Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009

Alannc44 is on a distinguished road
Congrats on your 37!! Man, I'm still dreaming about my new one. I closed a couple of months ago. Had a wonderful two days on it this weekend sailing and anchoring out. My fiance had never sailed before.... by the end of the day I coudn't wrestle the wheel from her. The boat is so balanced. I also have the standard keel...no depth problems yet.

I hope the work you're about to do doesn't keep you out of water this Spring. Summer doldrums are only a couple of months away. Get on it while you can, and fix it when you can't sail!

Alan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2009
WINDFLOWER-PSC37

karlinD is on a distinguished road
Alan,

Congratulations on your new boat. I had heard about your boat and Thumper tells me she's a very pretty lady. In the mid 90's I took delivery of a new Dana and have sailed her to many locations. I kept her in the Bahamas for as long as the tax man would allow and then back to the US for a quick turn around to the islands. I intend on taking my 37 to Cuba and other waters that could be a little tricky so I wanted to have less $$$ than a new boat would cost so insurance and other costs could be written off in a worst case scanerio. Good luck with your new Crealock!

Karlin
Old 04-27-2009

Thanks!

Yes, I weighed getting a used one versus new, but I'm 99% sure I'm going to keep this one till I retire. I'm 50 now. I'll keep her 'new' for a few years, and by the time she develops scars I'll be ready to sail farther than around N.C. and S.C. I'll have the time then too.

I also know that I'm not really up on mechanics and don't really have the time to work on maintainance like I should. Keeping her relatively near the factory will, hopefully, lighten that load. At least until I learn more.

She does have some teak, but I sell sand paper as a part of my own business <g>

Alan
Old 04-27-2009

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
Alan, glad you guys had a nice sail; you couldn't have asked for a better weekend for it. Lots of boats out there on the Pamlico shaking the cobwebs out.

I'm David's son Jules and have just gotten started at Carolina Wind helping out with the charter fleet. Kon Jeni-AL looks great on the dock, and we are looking forward to having quite the PSC fleet out there in the next month or so. It'll be a pretty sight. I got to check out the factory for the first time last week and really enjoyed that.

Looking forward also to getting to meet you and Jenny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Old 04-27-2009

Are you the son who did the story about the young woman we saved at Masonboro a few months ago? David told me he had a son who wrote the report for the local newspaper. (for readers: we were windsurfing near an inlet in 25 knots when one of my buddies discovered a woman trying to swim back in through an inlet. She was about a mile out and had been swept out by a current that peaks around 4 knots....she was crying and had no PFD. It was 5:00 PM in March )

It'll be great meeting you and having you come aboard some time. I've been pestering your dad with questions. The latest to pop in my mind has to do with getting a liferaft for just sailing out to Ocracoke....but that's another thread and I hate hijacking this one. I've already beat people off the topic.

It WAS a fantastic weekend, and we now have a new sailor ( my fiance ). This her first sail and she's hooked.

L8r,
Alan
Old 04-27-2009

You're right, sent you a PM.

karlinD, congrats on your PSC and good luck with your ports!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-18-2009
WINDFLOWER-PSC37

Thank you to all that have thus far sent PM's or posted a reply to my questions regarding the refit of my Crealock. After creating a punch list of items that needed to be updated to transform my 88' that needs attention into a "proper yacht", and since Steve Brodie, Thumper and the Fullerton staff now at the new PSC factory in Washington have the expertise and product knowledge to transform my boat into what is essentially an 09' boat, I have decided to sent the boat to the factory for a total refit. To that end, I traveled to Washington late last week and visited with the factory (my Crealock made the trip inside the factory last Wednesday) to discuss the refit. The bronze portlights will shine again along with the other components of the boat being brought to "like new".

Again, thanks to all for your input and I will share my photos as we proceed to make "Windflower" shine.

K
Old 05-18-2009

She'll be a beauty when they're done! Congrats.

Old 06-22-2009
WINDFLOWER-PSC37

Update on Refit

Good morning all!

It is time for an update since I traveled last week to Washington and much has occurred on WINDFLOWER.

