Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009
WINDFLOWER-PSC37

karlinD is on a distinguished road
New to this board - just bought PSC 37

Hello All.

This is my first post on this board.

I have now taken title to a PSC 37' Sloop w/standard keel (last week); I am very excited and somewhat apprehensive about the road ahead in getting her in condition to sail the seven seas. She was born in 88' and has sufferred a bit of neglect but has wonderful lines and with thoughtful updating will hopefully shine again.

Years ago I bought a new Dana and had several years of wonderful experiences with my little princess visiting south Florida and the Keys extensively along with some runs to the Abacos. She was sold after a few years and the thought of long distance cruising was shelved until a later date and that date is finally on the horizon.

Serious consideration was given towards ordering a new 37' but the $$$ along w/ a passion for the more traditional look of the PSC of yesteryear prevailed and now the real cost of buying a project has presented itself. Did I mention that I am not a do-it your-selfer?

Help!!!

As I attempt to learn the "insider's wisdom" please excuse my ignorance for the instances that I ask a question of your expertise and that topic has been fully addressed in the Forum but was not found by my searches. I promise to not waste your time and eagerly seek your input.

My first question:

My portlights are a nightmare. They may leak but no real signs of leakage problems. They are just plain ugly and tired looking. The chrome is basically gone and the patina is not very attractive. As a matter of fact it they are worst than ugly. I have read in the Forum great tips about new seals and glass but does anyone have suggestions about replacing with the shiny new bronze in the same size and look as the OEM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlinD View Post
My first question:

My portlights are a nightmare. They may leak but no real signs of leakage problems. They are just plain ugly and tired looking. The chrome is basically gone and the patina is not very attractive. As a matter of fact it they are worst than ugly. I have read in the Forum great tips about new seals and glass but does anyone have suggestions about replacing with the shiny new bronze in the same size and look as the OEM?
Karlin,

Welcome to Sailnet and congrats on your new boat!

As far as the portlights go, first question is whether these are the oval or rectangular portlights? Given the year of your boat, I would assume they are ovals -- but your statement that the "chrome is basically gone" has me stumped.

To the best of my knowledge, the oval portlights were never available with a chrome option. By "chrome" we usually mean a bright silver-nickel-colored coating that is applied to the bronze portlights. This option was available on later models equipped with the newer rectangular portlight design, but I've never seen it on the ovals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-13-2009
WINDFLOWER-PSC37

Thanks for the reply John. I look forward to sharing my experiences with this community in hopes of helping other PSC owners/lovers.

You and I have the same opinion about the large oval port lights. I still can't understand why the port lights are not bronze other than perhpas my boat was at the time chrome was being considered and the original owner could have made the chrome an option for the boat. The port lights look original and do not have any signs of being replacement. The chrome is no longer chrome but rather a faint hint of silver. I don't think the chrome is aftermarket or a coating applied after manufacture date because of the edges that show no sign of being taped and still have a silver type sheen.
Old 04-13-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Thanks for the reply John. I look forward to sharing my experiences with this community in hopes of helping other PSC owners/lovers.

You and I have the same opinion about the large oval port lights. I still can't understand why the port lights are not bronze other than perhpas my boat was at the time chrome was being considered and the original owner could have made the chrome an option for the boat. The port lights look original and do not have any signs of being replacement. The chrome is no longer chrome but rather a faint hint of silver. I don't think the chrome is aftermarket or a coating applied after manufacture date because of the edges that show no sign of being taped and still have a silver type sheen.
So, you are saying that they are oval portlights?

If so, and they have a chrome finish, that's a first in my experience. I think the most likely explanation is that an owner had them chromed, either originally or sometime later. There are companies that will do that.

I am not sure what your options would be for replacing them. The O.E.M. for the oval portlights was Whitewater Marine. I believe you can still order them from Whitewater. But since you will need to remove the current ones to install new ones, you might check into the price of having the current ones re-chromed. You could also take the opportunity to re-build them (new gaskets and lenses).

If identical replacement portlights are still available, it's really a price comparison between replacement and refurb. I think using a different portlight would involve a tremendous amount of prep work -- since the cut-outs for the large oval portlights are quite a bit larger than most of the replacement options I'm familiar with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-13-2009
WINDFLOWER-PSC37

John,

Sorry to not answer the "oval", yes they are oval and based on my review, they are indeed taller than most oval portlights available. I am hopeful I can have the bronze instead of chrome But thus far have not found any replacements readily available from ABI or Whitewater and knowing the problem in changing sizes the original portlight is my first choice. If the OEM portlight could be purchased in bronze the issue could be solved otherwise it will be a quest to find a vendor that can recondition to like-new. Do you know if 5200 was used for the original installation? It seems like the removal of the portlights could be problematic. Incidently, the chrome looking patina has an original look.
Old 04-13-2009

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
Dear Carlin, Congratulations on your purchase. On my previous boat I also had lots of chrome which was 9/10ths gone and pure ugly. It sands off VERY easily (though you need to wear a good respirator!) and then, with suitable buffing and polishing will turn into fabulously beautiful bronze portlights. If it were me I'd replace the "glass" and gaskets and have basicaly new portlights for a fraction of the cost.

Jay, PS 37 , 171, Kenlanu
Old 04-13-2009
WINDFLOWER-PSC37

Kenlanu,

Thanks for the reply. Your suggestion is what I would hope to do if possible. Did you remove the port light to have easy access to the "edges" of the fixture?

Karlin
PSC 188
Old 04-13-2009
Mondofromredondo

mondofromredondo is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the new boat.
Such a coincidence that I just posted a similar thread regarding port lights.
My freind has a 1990 with the port lights having double pane glass. Problem is that moisture gets between the panes and become dense white waterspots which look terrible. So I'm trying to help him find a way to replace the lenses. PSC is looking but says the company back in New Zealand is out of biz. So my reply here is twofold. Welcome and help to anybody that knows how or where I can get the lenses replaced.

Thanks
Keith
Old 04-13-2009

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Kenlanu,

Thanks for the reply. Your suggestion is what I would hope to do if possible. Did you remove the port light to have easy access to the "edges" of the fixture?

Karlin
PSC 188
This was actually on the cleats and other deck hardware of a Pearson Vanguard (which had aluminum portlights) so I have not done this job. I would remove the portlights, however, 'cause every job is about 1,000% easier (aka faster and cheaper) when the parts are on the bench!

Jay
Old 04-27-2009
WINDFLOWER-PSC37

Good morning all. Over the weekend I received an email from Thumper at PSC advising me that he has discovered there were actually several PSC's of my vintage with the chromed plated hardware. Since I actually prefer the patina of the bronze/brass and the classic traditional look, my decision has been made to return "Windflower" to the look of the standard 88' PSC. Thumper has supplied to me a name of a metal refinisher in the Baltimore area METROPLATINGthat has experience in PSC's oval portlights. Now the removal process can begin. Thanks for your input; I'll report back on this project when the job is complete.

Crealock 37 # 198

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.