Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009

johnharch is on a distinguished road
Storage under settee on 34

I'm not sure if all 34's have the under -cusion access to the storage under the settees or if some have doors on the front, but in order to gain more easily accessible storage space, I am considering cutting the glass face and installing either doors or drawers. Is there any reason why I would not want to cut into this space?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2009
Coastal Carolinas

Norstar is on a distinguished road
I agree accessing the space under the settees on the 34 is not very easy. On our 34 we have considered your solution by cutting doors into the front. However, considering the sweep curve of the hull under the space, most of the gear you stow there will be resting against the doors and minimizing usable storage. We have resigned to just storing stuff under there that we don't need often. Another thought on this is to redo the settee cushions into 3 separate sections with batten slides underneath. That way you can remove 1 section and slide the two other sections around for easy access through the hatches. (Lin & Larry Pardy idea) You can really only do this on the starboard side as the back cushion is fastened with snaps. The port side has the back cushion with the backboard to be used as an extension to that berth and is floating in the space supported by a bungee cord strap on the back. It's a pain to remove. I might consider this option if we ever redo the upholstery.

John S.
PSC 34
"Norstar"
Old 04-10-2009

johnharch is on a distinguished road
Good points

Good points, John

I'll leave it as is for the summer and give it some more thought. In my case, I have some special circumstances. I single hand almost always and use the port side for my birth. I have removed the back and put it in storage and have a foam pad over the cushion that makes it even more difficult to access below.
Drawers under would sacrifice some space, but oh how wonderfully easy it would be to get to. My biggest concern is if there is some structual or design reason not to cut into the base.

John
Old 05-05-2009

samchristo is on a distinguished road
Storage under settee on 34

Our 34 has doors (two on each side) installed by the factory and we're glad we have them. It is a pain to move cushions, etc and the doors offer easy access to at least some of the stuff. We still have to go thru the top for bigger items or for items not accessible from the front (most everything is in plastic tubs or nylon bags). So far, nothing has come out in heavy seas but we do worry about that - we've yet to find a good and affordable option to keep the doors closed.
All in all, I'd recommend the doors.

Sam
s/v Grace PSC34 #163
Old 09-30-2009
Wing n' Wing

Lansdowne is on a distinguished road
Our crealock 34 has two lower doors, on both port and Starboard settee's. Work great. You can buy these with frames from the "new" Pacific seacraft."
make a pattern from the back of the door frame, masking tape and router out the hole. epoxy.
To keep everything in the lockers and not out the doors in heavy weather, cut a piece of plywood shorter than the door opening and a couple of inches longer each side of the opening. Open door, slide plywood in too far one direction, slide back other way to block opening, close door.
The weight of the items in the settee storage will keep the plywood inside, pushing to block the opening.