SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cape Horn Windvane Group Order for PSC 34/37

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Capnblu 
#1 · (Edited)
Dear folks, I am about to order a Cape Horn Windvane for our 1985 Pacific Seacreaft Crealock 37. I contacted Yves at Cape Horn about the discount for a group order. His response was " I agree to include both Crealock 34 and 37 in the same group purchase, as both use the same model. Our normal discount is 15% for three orders, 20% for 10 and 25% for 15 or more. I hope you convince at least 15 owners!"

So, any Crealock 34 or 37 owners ready to take the plunge? If you have not done so yet, check out Dave Dias' favorable review and fabulous installation on his 37. Thread title = Cape Horn Steering on PS 37

Please note this group order is limited to JUST Crealock 34s and 37s. I hope to order in about three weeks.

Jay, PSC 37, # 171, Kenlanu

#5 ·
Has anyone seen or heard of a 34 with the Cape Horn integrated into the steering quadrant? The 34 doesn't have much room to allow the Cape Horn's 8 inch steering quadrant the 360 degree movement it needs to rotate. It's hard enough to reach up to work on the boat's own steering quadrant.
Their web site shows a configuration where the quadrant is mounted in the cockpit with lines running to the steering wheel like a Monitor, but then it negates the benefits of the integrated part.

#6 ·
Has anyone seen or heard of a 34 with the Cape Horn integrated into the steering quadrant?

I don't know the answer to this. You may want to contact the owner of Cape Horn, Yves Gelinas at the address, mail at capehorn dot com. Yves is always interesting to talk to, has installed a lot of the systems himself, and can tell you what does and does not work.

Jay

PSC 37, # 171, Kenlanu

#7 ·
Jay,

A question: Is the model that you are ordering the integrated one that requires some mechanical elements, i.e., the quadrant, inside the vessel as described on the Cape Horn website? And if so, would Cape Horn still give a discount if it was a mixed back of integrated and outboard models?

I'm definitely not interested in an integrated model; I want all the elements of the wind vane to be external save the mounting brackets, e.g. Hydrovane.

#8 ·
I would rather have a Hydrovane, than any of the servo pendulum / lines into the cockpit wrapped around the wheel systems. I am sure they work fine, lots of torque to turn the wheel etc. But I think if you are serious about a self steering unit, you owe it to yourself to consider the advantage of having a backup steering system independent of what your boat came with. I personally went and looked at as many different systems, installed on various boats. To me the hands down winner is the Hydrovane. If saving money is your deciding factor, go for the bulk rate.

#9 ·
Cape Horn Windvane -- integrated model

Dear Ryan, The model we are considering is the Jean-du-Sud integrated model which is pictured beautifully installed by Dave Dias at

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/56087-cape-horn-steering-ps-37-a.html

If it were me I'd call Yves at Cape Horn to talk about the models. He is a kind and gentleman who can help you think through the best model.

When/if you speak with Yves ask him about a combined order with different models. I imagine the answer is that the discount only applies to the same model (Jean du Sud) but he is the man.

Jay

PSC 37, Kenlanu

#10 ·
Cape Horn VS Hydrovane

Dear Capnblu,

I also seriously considered the Hydrovane. The thing that decided me against the Hydrovane were a couple of reports from owners that the unit was fine in light to moderate wind but would be overpowered in heavy air. If I have to choose I'd prefer just the opposite.

Jay, PSC 37, Kenlanu

P.S With the Cape Horn there are no lines to the wheel but rather lines belowdecks to pulleys installed on the quadrant . To use, simply pull the lines tight through a pair of jam cleats (usually on the back of the cockpit) and the unit is set. [See attached Photo] It is an elegantly engineered product as you can see from the photos of Dave Dias' instillation at

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/56087-cape-horn-steering-ps-37-a.html

JP

Attachments

#11 ·
Last Call for Cape Horn Windvane Order

Well, slightly longer than the "three weeks" I had hoped for but the time has come to place the Cape Horn Windvane order. If you are ready to send in $$ for one of these superbly engineered vanes for a PSC 34 or PSC 37 please let me know. I'll be sending my order in on Friday. Right now myself and one other person are firmly committed. A third will result in a 15% savings off the current price of $3,460 or $519. Unfortunately the price of the windvane is up for US residents because the US and Canadian dollars are just about on par. Most experts agree, however, that the US dollar may weaken further so I think it time to get this order in.

If you want in on the group order PM me. The order will be "in" when all the checks arrive at the Cape Horn factory in Canada.

Jay

#12 ·
After inspecting all the vendors units at the boat show and talking to them, I've decided to go with a Hydrovane.

As for the overpowering, it has a damping system on it for higher winds, which is supposed to address that issue. Have anyone had experience with that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.