Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft

SVArgo is on a distinguished road
No Dickinson on a 37?

Well Gents,

After making a reasonable case for why I should go with the pot burner style, it looks like it just won't fit on the 37. The Dickinson Newport heater requires 48" of flue run to work as well as 48" from the top of the heater to the cabin ceiling, which puts the heater in the settee.

I drew up a little sketch showing the best arrangement, which won't work from a heater performance perspective, unfortunately I can't post a PDF or anything else reasonable.

What I don't know is what the flue run requirements are for the Refleks unit; do any of you that have them installed know? I could not find any technical information on the web.

Also, any Pac Sea owners out there with experience in locating the heater, and what the performance is? I am reluctant to go to a large amp draw forced air furnace, like Wallas, but looks like that may be the only functional option.

Ryan
Old 10-14-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVArgo View Post
Well Gents,

After making a reasonable case for why I should go with the pot burner style, it looks like it just won't fit on the 37. The Dickinson Newport heater requires 48" of flue run to work as well as 48" from the top of the heater to the cabin ceiling, which puts the heater in the settee.
Yeah, that is what I was alluding to in my previous post when I mentioned the low-profile chimney cap on our propane heater. In order to get the required flue length for the diesel heaters, it normally has to protrude above deck quite a bit higher, plus the charlie noble.

I went through all these machinations back when we put ours in and couldn't solve the diesel flue/draft issue without it protruding too high above deck. But that was for a 31 and our mounting options were much more limited. I would have thought you could get it down near the cabin sole along the forward bulkhead. Do you have the standard folding table in the salon, or the more conventional centerline table version? Could you mount it on the forward side of the galley protrusion?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2009
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft

SVArgo is on a distinguished road
37 Arrangement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Yeah, that is what I was alluding to in my previous post when I mentioned the low-profile chimney cap on our propane heater. In order to get the required flue length for the diesel heaters, it normally has to protrude above deck quite a bit higher, plus the charlie noble.

I went through all these machinations back when we put ours in and couldn't solve the diesel flue/draft issue without it protruding too high above deck. But that was for a 31 and our mounting options were much more limited. I would have thought you could get it down near the cabin sole along the forward bulkhead. Do you have the standard folding table in the salon, or the more conventional centerline table version? Could you mount it on the forward side of the galley protrusion?
John,

I definitely see what you mean. Our 37 has an L-shaped starboard settee with the short leg of the L against the forward bulkhead, so we can't get the stove down near the sole unless we shift it inboard right next to the passage forward to the head and V-berth, which I think is a non-starter as far as safety underway is concerned.

Our table is a bit of an oddball, it is a hinged folding table that mounts against the forward side of the galley protrusion.

The best solution that we've brainstormed so far is to get rid of that table and mount either a bulkhead or floor mounted heater just forward of the galley island, and get one of those nice ($$) bulkhead mounted tables with storage behind it, although I'm not a 100% sure how well it will work with our settee configuration.

Ryan
Old 10-15-2009

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
I haven't seen much about the on deck line snag issues in this thread so I thought I'd add my un-conventional (cause that's how I am ) solution. This was a Dickensen Newport Propane bulkhead heater dual flue pipe on my previous C320. I used 3 boom bails - never a snag. Not that cheap at around $100+ if I remember at all correctly, but it had to be cheaper than anything from a factory..... I thought at the time anyway

Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 10-15-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyleigh View Post
I haven't seen much about the on deck line snag issues in this thread so I thought I'd add my un-conventional (cause that's how I am ) solution. This was a Dickensen Newport Propane bulkhead heater dual flue pipe on my previous C320. I used 3 boom bails - never a snag. Not that cheap at around $100+ if I remember at all correctly, but it had to be cheaper than anything from a factory..... I thought at the time anyway

Stan, that is a nice arrangement. I like that it is effectively six-sided -- less likely to get snagged than the 4-leg factory cap guard.

