Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009

johnharch is on a distinguished road
Rudder shaft packing on a 34

I seem to be taking on a little water through my rudder shaft when motoring. Since I will be hauling the boat for bottom work and a survey this winter, I wanted to repack it while it was out. Does anyone have any tips that I should know before I start this? My biggest concern is that I can't get back to it and will have to find a very small person to do it. Access to the systems behind the engine are my biggest/only complaint about my 34, I'm just to big to get back there. I've actually been stuck down there and needed to be pulled out.

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2009

saildork is on a distinguished road
John, You might consider posting this question on the 'Gear & Maintenance' forum, also. You might get more responses there. Sorry I can't help you with your query ...I sail a boat with an outboard. Anyway, good luck with the water ingress problem. I'm sure some of the folks here will have a solution to your problem.

Pat
Old 09-04-2009

saildork is on a distinguished road
John, You might consider posting this question on the 'Gear & Maintenance' forum, also. You might get more responses there. Sorry I can't help you with your query ...I sail a boat with an outboard. Anyway, good luck with the water ingress problem. I'm sure some of the folks here will have a solution to your problem.

Pat
Old 09-05-2009
Coastal Carolinas

Norstar is on a distinguished road
John,
Your right about it being a very tight space. I had the same problem with water ingress while motoring and needed to repack the rudder post gland. No way could I fit back there. My wife volunteered to tackle the job. She is 5'2" and petite. She was able to wriggle her way back there and did the repair in 15 minutes. She claims it was a piece of cake. Loosen 3 bolts and lift the collar of the gland up. Pull out the old packing with a packing pic tool, install new packing and snug up the bolts. No more leaks.

John S.
PSC 34 #201
"Norstar"
Norstar Ventures, LLC
Old 09-05-2009

Thanks John,
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Now all I need to do is find a very small person who is not claustrophobic.

Did you have the boat out of the water when you did it, or can this be donw in the water?
Old 09-07-2009
Coastal Carolinas

Norstar is on a distinguished road
John,

We did the re-pack while in the water. The packing point is above the waterline. Thats why you only notice the leak when your undereway when the stern is squatting down in the water a bit. Best of luck on your repair. Let us know how you make out.

John S.
PSC 34 #201
"Norstar"
Old 09-07-2009

spirit2006 is on a distinguished road
Repacking rudder post

Hi:

Access back there is very difficult. I'm not a big guy but I too have been stuck and pulled out by my belt. The only time I've repacked the rudder post was when we repowered and the engine was out, but since then I have cut an access hatch at the rear of the quarter berth which gives me accesc to the post so I can tighten the adjustment. If I had cut the access port before repowering I could have repacked through it.

This is one of the few design flaws on this boat. I got the access idea from my prior ownership of a Morgan 38. Good Luck

David and Jo on Spirit
Old 09-12-2009

Thanks David, I've been thinking about doiing that and also putting an access plate in the cockpit sole. Now that I know someone else has done it and it helps, I'm pretty sure I will. I am very troubled by not being able to access those critical systems in an emergency.

My memory is getting worse every year. David, didn't I just meet you in Port McNeil?
Old 09-14-2009
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
I am also planning on cutting an access hatch on the quarter birth. Would live any tips, pictures, designs anyone has of the job.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-14-2009
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnharch View Post
Thanks David, I've been thinking about doiing that and also putting an access plate in the cockpit sole. Now that I know someone else has done it and it helps, I'm pretty sure I will. I am very troubled by not being able to access those critical systems in an emergency.

My memory is getting worse every year. David, didn't I just meet you in Port McNeil?
A member of the Orion Yahoo group put two bronze access plates at just the right place in the cockpit sole to get to the rudder shaft packing and in good proximity of the quadrant. if i can dig up the pics i'll post them here.

besides that, you think its bad getting into that space in a 34? try an Orion..wheeeeeew