Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009

orientalnc2010 is on a distinguished road
moving mainsheet boom bail aft

I'm having a dodger made for my PSC31 crealock and my canvas man suggested that I move the boom bail for the mainsheet further aft to allow for a dodger that will go beyond the bridgedeck.(the traveler is located on the bridgedeck) As rigged now the mainsheet bail is directly over the traveler, will this change in the angle of the mainsheet create any problems?
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC
One of the two happiest days in a sailors life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by orientalnc2010 View Post
I'm having a dodger made for my PSC31 crealock and my canvas man suggested that I move the boom bail for the mainsheet further aft to allow for a dodger that will go beyond the bridgedeck.(the traveler is located on the bridgedeck) As rigged now the mainsheet bail is directly over the traveler, will this change in the angle of the mainsheet create any problems?

It really depends on how stoutly everything is and how great the loads that it will be subjected to.
Normally, in my experience, small changes, (which is a completely relative term) won't cause a real problem.
Old 05-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
It really depends on how stoutly everything is and how great the loads that it will be subjected to.
Normally, in my experience, small changes, (which is a completely relative term) won't cause a real problem.
Hi Knothead,
One thought I had since posting the question is that by moving the bail back the mainsheet will now put a great deal of force forward directly to the gooseneck. Since sailing to weather is unavoidable there could be a great deal of force forward on the gooseneck when the wind pipes up.
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC

Old 05-01-2009

MC1 is on a distinguished road
I'll let other more experienced sailors answer the question about forces that could be incurred if you move the bail back (although many seem to prefer end of boom sheeting instead of mid-boom to help protect the boom in case of a knock-down, so maybe further back is actually better in that sense). Personally though, I wouldn't let a canvas maker solve his/her problems by asking me to modify my boat - making life easy for him/her then creates potentially more serious unknowns for me.

I just had canvas made up for my PSC '34, and it was very helpful to the canvas maker that I had previously surfed the web and captured many photos of canvas on other PSC '34s (from Yachtworld, other Canvas shops web sites such as Mobile Canvas crealock Page, etc.). This gave my canvas maker ideas on how to solve layout problems specific to that boat. The pictures often showed several different solutions to the same problem. It'll also let you see what you like and don't like before you commit to a particular design. I'd recommend you spend some time fishing for pics first.
Old 05-01-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Hi Steve,

I guess that would work okay. But by moving the bail farther aft, you will effectively be choosing between more dodger or more bimini. In the hotter climate where we sail, I would always go for more bimini -- but in New England you might choose differently. Are you still planning to relocate to the Carolinas?

On our 31, we have two attachment points on the boom for the mainsheet. We use the further forward location, which is vertically above the traveller (when it and the boom are centerlined). This gives the best sheeting angles of the two choices. Even positioned here, we could have a much larger dodger than we do.

Our other attachment point is about a foot aft of the one we use. It works, but the sheeting angles are not quite so good (especially with the sheet eased out on a deep reach) and it would interfere with our bimini more.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 05-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Hi Steve,

I would always go for more bimini -- but in New England you might choose differently. Are you still planning to relocate to the Carolinas?

Thanks John,
Good point since we ARE relocating to NC, just a matter of when the time is right to sell here.
The slot to physically move around the pedestal guard and the mainsheet is tight, moving the bail back will make it impossible to move around with the dodger up. It will be up 99.9% of the time, I guess I just answered my own question.
I did contact my sailmaker today, he did not recommend changing the relationship of the bail on the boom and the traveller. He did say that he has saw this done on a boat he worked on and the owner ended up moving things back to their original position.
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC

Old 05-01-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by orientalnc2010 View Post
The slot to physically move around the pedestal guard and the mainsheet is tight, moving the bail back will make it impossible to move around with the dodger up. It will be up 99.9% of the time, I guess I just answered my own question.
Steve,

I agree that your best bet is to leave it as is.

The good news is that, because our design is a very "dry" boat, and because of the large bridgedeck, even a moderate sized dodger offers plenty of protection from the elements. We have a mini, scuttle-dodger that only covers the immediate companionway hatch and bridgedeck -- and it is more than adequate.

Really what you are trying to achieve is protection against rain entering through the companionway hatch -- there is very little spray that boards this boat in normal conditions.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 05-03-2009

lsbrodsky is on a distinguished road
Need the bimini!

Sorry, I don't check here every day anymore. John is right! I sailed Asylum up North for 5 years, nice big dodger, no bimini. In fact I did not know how to put a bimini on the boat given the traveler location. But, I was fine that whole time. After one year in NC I badly needed a bimini and saw how some other 31 owners had mounted one to the rail. I had a hard dodger made by Wavestopper installed and I built my own bimini. Down here for any serious sailing you need both. I continue to say that the only drawback to the 31 is that you cannot tie the dodger and bimini together under sail. However, I did make a piece that snapped to the dodger and zipped to the bimini to tie them together at anchor. Don't move your boom bail, you need the bimini.

Larry

Last edited by lsbrodsky; 05-06-2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: typing