Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009
Mondofromredondo

mondofromredondo is on a distinguished road
Dedicated Radar Mast on a PSC 34

Hi all,

I'm considering installing a radar mast at the transom of my PSC 34. It'll serve a couple purposes. One location for my radome. Two location for my gps receiver. Three will have an arm with block to lift my 5 HP outboard.
I have a Monitor Wind Vane so I'm also concerned about location and its effect on the Vane sail. Also curious about installation thru the deck versus attached only at the deck level.
Anyone using a radar mast on their PSC? Any pics or tips?

Thanks,
Keith
PSC 34
S/V Charity Rose
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2009

johnharch is on a distinguished road
Kieth, I have an Edson thru the deck mount on my 34' with radar, GPS, wi-fi and a backup VHF antenna. It is very stout with no barcing to get in the way of things. I was going to go dow to the boat and take a couple of pictures, but it's snowing. What is it doing snowing, it's time to be out sailing already.

John (in Washington)
Old 02-25-2009

quanyin is on a distinguished road
We had an Edson on our 34, and now have a Seaview unit on our 40. As I recall, the Edson was much pricier. We love the outboard lift on both of them.

I tried to post the Seaview link, but the system won't let me. It's available through PYI.

This snow is not the harbinger of spring that I have been expecting.

Paul (also in Washington)

PS Please excuse if this appears twice. I tried to post it earlier, but it didn't appear.
Old 02-27-2009
Mondofromredondo

Good info

Thanks for the input guys. I"m really leaning towards going with the dedicated mast. But as I recall my backstay comes down to the deck right where I'd like to put it. I like the idea of keeping it on centerline so that my windvane won't be affected as I'll never be using the vane straight into the wind. However there would be benefit by locating it offcenter as it would make it easier to lift my outboard without smacking the windvane. With your installations is your mast off centerline? and thru what part of the deck?

Keith
Old 02-27-2009

Paul_L is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondofromredondo View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I"m really leaning towards going with the dedicated mast. But as I recall my backstay comes down to the deck right where I'd like to put it. I like the idea of keeping it on centerline so that my windvane won't be affected as I'll never be using the vane straight into the wind. However there would be benefit by locating it offcenter as it would make it easier to lift my outboard without smacking the windvane. With your installations is your mast off centerline? and thru what part of the deck?

Keith
Keith,
I don't buy the logic of putting the pole directly in front of the wind vane. This will disrupt the wind flow to the vane. You are better off to put the mast to side of the vane, as far off center as you can. It will make no practical difference in Radar use.

Paul L
Old 02-27-2009
Mondofromredondo

mast in front of the vane

Paul,
Here is my logic. As it is impossible for me to sail dead into the wind I will never be in a situation where the vane is going to be blocked to the wind as I would always be 15 degrees or more to the wind. Therefore the mast straight forward of the vane makes perfect sense to me. Now if I had it located off to one side or another it has the potential of interfering with the windstream.

Keith
Old 02-27-2009

Paul_L is on a distinguished road
Keith,
I understand your logic, I just don't buy it. The hardest time the vane has is with light wind in rolly conditions. I believe that the interruption of the general airflow near the vane caused by a pole located very close to it will be determental in this wind condition. Moving a pole that is 3 to 4 in in diameter 3 feet away from the vane will have little affect in any conditions. Take a look around at pole mounts on cruising boats that have vanes. I doubt you will see any that are directly mounted in front of the vane.

Paul L
Old 02-28-2009

stevemac00 is on a distinguished road
I think you're both correct. In rolly conditions the pole could be whipping with some good velocity to cause air disruptions several feet away. But offsetting the pole three feet would make minimal difference. Additionally, offsetting the pole will cause disruptions at one point of sail when beating to wind.

I think the reason most sailors offset the pole is to avoid the mast shadow dead on and the keep the radio waves further from the helmsman.
PSC 31 #84
Talisman