Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009
J3MG

JDGreenlee is on a distinguished road
Cool Old Pacific Seacraft 37 Gear/Sail Plan

Gear and maintenance:
What type of "original" technical information is available for the early Pacific Seacraft 37's? That is, specifications for the original spars, running and standing rigging, steering, deck hardware, standard sail inventory, etc. Most previous owners seem to have kept good records for what they added to hull #149, but the original equipment is lacking documentation (I have the original engine manuals). I wonder if they consistently "replaced in-kind" or upgraded here and there - certainly some of our deck hardware is original. But I think they upsized the halyards - or maybe the old technology required larger halyards for the same strength rating. The factory responded to my request but was unable to come up with much. Thought some of the owners may have collected info along the way. Please advise.

Follow-on:
Please recommend a good source for learning to optimize the PS37's original sail and rigging configuration (cutter). As popular as this vessel has been, there must have been an author somewhere advocating optimization of its sails under various conditions - or a Sailnetter that tinkered with it. I'm not speaking directly to the basics (I think I have that figured out, but then...) I know it's not a racer, but am interested in making it semi-competitive in its class (regattas, not windward/leewards). Polar diagrams? Any comments about the PS37 PHRF rating? Just trying to have a little "weekend" fun and getting to know the vessel under semi-stressful conditions before launching out on a cruise.

Thanks, James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
James, I hope you don't mind, but I moved your thread to the Pacific Seacraft forum, where I think you are more likely to find this sort of information. Also, from a "housekeeping" perspective, it will make it easier for others to locate and benefit from whatever info is provided.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-16-2009

HPLou is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HPLou
James, another good source would be a visit to your local sail makers' shop. They have alot of information on alot of different boats.
Lou
Old 04-16-2009

billbalme is on a distinguished road
James,

Don't have anything specific right now - but wanted to say hello - since I have hull #148 - howdee neighbour!

I do have a PHRF rating - can't quite remember what it was (180?) - will try to dig it out - or maybe you can find it online - I sailed then in Narragansett.

Managed a 3rd in class (missed 2nd by 16 seconds) in the around Prudence Island race... as I recall it took something like 6 hours to complete...

Enjoy your boat - are you new to her?

Bill
s/v Toodle-oo!
PSC37 #148
Old 04-16-2009

arisatx is on a distinguished road
James:

There is a rig tuning article by Don Kohlmann on the Cruising Yachts Inc website here.

HTH.
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 04-28-2009
J3MG

JDGreenlee is on a distinguished road
Many thanks to all

1) No, I don't mind moving the post here; actually, thank you.
2) Sail makers! Hmmm. Good idea.
3) Hi 148! Nice to meet you. I am new to her. Please forward any info you would like to share.
4) The tuning article is interesting. Now to put it to use!
Old 04-30-2009

niftynickers is on a distinguished road
James,
Your mast and boom are manufactured by LeFiell and they have all the specs and parts for your spars. Even the aluminum shoe the mast sits in is available from them and I would check that shoe thoroughly for corrosion that could admit water into the compression post causing serious problems .I know because I had that problem on #139.
Best of luck,
Dianne and Chuck BurkeS/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
Old 06-07-2009

I normally get my rig tuned by someone that know's what they're doing... This year, I did it myself - following Don Kohlmann's write up...

Very straightforward and well written. It was easy to follow and I think I ended up with the best outcome I've had on the boat since owning it.

I'd certainly recommend any newbie to a Crealock have a go at this.

Bill
Old 06-11-2009

discoverer37 is on a distinguished road
Bill,
that's encouraging to hear as rig tuning is on my list too. The biggest puzzle for me is the headstay. It's tough to tell how tight it is due to the roller furling foil. How did you deal with that?

Paul
Old 06-11-2009

I cheated! Last year when it came off, I left the turnbuckle alone and just released the backstay.

Putting it back together, I basically assumed the mast top was in the right spot and not leaning back too far and tensioned up the backstay. Don's write-up on headstay tension I found a little vague, "feels firm when pulled on at shoulder height" - I "felt" the tension in the backstay instead - figuring it must be equal that of the furling covered headstay.

What was interesting during the tuning of the shrouds was that I ended up with the starboard spreader rising up about 6" and had to pull it back down against a wire clamp that's on the stay. I wonder if there should be a clamp above the spreader too to keep it in place - or if there's a reason it's allowed to float (up only).

Bill