Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
Lavac Head Install Pictures

Attached are pictures of the installation of the Lavac toilet on our PSC 37. What I like most was getting rid of almost 10' of hose and complications! While hard to see, the picture from under the sink shows just a single line running to the discharge seacock. Sweet. This weekend we go for our first sail (and head trial)!

Jay, PSC 37, Kenlanu, # 171
Attached Thumbnails
Lavac Head Install Pictures-lavacwithpump.jpg   Lavac Head Install Pictures-lavacseatcatch.jpg   Lavac Head Install Pictures-plumbingundersink.jpg   Lavac Head Install Pictures-lavacdooropen.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2009

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Jay:
Congratulations - I bet you're glad that project is "behind" you. Thanks for the pictures.

Any pictures of the access door you had to create to remove your old throne?

So it's plumbed so everything always goes to the holding tank and from there can be either discharged overboard or pumped out?

I've read Lavac owners' raves about their head. Let us know how it works out.
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 05-22-2009

billbalme is on a distinguished road
Well done Jay - enjoy your sail! I'll be thinking of you while installing bilge pumps and fuel tanks this weekend.

Bill
Old 05-22-2009

Head access door

Dear Ted, Yes, I can laugh now but while trying to get the hose connections made there were other, less pleasant sounds out of my mouth! BTW, right at the end and quite by accident I found that the best way to warm and bend the relucatnt head hose was by leaving it with a regular 75W light bulb in a simple (cheap) reflector fitting under it for a while!

There are two Y valves: The first is just under the pump visible in the picture and selects either from the head or the holding tank. Fluids go up through the loop and on the way down encounter the second Y valve which is either to the tank or overboard. Lots of choices with little fuss.

The access door has a piece of 1/4" ply glued to the back of the teak cover board. the 1/4" ply just fits the opening so the ply, not the bolts, prevents the cover from moving up, down, or sideways. The bolts go through the teak cover, through the ply, and then through a 3/4" X 3/4" board which is longer than the opening so that it acts as a clamp when the bolts are tightened. Complicated to describe but simple to construct.

Jay, PS 37, Kenlanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisatx View Post
Jay:
Congratulations - I bet you're glad that project is "behind" you. Thanks for the pictures.

Any pictures of the access door you had to create to remove your old throne?

So it's plumbed so everything always goes to the holding tank and from there can be either discharged overboard or pumped out?

I've read Lavac owners' raves about their head. Let us know how it works out.
Attached Thumbnails
Lavac Head Install Pictures-lavacaccessdoor.jpg  
Old 05-22-2009

no sailing for us

Unfortunately the engine electrical system is giving us fits due to saltwater spraying out of the exhaust system for how long???? Lots of erratic ground problems that settled in over the winter and which the surveyor completely missed. So no sailing for us this weekend! Grrrr..

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbalme View Post
Well done Jay - enjoy your sail! I'll be thinking of you while installing bilge pumps and fuel tanks this weekend.

Bill
Old 05-23-2009

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the additional picture of your access panel - looks like it came from the factory that way. I like the simplicity of the Lavac system.

In contrast, this past winter we bareboated on a new Hunter which had an electric head plumbed to use seemingly 3gals/ wet flush from the already small fresh water tanks. We soon repurposed a few empty 1 gallon water jugs to retrieve seawater and used it on the dry flush setting. I know some folks prefer to use fresh water only to flush as it cuts down on odors.

I guess the Lavac system requires sea water intake vs. using the head sink faucet / wand as the Lavac seat lid must be down whilst "evacuating".
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 05-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisatx View Post

I guess the Lavac system requires sea water intake vs. using the head sink faucet / wand as the Lavac seat lid must be down whilst "evacuating".
Trying to keep with the "Simplicity" theme, we are just using the drain plug in the sink while flushing. We'll see how it goes when, we hope, we get our first sailing next weekend.

Jay