I'm not sure it is cheaper than the factory option, but I can no longer remember what I paid for our cap guard. I'm sure I wouldn't have paid anything like $100, given that I only paid about $570 for the heater. The Dickinson cap guard also has a wind/spray shield incorporated into the design:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-15-2009

Quote:

Our table is a bit of an oddball, it is a hinged folding table that mounts against the forward side of the galley protrusion.
I think that is the standard arrangement on the Crealock 37. I have also seen more conventional centerline tables (with folding leaves), which would free up the forward side of the galley. But it would seem a hassle (and expensive) if you had to reconfigure the salon just to accommodate the heater.

Hmmm. I feel like I've seen heaters mounted to the forward bulkhead in the salon of Crealock 37s. I'll poke around and see if I have any photos in my files....

Old 10-15-2009

Ryan,

Sorry, but I couldn't find those photos I was thinking of. However, I did thumb the C37 brochures a bit.

I remembered the older brochure showing your table as the standard, but the newer one I have here shows the centerline table as standard with an option for a bulkhead mounted table. Irregardless, any one of the standard configurations is tricky for mounting a diesel heater down on or near the cabin sole against the forward bulkheads.

However, the starboard forward bulkhead would be an fine location for a propane heater. The Dickinson Newport propane heaters only require a 24" flue. You could even fit one on the smaller port bulkhead (less preferable, but possible).

Also, you previously mentioned an all-up cost of around $2K for the Dickinson diesel heater. That seems high to me. Have you looked at Go2Marine? They have all their Dickinsons (diesel and propane) on sale:

Diesel Boat Heaters

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 10-15-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-15-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I had to go lower profile, as my sheets sweep that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyleigh View Post

There are few things that fray my nerves more than an avoidable sheet hang-up, since I single hand much of the time.

I went with 4 pieces of 1/8" x 3/4" SS that make a 45 dgree angle with the deck. This takes up more footprint, but I have a lot of deck and it is a place I don't walk. I also copied the splash araingment in the forward quarter.

Scraps and about $0.75 for the screws. The heater (Dickson p-9000) was enough. I'm happy with the heater; very clean, no monoxide (have a monitor), no dampness.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 10-16-2009

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
Oh dear

This is exactly what I did not want to hear but had feared.
I have searched for installation (especially flue) requirements for the Refleks. I found a file titled "Refleks Directions" but because it is a .pdf file can't post it here. It is very clear that the oil fill line on the reservoir must be at least 8" below the bottom of a gravity tank which is difficult enough if you want to mount the stove over the port setee/bunk and still be able to get your feet under the stove while sleeping.

I could find nothing about the flue height requirements anywhere. I may call Hamilton marine and see what they say.

On the Pearson Vanguard on which I installed a Refleks previously I made MAJOR modifications to be able to mount it at floor level which gave four or five feet of pipe inside the boat plus the cap outside. Clearly we would be dealing with lots less inside height when mounted on the bulkhead on the PSC 37.

Oh dear, Jay # 171, Kenlanu
=-0=-0=-0=-0=-0=-0=-0=-0=-0=-0=-0=-0=-0=-0

Quote:
Well Gents,

I drew up a little sketch showing the best arrangement, which won't work from a heater performance perspective, unfortunately I can't post a PDF or anything else reasonable.

What I don't know is what the flue run requirements are for the Refleks unit; do any of you that have them installed know? I could not find any technical information on the web.

Also, any Pac Sea owners out there with experience in locating the heater, and what the performance is? I am reluctant to go to a large amp draw forced air furnace, like Wallas, but looks like that may be the only functional option.

Ryan
Old 10-17-2009

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
Refleks Flue height follow-up

The person to contact at Hamilton Marine is Daryl (800) 639-2715. Unfortunately he is not there until Monday.

I found one reference online to the Refleks flue height in a blog/discussion. For what it is worth they said that the flue length should be 100 CM or about 40 inches. Mounting the stove over the port bunk with room for my toes leaves only 28" before the ceiling so that would need an additional 12" outside. Hmmmm.

Jay, PSC # 171, Kenlanu in the cold.

PS that blog discussion was at
Equipment: Comforts of the creature – choice and installation of diesel heater « Hot Shot Kaskelot

JP