Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009

Redplane is on a distinguished road
Question Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31 - Thoughts?

I live in Hong Kong where there are not that many high quality boats in the 30 - 34 foot range - so it looks like I'm going to have to ship one over from the US or Europe. In which case, I want to buy a high quality boat that I can sail around Asia/Southeast Asia for many years to come.

I've decided on one of two boats. Hallberg Rassy or Pacific Seacraft.

I found a Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31 (launched 1979) that is in good shape (but what can you really tell from photos and over the phone?!).

It is a little old and I'm concerned about longevity - I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on areas I should be concerned with (i.e. problematic stuff unique to the Mariah and/or PSC) and should specific ask the owner?

My problem is that as I live in Hong Kong and this boat is in another country I need to do some diligence in advance of flying over to visit the boat.

Many thanks for your help.

Adam
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2009

LittleWingCA is on a distinguished road
Adam:

I looked at a few when I was shopping around. They are built like a tank and would serve you well in your area. No way to really tell what shape it is in unless you get a survey done, rigging inspection and possibly a engine checkout done. Definately need to haul it out and check the bottom. In general PSC makes a very high quality boat but how the interior, and hardware has held up, can only be seen by you or a surveyor being there. Where is it located? Maybe if it is near a fellow sailneter, they would be willing to swing by and check it out and take some photos.

The 2 that I looked at a few years ago had a very robust tiller, nice cabin layout, plenty of head room ( I am 6' 1" ) and are very heavy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California
Old 04-28-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Redplane,

Specific to the Mariah 31, some of these boats were delivered as hull and deck kits, finished by owners rather than the factory. So that would be an important question to ask right at the outset.

Here is a thread maybe worth perusing:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...31-mariah.html

As far as your planned trip, in your shoes I would make the most of the long journey and plan on visiting a half dozen or more prospective boat models, instead of just this one. You might find that your time will be spent more efficiently if you engage a reputable boat broker...

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-28-2009

Redplane is on a distinguished road
Hi...thanks very much for the insights. I wasn't aware of the kits...that is very good to know. Would you have any reservations about a PSC launched in 1979? Even if well kept it is still 30 years old, and just seems like it's begging for recurring maintenance issues (but then again what boat isnít, yeah?).

Iím just thinking if after 5 Ė 6 years you want to upgrade, it is just that much harder to find someone to take the boat off your hands. What is the lifespan of a sailboat of this model? I ask because in Hong Kong our sailing season is about 10 months, so boats are exposed to quite a bit more weather and usage (on an annual basis) than on the east coast, for example.

The distance is a big problem but not sure what else to do (Iíve been holding out for over 1 year and still canít get my hands on one). I'll definitely organize a couple visits in each go. I'm a little fortunate in that my work takes me to Australia and California where some of the boats are located, so that helps...but still major hassle (note: you donít really appreciate the sailing community in US until you live outside it for any length of time). Also, my parents are based on the east coast, so my dad, who knows quite a bit about sailboats, can make spot visits around his area if need be.

Anyhow, I sincerely appreciate the comments and Iím really happy there is a good community on Sailnet. It is a great site!

Thanks! Adam
Old 05-13-2009
Banned

dorothy is on a distinguished road
There's a guy with a website who sailed solo around the world on a Mariah 31, and had much to say about the boat. I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the site but pretty sure it's still online. Maybe someone else does?

The bottom line is, he wished he had opted for the PS37, and said that that would have been a much better choice. The only specific complaints I can recall were constant leaks -- everything was wet all the time. Can't recall if the leaks came from the hull-to-deck seal, or if it was just ports and hatches. He wrote a book about his trip, so you have lots of reading if you can find it.

Note: He finally moved up to a PS37, then switched to a trawler for PSW exploring. I think his name was Peter something.
Old 05-14-2009

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
I think the link you speak of is:
2. The Boat

Jay
Old 05-14-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Interesting website. That guy has been around, literally.

One nitpick: In the first line he mentions that he circumnavigated in a "Crealock Mariah 31". But the PSC Mariah 31 had no connection to Bill Crealock. It was a Henry Mohrschladt design. Bill Crealock came in later and designed a series of boats for PSC which ultimately replaced the earlier Mohrschladt designs including the Mariah 31.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 05-12-2010

potsofdoe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to potsofdoe
Mariah 31

I have a Mariah 31. She is a heavy, slow boat that is extremely user friendly. Single handed she will take care of you wherever you want to go. When things have got rough I have simply got more impressed, but no-one will wager on me in a race!

Mine was built at the factory and the interior woodwork is exemplary, I have heard horror tales of the kit version. Inspection is a must.

It took me a while to appreciate the staysail, but now I wouldn't be without it

I love this old girl, she'll last me out.

Alan