor mount.

I have a picture of a Rocna on my 34, but it is currently just tied in place with a piece of rope until I figure out a permanent mount. I think I have a picture attached.

John
John,

Have you found the Rocna 15 to be adequately sized for your boat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 02-25-2009

adequately sized for my PNW cruising grounds

John, I have found it more than adequate for my PNW cruising, whick admittedly has not stressed it. I spend a lot of time at anchor in the summers, but the conditions are usually mild. It is certainly more adequate than the 33# CQR it replaced and it grabs wonderfully. For a storm anchor, I would go up a size, but I'm not an expert on this. I had considered the l;arger size when I bought it, but the Rocna staff convinced me that the 15 had more than adequate holding power for my boat.

John
Old 02-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I have a Rocna 15 (33#) on my boat, and it fits the bow roller just fine. Don't have a photo of it at the moment, but will post one when I can later this week. I think the Rocna 20 (44#) would be a bit over kill for your boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.