The craftsmen at Pacific Seacraft were treated to Steve's handy work in the removal of the opening ports. Steve wanted to be personally involved in the removal of the opening ports since the interior teak is in excellent condition and the removal of the ports could easily damage the teak cabin sides. Steve perhaps scratched his head as he pondered the best removal technique and he quickly engineered a port light-removal-tool complete with a wood wrench to turn the wing nuts applying equal pressure on the light's mounting sleeve allowing easy removal and no teak was damaged in the process.

Erik Atkins at the well respected Atkins and Hoyle manufacturer of high quality hatches and port lights located in Ontario (Atkins & Hoyle Ltd. - #1 Davits, Cranes, Roll Ons, Hatches, Marine Accessories) has been selected to restore the port lights to their original splendor of bronze (without the chrome plating) expertly fitted with all new gaskets, seals and new acrylic (reported to be better than Lexan) lenses having a 15% tinting of gray. The port lights leave for Atkins in Canada this week. Also, since Atkins and Hoyle will be restoring the port lights, they have agreed to perform the restoration of all other bronze hardware (cleats, hawse pipe, etc.) to their bronze finish and looking new or better.

The winches have also now been removed by Pacific Seacraft along with all the other fittings on the top deck. The winches are being shipped to Doug Ely at Dakota Marine (DAKOTA MARINE YACHT SERVICES Great Rates, Great Results) for their Service Special reconditioning the winches. While the winches are being serviced, the bronze exterior components are being stripped of all chrome plating and polished to look new.

The mast and boom are in Washington but soon will be transported to Unique in Raliegh (www.uniquecoatings.com) and they have the capability to media blast the mast and boom and powder coat to original specs.

Lefiell Manufacturing in California (Lefiell Manufacturing) has assured me that they have anything and everything for the rigging and all other parts for the rig including a new sticker just like the original.

Hopefully this week the mast and boom will be transported about 90 miles to be made like new.

Last week the Yanmar diesel was pulled out of the boat along with the transmission at the PSC factory and I drove to Washington to Savannah to transport the power train to WW Williams (W. W. Williams) to have the engine completely brought to "as new" condition. The engine only had 2300 hours with a favorable engine survey report but I decided why not have the power plant as fresh as the remainder of the boat. Upon my arrival at their shop, I was told how dependable the 4 hole Yanmar engine has been and I should expect an easy rebuild. Late last week I received a preliminary report from WW and the transmission cooler was reportedly disintegrated upon removal and inspection. No other news to report on mechanics.

WINDFLOWER had a weird looking electric windlass that was not working during the survey. The former owner claimed a wire was loose. Since it was ugly as sin and not working I opted to replace it with a manual type like the ABI 200012 bronze model which is a work of art in itself. Update: ABI has filed bankruptcy and is no longer in business. After much investigation, I found an email address for the former ABI national sales manager and he supplied me with enough information to find the original supplier of the salty looking bronze manual windlass. They were supplied by Li Chun Industrial Corporation from Taiwan (lcic.com :: this domain is for sale.) They are in the process of sending a new shiny windlass in bronze.

I'll wrap it up for now. More to follow since I have A/C, tiller conversion, refrigeration, new sails, fuel tank removal to inspect and replace with buffer from keel bolts, fiberglass holding tank tops, and many more items required for WINDFLOWER's factory 09’ refit. Hopefully the information I learn along this project will help other PSC owners that wish to update and or repair their Hall of Fame sailboat.
Regards,
Karlin
WINDFLOWER
37' PSC #198
Old 06-22-2009

I know you're excited now that so much progress is being done. Steve's had his hands full too. Tomorrow they're launching a brand new 34 footer. It's good they're busy during this recession.

They really back their product down there. You should consider keeping it in Washington along side the growing fleet so that if you have any subsequent issues they can tend to it right away. There must be 10 or so PSC's lined up at Carolina Wind now.

We had a great sail yesterday in the sound. Wish I had known you might have been in town. Could've used the help as we were double reefed in gusts up to 35 down at Blount's Bay.

Alan
Kon Jeni-Al